Pinned The John Wayne Birthplace and Learning Center

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 285 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kcat.

• The John Wayne Birthplace and Learning Center

Received a flyer this morning from
      The Birthplace of John Wayne,and is 'signed' by Ethan Wayne.

It relates to the opening of
      The John Wayne Birthplace and Learning Center.
      The Birthplace is developing a new 8,500 sqft. museum adjacent
      to The Birthplace.
      This new facility will provide an exciting interactive,
      experience for the whole family.

There will be a new Theater,
      Airplane Display e.t.c.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• YOU Can Help Make A John Wayne Museum A Reality!

Howdy everyone!

I realize I'm a 'newbie' here and I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds by posting a new thread, but I've spent a great deal of time the last few weeks scanning the Internet visiting John Wayne sites, and by far this seems to be THE place to be for dedicated John Wayne enthusiasts.

There are a lot of threads here decrying the lack of a museum devoted to John Wayne, a lot of people wondering why one does not exist and discussing how to get one going. Some like Chillbill are doing their very best and seem to be spending a lot of effort but not making much progress. Getting a genuine museum built is a very difficult and expensive process, and requires the efforts of a lot of dedicated people.

A John Wayne museum is indeed in the works (and has been for several years) here in Winterset, Iowa, adjacent to the Duke's birthplace home. I'm on the Birthplace board and we have plans for an 8,500 square foot state-of-the-art, world-class museum devoted to honoring the great legacy of John Wayne. The Wayne family HAS committed to giving us a larger than life size statue of Wayne and to donate and/or loan many of Wayne's items for the museum. The museum will include a 50-seat theatre, interactive video displays and a learning center. This will not just be dusty rooms with a few artifacts in display cases, but an exciting, stimulating environment for people to learn about John Wayne through his life and his films, and to ensure that future generations come to know and understand the qualities for which he stood. You'll find information about the plans for the museum at johnwaynebirthplace.org/museum.html.

We've been in the fundraising process now for a year. The City of Winterset, Madison County and the local banks have all made siginifcant committments, and we are actively seeking the support of corporate donors. You would think businesses would jump at the chance to support a John Wayne museum but such is not the case. Our fundraisers tell us there is always reluctance until some firm comes on board with a major ($100,000+) commitment. After that it is much easier to get funding from more organizations ("Oh, well--if Wells Fargo is supporting the museum I guess we can too"). Our hope was to have Ethan Wayne turn the first shovel for the groundbreaking this May 26th on Wayne's 100th birthday, but we were told at the board meeting last night not to expect that. It appears there won't be sufficient funding in place by that date to be certain we can go ahead with our plans. Instead we were told we should just be promoting Ethan unveiling the statue. :sad:

Frankly, I am frustrated as hell. What could be a more perfect time to have the groundbreaking than on Wayne's 100th birthday? Ethan will be here regardless, and we're having a real shoot-em-up celebration for the birthday as well (see johnwaynebirthplace.org/centennial) but the publicity and editorial stories this groundbreaking would generate worldwide would be an enormous boost for the museum. I HATE to see this fantastic opportunity wasted!

So why am I posting this? I'm hoping to be able to generate some grassroots support from those of us who love John Wayne. If you have any contacts at firms who would be likely to contribute, talk to them and/or let me know. You may be a customer of a company that would be interested--write a letter to the president. Tell your friends and family, contact your local newspaper or TV or radio stations. Anything you can think of to help spread the word and generate publicity and interest will make it much easier for companies to justify donating to help make the John Wayne museum happen. Right now we're just this little town in the Midwest, so it's often difficult to even get our foot in the door. But the more widely this is known, the more people know about the museum, the more likely companies will be to listen and/or contribute. There's John Wayne fans worldwide here, and each one of us can multiply the impact we have many times over if we work together.

Don't just complain that there's no museum devoted to John Wayne, DO something to make it happen! Can we utilize the power and reach of the legions of the Duke's fans here on the Internet to make a difference? It sure would be fun to try and see what we can accomplish!

Feel free to contact me at centennial@johnwaynebirthplace.org. Thank you for reading this, and hopefully joining in. Think how great you'll feel knowing YOUR efforts helped make it possible!

Wayne Davis
      The Birthplace of John Wayne
      johnwaynebirthplace.org
    • Re: YOU Can Help Make A John Wayne Museum A Reality!

Hi Wayne,

Great to hear from you, and as a member of The Birthplace,
      it's great to have you aboard!

Thanks for your most informative post, and the great detail that you have posted.
      Ironically, I received a flyer, relating to the opening,
      and I have posted this, at the top of this thread.

This is the greatest and most friendliest site relating to Duke,
      and here you will find his most true and loyal fans.
      There is no further need to seach the web,
      this is the place to be.

We are always mentioning The Birthplace here,
      and I couldnt count the number of times,
      that your web-link has been posted.
      We have always been on a friendly basis,
      and it is gratifying that you
      have taken the time to join us here.

