Any Duke Fans in Bay Area, Calif?

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,933 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello duke fans,

Wondering if any Duke fans are in the Bay Area, California. More specifically, in the Silicon Valley?

Happy birthday to Duke -- a Great American.

Cheers,
    HondoSam

Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

• Welcome HondoSam,

We are so glad to have you here at this message board. What a great weekend to join this site and be a part of the celebration. I am not from the bay area, actually I am from the deep south, but my friend and another moderator is sort of from you area. Chester is from Ben Lomond, Ca. He's in Arizona right now at the John Wayne celebration and should be home sometime tomorrow or Tuesday. He'll introduce himself soon.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and hope you find this place as special as we do. Take care and enjoy yourself here.

Cheers :cool: Hondo Duke Lane

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi HondoSam,

Welcome to the site...

I am from the south end of the silicon valley, worked in Sunnyvale for a lot of years.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Hello Hondo Duke Lane, Jay J, and erthomp143,

So glad there are a few in the area. Thanks for replying. I am familiar with Ben Lomond and Sunnyvale too. Look forward to exchanging comments on the Duke. I wish I had been able to go to the Arizona event -- how exciting. Do you know which family members had planned to be at that event?

Curious, do you know if Duke's last home in Newport is still owned by his family? I don't see anything about his children and grandchildren. I know Michael passed away several years ago and I think one of his daughters (Toni?).

Cheers,
    HondoSam

• Hello and welcome to the board, hondosam. Glad to have you here. As for the last house Duke lived in, in Newport, it no longer belongs to the family and has since been torn down and replaced by a more modern home by the new owners. Makes you wonder how they could have did that. Maybe they were not as big a fan of Duke's as we are :wink_smile: .

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• hondosam,

First of all, WELCOME to the John Wayne Message Board, without a doubt the best message board devoted to the Duke anywhere on the Internet!!

As Hondo Duke Lane (aka Hondo) has shared with you, the Mrs. and I call Ben Lomond home. We just got home yesterday from a week-long trip to Arizona, with 3 days at the 26 Bar Ranch with Chili Bill, 2 days with my mom in the Phoenix area, a few hours seeing the Grand Canyon and 2+ days driving to do it all. We did have a great time, and when the Mrs. has a little more time (maybe more than a week for that to happen!) we will share more photos of our week (check out Chili Bill's web site for some of the pictures).

As to your question about Wayne family members attending the Springerville/Eagar events this past weekend, the family was attending the events in Winterset, Iowa (John Wayne's birthplace, and the site of quite a centennial event - see other threads on this message board for more details). Dakota Surfer and SXViper were there, along with Nibbe and Baby Sis. Dakota Surfer has shared quite a bit about his time there, and SXViper has some neat pictures in his gallery.

Again - WELCOME!

Chester :newyear: