Pinned The John Wayne Birthplace and Learning Center

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 285 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kcat.

• Re: The 'New' John Wayne Birthplace and Learning Center

My wife and I will pull into town on Friday morning and probably walk around the Emporium while they are setting up. Also to get a lay of the town for a good spot for the parade.

We're staying at the West Des Moines Marriott for 3 nights. It's about 29 miles from the Marriott to the Birthplace using I-80 and Hwy-169. Depending on the traffic. I've been through Des Moines during morning and evening rush hour. Not a pretty sight. But it's a simple drive using Exit 110 on I-80. If your driving into Des Moines from the west, the Marriott is at Exit 123B and you should see it from the Interstate. It's a non-smoking hotel which is what I have to have. Don't drink either but I can toast with soda... :)

We'll probably eat at the hotel dining room Friday night. It has both these places at the hotel.

CK's Steakhouse
      * American
      * Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner
      * Serving a wide selection of fine steaks, chops, wines and desserts in a casual setting

Fountains Lounge
      * American
      * Open for lunch and dinner
      * Offering beverages and light fare

I'm quite sure by that Friday night I'll be ready for a drink. Hell, I'm ready for a drink tonight! LOL This has pretty much been 10-18 hours a day job for two months now. Not much time being spent on my business, much more on this.

We're trying to work in a couple of showings of "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" with Harry Carey Jr. at the Iowa Theatre, the little movie house right on Winterset's Courthouse square. The pictures gives you a feel for what the theatre and square looks like. The theatre was renovated inside a few years ago, nice new seats (with drink holders!) great new sound system, etc. Not like the multiplex boxcars they shove you in these days, but not so big that it's not an intimate setting.

Wayne Davis
      Birthplace of John Wayne

That sounds like a good idea... advance tickets would be nice and the fact that Harry is going to attend. Almost looks like our quaint little theater here except ours has been turned into a playhouse type theater. We have a movie theater with two rooms but for a town our size we really don't have enough. We usually have to drive 50 miles to find a good movie around here. At least you all have Des Moines and a ton of places. Keep us informed Wayne, an early movie before or after supper than a drink somewhere. I'm sure many will be staying in the hotels on the west side of Des Moines. There's like 4 of them at our exit.

I've stuck this thread to keep it on top, and again, check out the info at the birthplace website..... complete with True Grit music playing in the background.

http://www.johnwayn ebirthplace. org/centennial/ index.html

Well folks, we've added some new stuff to the Birthday Centennial Celebration in Winterset May 25-27th (interesting how what is now called the "official" Newport Beach event also became a "Centennial Celebration" after I named our event that. Hmmm).

We're got 5 more Wayne family members coming as of today. Brings the unofficial total to about 3 dozen. Our plan for the groundbreaking for the new John Wayne Birthplace Museum and Learning Center is to sit Ethan on a bulldozer with a gold-painted blade and have him do the first demolition on the old eyesore gas station that's presently on the site. A bit more 'visual' for the TV news folks LOL. Plus a photo of the larger-than-life statue the Wayne's will be dedicating is below.

The Offical John Wayne Birthday Celebration Coins are available now at johnwaynebirthplace.org/centennial. Really nice, and just $10. A great souvenir if you're coming to our Celebration or even if you can't make it.

Edward Faulkner joins Gregg Palmer and Dean Smith at the Cowboy Symposiums. Ed was in Chisum, The Green Berets, Hellfighters, McLintock!, Rio Lobo and The Undefeated.

We're trying to set up FREE John Wayne movies shown in the local movie theatre on the courthouse square for all three days of the event, May 25-27. So if you've got some favorite John Wayne flicks you'd love to see on the big screen, please let me know.

Wayne Davis
      Birthplace of John Wayne
      johnwaynebirthplace.org

OK, kids--for all of you that ever wanted to see a John Wayne movie the way it was meant to be seen, now you can.

The Iowa Theatre in Winterset will be showing John Wayne movies during the John Wayne Birthday Centennial Celebration on May 25-27, 2007. Except for the 7pm "regular" movie they are contractually obligated to show, it will be all John Wayne all day--Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

It is not a huge theatre but it is a nice one, holds about 200. They put in a new sound system and seats a few years ago (cupholders!) and the same neat decor you'd expect from a place that's been around since the '20s.

Here's the best part. It's FREE! NO COST to get in to see the films! And the concessions are more reasonable than up the road in the Big City of Des Moines, too.

Now all we need to do is pick which movies to show . . . anyone have any ideas?

Wayne Davis
      Birthplace of John Wayne
      johnwaynebirthplace.org

Hot diggity dang... we can get together and watch movies on Friday afternoon. Popcorns on me... for site members that is.
      Even though the movies are free, maybe a bucket for donations to the new museum or the Birthplace Society.

The Duke, on the big screen, one.... more.... time....

I'm bringing my book for the authors to sign and I hope the other guys (Gregg, Dean, Ed and Harry if he comes) will have publicity photos to had out with autographs.

I think showing "Stagecoach", "Red River", "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon", The Quiet Man", "The Searchers", "True Grit" and "The Shootist" would be a good start. Those to me represent a kind of timeline if you will of his standout movies and a must for all fans to see and enjoy.
      Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
      -John Wayne

Sounds a lot like my list. I'm dying to see "The Searchers" and "The Quiet Man" on the BIG screen. And I've gotten very fond of "Rio Bravo" after watching the DVD a few weeks ago.

Wayne Davis
      Birthplace of John Wayne
      johnwaynebirthplace.org

Wow. I just read this whole thread and I have to say I am so jealous of all of you. You all are going to have such a great time! I certainly wish I could go. I'm sure the local media will be there, but do you think the national news will attend? Like CNN or something. It would be great exposure if they did. I think I will start sending some emails out to news people. That would be one way the rest of us could see the goings on. I have a question about the museum - will they be showing his films at the museum, I mean will there be a theatre that will continually show his films? Just wondering.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">