Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 338,162 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Beautiful Jim, just stunning

I couldn't resist this beautiful automobile. I posted the picture on my desktop monitor as so-called wallpaper background.

I change my desktop background quite often and usually I put a Western painting as "wallpaper" but when I saw this Cord auto, I thought to myself "that's for me".

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Just as good, or even better, was my chance discovery of William Manchester's completed biography of "The Last Lion", a trilogy of Sir Winston's life. Manchester died before he could complete the third volume and I had given up hope it would ever be completed. But imagine my happy surprise when I happened to see it in the same bookstore where I bought the first volume of Lady Thatcher's biography. Paid $84. for the two books but I consider it money well spent.

Well, in between watching Steven Seagal's movies, I've begun to read the third volume of PM Churchill's biography ("The Last Lion", mentioned above). I personally think Churchill was one of the greatest figures in human history and I sure am glad he was around during the late Thirties and early Forties to lead the fight against Hitler's Nazis. Otherwise, we'd all be speaking German.

• Ellen DeGeneres has been announced as the next Oscar host. I thought she was terrible the first time she hosted and she wore a red velvet pants suit which is not Oscaresque.

• As someone who's (more or less) technologically illiterate and extremely (some say "too") old-fashioned, I've often wished I had been born in 1838, a hundred years before my actual birth year. There's hardly anything in the way of movies, television, music or other forms of modern entertainment that appeal to me. But recently I discovered the TV series "Blue Bloods", starring Tom Selleck, Donnie Wahlberg, Bridget Moynahan and many others as people born and raised into a family of NYC cops and I must say, it was a pleasant surprise.

I've never watched the series on television - I just decided to buy Seasons 1 and 2 from Amazon to see what it was all about. I've fallen in love with the series and will definitely be buying more seasons of what is a great cop show. Highly recommended.

• I'm from a real life family of policemen. My grandfather was Chief of Detectives, my Dad was an old fashioned beat cop (when he drove the paddy wagon he was dubbed "The Wagonmaster"), my uncle was a desk sergeant and my brother served on the city force as well. I was an investigator with New York State.
    I've never missed an episode of Blue Bloods, but we do joke that NYC could fire the rest of the force and just let the family handle every crime in the city.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I'm from a real life family of policemen. My grandfather was Chief of Detectives, my Dad was an old fashioned beat cop (when he drove the paddy wagon he was dubbed "The Wagonmaster"), my uncle was a desk sergeant and my brother served on the city force as well. I was an investigator with New York State.
    I've never missed an episode of Blue Bloods, but we do joke that NYC could fire the rest of the force and just let the family handle every crime in the city.

We deal in lead, friend.

As a military retiree, I've always been a strong supporter of police forces because their duties are very close to those of GIs.

• Recently I discovered the TV series "Blue Bloods", starring Tom Selleck, Donnie Wahlberg, Bridget Moynahan and many others as people born and raised into a family of NYC cops and I must say, it was a pleasant surprise.

I've never watched the series on television - I just decided to buy Seasons 1 and 2 from Amazon to see what it was all about. I've fallen in love with the series and will definitely be buying more seasons of what is a great cop show. Highly recommended.

Although admittedly liking the series "Blue Bloods" very much, I sure don't care for the setting. I'm an old country boy and every time they show one of those New York skyline scenes (which is quite frequent), with miles and miles of skyscrapers, all filled with people, I give thanks to the Man above that I was lucky enough to have been born, raised and still living in a rural environment. I like my space. :wink_smile:

• Although admittedly liking the series "Blue Bloods" very much, I sure don't care for the setting. I'm an old country boy and every time they show one of those New York skyline scenes (which is quite frequent), with miles and miles of skyscrapers, all filled with people, I give thanks to the Man above that I was lucky enough to have been born, raised and still living in a rural environment. I like my space. :wink_smile:

You know Jim, I can't see you in one of those concrete jungles myself. You look to me more comfortable out on the range looking over the landscape with a good ole fashioned cup of coffee marveling how God could make such a breath-taking view. If you ever go to the city again (I'm sure you've been to one), I bet you will just choke to death. It is breath-taking! Maybe I'll get me a cup of coffee and just look to the west thinking what I miss that you see all the time. I'll be there soon enough buddy!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• You know Jim, I can't see you in one of those concrete jungles myself. You look to me more comfortable out on the range looking over the landscape with a good ole fashioned cup of coffee marveling how God could make such a breath-taking view. If you ever go to the city again (I'm sure you've been to one), I bet you will just choke to death. It is breath-taking! Maybe I'll get me a cup of coffee and just look to the west thinking what I miss that you see all the time. I'll be there soon enough buddy!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

Mike,
    When I retired from the service in 1978, the wife and I bought a new house near Dallas which, even then, was a fair-sized city, though certainly not on the scale of NYC, LA, Chicago, etc. We lived and worked there for about 8 years. I finally told the wife I was sick of all the traffic and people and wanted to move to the "country". So we sold our new house (which was the first house we'd ever owned) and moved to a small country town of about 3200 population. All they have in the immediate area are cattle ranchers and farmers. I love it.

And yep, good buddy, I do drink a lot of coffee. Ha

• That's the great thing about Ireland guys, I live 10 minutes away from my large town center but am surrounded by fields. The view out my back garden is snowy mountains all year round.

Your backyard view sounds wonderful, Duke. I love mountains, though there are none where I live. But once you leave the town boundaries where I live, all you can see for miles and miles are open prairies with the occasional patch of trees. Just like it was a hundred years ago.

• I wasn't sure where to post this, but since I observed it, this seems the likely place, lol My kids all got together over Thanksgiving and I saw my grand daughter with her new haircut for the first time and automatically thought "Oh my, she looks just like Kim Darby in True Grit. Here is a pic, am I right or what? lol

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I agree 1000% with Keith, Mark. Your beautiful little granddaughter does bear a startling resemblance to Kim Darby.

Maybe you should suggest a movie career to her. Lol