Across The Pond

There are 91 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 21,253 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi,

Just been digging around the 'Pals'

Don't forget Anna Lee,

One of the rare breed of Hollywood film stars,
    who was born in the UK! HOORAH!!!
    She was a pretty lady, and accomplished actor,
    and starred with Duke in 5 films,

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) (uncredited) .... Mrs. Prescott (widow in stage holdup)
    The Horse Soldiers (1959) .... Mrs. Buford
    Fort Apache (1948) .... Mrs. Emily Collingwood
    Flying Tigers (1942) .... Brooke Elliott
    Seven Sinners (1940) .... Dorothy Henderson

Not the same chemistry , as say Maureen, Claire, or Gail,
    but they acted well together.
    She was a regular in the John Ford Stock company
    and made many films with him.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Of course she is, I compiled the 'Pals' on her!!
    Well I was half way there, she died in France!!
    it's that accent that threw me!

There's also a few Germans, we won't mention!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Carl,

Quite frankly, I thought Belushi was Canadian and was surprised to find that he wasn't. Dan Akroyd is indeed Canadian, and of course you were right, so was John Candy.

Mrs. C :angel1:

Thanks again Mrs C. Boy I sure do miss John Candy's brand of comedy. By the way, he passed away in Mexico when I was a college student in Harlngen. I remember that he died somewhere around the time that Claude Akins and Telly Savalas passed away. Boy that was a bad year--for actors I greatly enjoyed.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Marlene was German, Keith. As is Gert Frobe, Curt Jurgens, Horst Buchholz and Peter van Eyck. Those are just a few of the Germans I remember though I'm sure there are quite a few more.

For Stumpy, here are a few more German actors you might have thought of but could not think of their names at the moment.

Anton Differing, Karl-Otto Alberty, Klaus Lowitsch, Werner Peters, Kurt Kruger, Wolfgang Priess, Thomas Kretschmann, Jurgen Prochnow, Johannes (Hannes) Messemer, Hans-Christian Blech, Theodor Bikel, Til Kiwi, Helmut Lohner, Sasha Hardin, Robert Graf, Harr Riebauer, Thayer David, Walter Gotell and Klaus Kinski; to name those I know.

• Boy I sure do miss John Candy's brand of comedy. .

Did you ever catch him on SCTV? Early in our marriage, the Mrs. and I used to stay up WAY too late on a Saturday night to watch him and the rest of the crew (Eugene Levy, Joe Flaherty, Rick Moranis, Andrea Martin, Catherine O'Hara) on SCTV. It was so full of commercials, it was annoying (that was in the days before we owned a video recorder - they were WAY too expensive). Then, back in '81 (imagine an old creaky voice here), we bought our first video camera and recorder for almost 2 grand, a big clunky camera with a big clunky recorder hanging on your side, but at least we could finally record TV shows! Although the impetus to get the whole shebang was our first child, then 18 months old - we HAD to have home movies of her, and the others to follow!!

And of course, when we watched SCTV, we could speed through the commercials! ! !

Chester :newyear: And the Mrs. :angel1:

• Did you ever catch him on SCTV? Early in our marriage, the Mrs. and I used to stay up WAY too late on a Saturday night to watch him and the rest of the crew (Eugene Levy, Joe Flaherty, Rick Moranis, Andrea Martin, Catherine O'Hara) on SCTV. It was so full of commercials, it was annoying (that was in the days before we owned a video recorder - they were WAY too expensive). Then, back in '81 (imagine an old creaky voice here), we bought our first video camera and recorder for almost 2 grand, a big clunky camera with a big clunky recorder hanging on your side, but at least we could finally record TV shows! Although the impetus to get the whole shebang was our first child, then 18 months old - we HAD to have home movies of her, and the others to follow!!

And of course, when we watched SCTV, we could speed through the commercials! ! !

Chester :newyear: And the Mrs. :angel1:

Hi Jim, Sue, I never had an opportunity to see any SCTV but had heard some about it. I can only just bet that they were all extremely funny on that show.

Here's a movie that I think you would like seeing if you have not seen it. It is called: Strange Brew and has Rick Moranis in it as one of the McKenzie brothers. Richard Kiel is in a scene or two. Anyway - ay, I thought that was one heck of a funny film -- ay. ;-D

• Leslie Nielsen was also Canadian born I have this image of would be comedians
    travelling south on the Canada/US border.