Welcome, good luck and thanks!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Re: The 'New' John Wayne Birthplace and Learning Center

You should be hitting up people like Dino De Laurentiis. Ron Howard or Paramount. I'm sure they all made money off his last film. I know some of the studios aren't around anymore but there has to be some of his old friends that could get some corporate sponsors. Or one of those $1000 a plate dinners and invite all his old friends. That right there could be turned into a non-profit dinner and donated to the museum as a lump sum $100,000 donation. Use something of value to draw them to the function like giving away something from his last movie.

I know I'm one of them going to Winterset wanting to see the advertised groundbreaking ceremony. You might want to change it to read just the statue unveiling.

Where will the status be unveiled, close to the old birthplace, town square or somewhere close to where the new museum will be?

DakotaSurfer wrote:

You should be hitting up people like Dino De Laurentiis. Ron Howard or Paramount. I'm sure they all made money off his last film. I know some of the studios aren't around anymore but there has to be some of his old friends that could get some corporate sponsors. Or one of those $1000 a plate dinners and invite all his old friends. That right there could be turned into a non-profit dinner and donated to the museum as a lump sum $100,000 donation. Use something of value to draw them to the function like giving away something from his last movie.

I know I'm one of them going to Winterset wanting to see the advertised groundbreaking ceremony. You might want to change it to read just the statue unveiling.

Where will the status be unveiled, close to the old birthplace, town square or somewhere close to where the new museum will be?

A.C. Lyles is a producer who has been with Paramount since 1928 is on our board and he is doing what he can to spread the word and get some more of Wayne's Hollywood friends and co-workers to come. Ron Howard has been contacted but we're not received a reply yet. Maureen O'Hara unfortunately is not able to travel here from Ireland due to heath reasons. We are trying to assemble as many of these folks as we can. A VIP fundraising event that weekend with a larger-dollar attendance fee is being put together but that will be too late for us to have the committment necessary on a $6 million museum to be able to have the groundbreaking at that time.

The web site is in the process of being changed, probably to the "John Wayne Birthday Centennial Commemorative Ceremony" that will be held at the Birthplace, and we're planning to unveil the statue at that ceremony at noon on Saturday, May 26th. The statue is 9 feet tall, and pretty darn impressive from the photos we've seen!

Sounds great... at least Ethan will make it for that. Maureen I believe has been ill for awhile. She a great lady, I bet she has some pretty interesting stories with The Duke. Like I said we're staying at the Mariott so we'll see you there.

P.S. In some of his movies, he looked 9' tall...

Wayne,

If we haven't already welcomed you to the message board, we'd like to take this opportunity to do so.

In the past six months, a friend and I have been launching a little hot dog cart business, and one thing that has been impressed upon us is that you have to go where the people are. I would recommend that, in addition to seeking corporate donors, you might consider ebay. If you do a search for "john wayne" there, over 3000 auctions come up. That's volume, and certainly a HUGE audience. I think non-profits can utilize ebay, and it might be worth checking out, if you haven't already. Maybe there is some way to set up a "Buy It Now" auction with opportunities to make donations, and receive something in return. Between the Mrs. and myself, we'll see what we can find out about that possible avenue.

Again, in the corporate donor vein, I think I might have mentioned elsewhere the possibility of trying to get a list of donors who made the Ronald Reagan Presidential library possible - possibly some of those would feel friendly towards a John Wayne museum. Naturally, that would require almost full time efforts on someone's part to research it, so I don't suggest it lightly.

Wayne, thank you so much for your very well written appeal, and we will do our best to support your effort.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

Wayne I just checked out the website again and the "GROUNDBREAKING CEREMONY FOR THE NEW JOHN WAYNE MUSEUM with Ethan Wayne" is back on the schedule. Looks like they found enough contributions after all. Outstanding!

The listing was gone the other day but now it's back.

Well, we had another board meeting and decided to restore the groundbreaking to the event list. The fundraising situation still has not changed, and there may be quite a stretch of time between the May 26th groundbreaking and when the museum is finally finished and ready to open, but it was good to see that everyone on the Birthplace board is unified in our desire to do everything possible to make this John Wayne museum a reality. I am greatly relieved!

We are looking at ways to save on the costs of the museum project to help make it easier for companies to contribute, probably by seeing where we can save in some of the audio/visual bells and whistles, although I will fight hard against taking out too much of the stuff that will help make this a state-of-the-art museum. The fundraising efforts go on, of course. You can even contribute right on our website at johnwaynebirthplace.org/museum.html

Meanwhile, things keep ramping up for the John Wayne Birthday Centennial Celebration on May 25-27th. We've added a concert by Riders In The Sky and another performance of the John Wayne Birthday Wild West Revue (patterned after Buffalo Bills' Wild West and Congress of Rough Riders shows) to the Sunday May 27th event lineup. More information and the latest details can be found at johnwaynebirthplace.org/centennial

Things are really starting to shape up. I hope to see many of you at the Celebration!

Wayne Davis
      Birthplace of John Wayne

Once again.Wayne,

Many thanks for you most informative post,
      I am sure our members who
      will be very interested in all that's going on,
      and those fortunate to live near,
      will be joining in the fun.
      Wish I was one of them!!!
      Best Wishes
      Keith