Hardy Kriger and Sean Bean would be others worth mentioning.

John Belushi was American born although his family originated from Albania.

Mike

• I really like Sean Bean. Although he played the bad guy, I thought he was excellent as Harrison Ford's nemesis in "Patriot Games". I have the movie ordered that Keith recommended about the SAS which also stars Sean Bean.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I really like Sean Bean. Although he played the bad guy, I thought he was excellent as Harrison Ford's nemesis in "Patriot Games". I have the movie ordered that Keith recommended about the SAS which also stars Sean Bean.

Sean Bean is also good in all those "Sharpes" movies -- which are set during the Napoleanic Wars.

• Jim,

One that springs to mind is this one
    check out,

Bravo Two Zero (1999)

Keith,

Got the above film you recommended in the mail this morning and watched it. Not a bad movie but this old country boy's Texas-trained ears had rather a tough time understanding the veddy proper Queen's English that made up the dialogue. They didn't have enough of a twang in their speech. :regular_smile:

• I thought he was perfect as the supercilious leftenant in "Zulu". Of course, I liked Stanley Baker as Leftenant Chard and the guy who played the Colour Sergeant much better. I also liked him in "Battle of Britain", "Victory" and "The Cider House Rules". But other than those four films, I agree his acting skills leave much to be desired.

I thought he was good in Kidnaped 1971, he actually used a believable scottish accent in it.
    Chris

• Robbie, this is a little off the topic (I can't think of more actors/actresses from the UK aside from the ones already mentioned), but I am curious about Goodnight, Mr. Tom, as I am reading the book right now. Is this a TV program or a movie? I'm really enjoying the book.

Mrs. C :angel1:

Goodnight, Mr. Tom was a BBC film which starred John Thaw.

Chris.

• Keith,

Got the above film you recommended in the mail this morning and watched it. Not a bad movie but this old country boy's Texas-trained ears had rather a tough time understanding the veddy proper Queen's English that made up the dialogue. They didn't have enough of a twang in their speech. :regular_smile:

Jim

I think you would enjoy "Sharpe," with Sean Bean, its a superb historical action packed TV series in which Bean made his name.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• how about nicholas lyndhurst david jasons stooge in fools the cast of auf weidersehen pet a brillant british series or richard wilson as victor meldrewor evev the cast of monty python

• Jim

I think you would enjoy "Sharpe," with Sean Bean, its a superb historical action packed TV series in which Bean made his name.

Rob,
    I did a search on a DVD site I know and came up with the following:

Sharpe's Eagle

$10.95

Sharpe's Rifles

$10.95

Sharpe's Company

$10.95

Sharpe's Enemy

$10.95

Sharpe's Honour

$10.95

Sharpe's Battle

$10.95

Sharpe's Gold

$10.95

Sharpe's Sword

$10.95

Sharpe's Mission

$10.95

Sharpe's Regiment

$10.95

Sharpe's Siege

$10.95

Sharpe's Justice

$10.95

Sharpe's Revenge

$10.95

Sharpe's Waterloo

$10.95

I guess $10.95 is a reasonable price for these discs but I was wondering what the running time is on each episode. Do you remember?

• Never mind, Rob. I found another site that shows the running time for the eps is 100 minutes and there are 15 episodes. I may order them from DDDVD, where they are about 11 or 12 dollars apiece. I think what I'll do is order 3 or 4 eps to see if I like them and if I do I'll order the remainder. Can you recommend some good eps?

• Hi Jim

As Ward Bond said in "The Quiet Man," I'll begin at the beginning and recommend "Sharpe's rifles," as this is the first instalment in the series and will allow you to understand some of the key elements on the overall story. The series however does not have to be watched in chronological order but I do recommend starting with this episode.

Aside from this I would recommend "Sharpe's Gold," "Sharpe's Mission," and "Sharpe's Siege". However I feel they are all very good with lots of action and good old British patriotism which is not often displayed within British films and TV programmes.

I was reading that this series did not take off in the USA, however I am confident you will enjoy it, and for me Bean resembles the closest thing that we have to John Wayne, at least as Sharpe he does.

Finally there was an episode of this series made in 2006 called "Sharpe's Challenge," which was rather good.

Regards
    Robbie