Tanzania: After Hatari - John Wayne

There are 2 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,958 times. The latest Post () was by SXViper.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "... Someday Pockets! Someday! I am gonna wring your neck.," fumed the soaked-to-the-skin, John Wayne, in one of the many animal-chasing scenes found in 'Hatari,' a movie in which, he was playing the leading role as Sean Mercer, the head animal trapper of Momella (Now Arusha National Park).

Pockets (Red Buttons), on the other hand, was that clown-funny, little driver, who had just dipped the nose of his rugged, speeding truck into a river, thus splashing Mercer (Wayne), who had strapped himself on the car's hood, with muddy water. Pockets merely dismissed the 'threats' with a laugh, "Not today Bwana! Not today... !"

He used to be the 'strong and silent' type of a movie star, who became a role-model for other Action and Adventure film actors. Born on the 26th of May 1907 in Winterset, Iowa, USA John Wayne, was popularly known as 'The Duke!', a title which 'Pockets' comically translated into 'Bwana' (Swahili term for 'Lord') in Hatari.

Declared the 'Greatest Male Star of all time,' by the American Film Institute, The Oscar winning, John Wayne who died in June 1979 then aged 72 left behind hundreds of films in which he either played a lead role, co-starred or helped to produce. In Tanzania he is mostly remembered for his 1962 role in Hatari! Which was set in Arusha.

Now the legendary American film icon, is just about to take onto a new role. John Wayne, is soon 'going out' to 'showcase' Tanzania, through a soon to be screened, new Television feature to be known as 'Beyond the list!'

The 30 minutes feature is being produced by the Los Angeles based, Bennett Productions of California. The works involved include 10 days of going round specific sites, with more than 40 hours of filming. The feature will cover, Arusha town, Arusha National Park, Momella Wildlife Lodge, Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Lake Manyara Parks. Parts of Dar-es-salaam City and Zanzibar island may also be thrown in.

But wait! Isn't John Wayne dead? Oh! Yes, the legendary film star passed away in 1979, about 20 years after he came to Arusha to take the leading role (as Sean Mercer) in the classic Adventure and Comedy feature, 'Hatari!' a film which since its debut release in 1962, remained an all-time family favorite and still gets rave reviews in most on-line movie sites.

The Duke has eyes!

Now! If John Wayne died 28 years ago, how exactly then, is the prima donna expected to star in this new TV feature? Maybe Ian Woods can explain. This is the British producer in charge of 'Beyond the list' project and who together with two film crews, comprising six people, jetted into Arusha last week, ready for the shooting.

"The theme behind the TV feature is 'Showcasing Tanzania through the eyes of John Wayne's Family!" He explained. Right, because even if John Wayne had lived, he would have been 100 years old now, rather retired and too aged to face the cameras ... Star at the age of 100? 'Not today Bwana! Certainly Not Today.'

However, that was the whole purpose of the family of the late John Wayne, to visit Arusha in the course of last week; They jetted here to pay a centennial homage to the Duke. That took place at the exact remote location (Momella), where John Wayne once stayed while filming Hatari.

So the riddle has been explained! It won't be the duke himself who will be facing the lenses, but rather his family. Yes, it will be through the eyes of this celebrated family, that the LA based, Bennett Productions want to explain Tanzania to the world ... in 30 minutes sharp.

Only half-an-hour? Considering Hatari's whooping 3 hours. Still, quite possible. I mean when taking into account the number of 'eyes' that the producers will be using in 'seeing Tanzania!' Patrick Wayne, the son of John Wayne and who is an accomplished actor himself, will provide the first pair of eyes.

There is also Patrick's own son, the stout Michael Wayne. He is the grandson of the legendary Duke. Mike came along with his wife, Christine and several children. (He should not be confused with the other Michael Wayne, the Duke's first born who however did not come to Arusha). Then again there is Melanie, Patrick's daughter and John Wayne's granddaughter ... 'Beyond the list 'seems to have adequate pairs of eyes.
    Now! Let the cameras roll. And the cameras in question are those giant HD types. "We are shooting the movie clips in High Definition, " Said Woods. "This is in order to reproduce realistic theatrical effects." He added.

Now looks like History is about to repeat itself. It took decades before copies of Hatari came to Tanzania (they are still few to date). It may take twice as long for 'Beyond the list' to make scene here. If it ever will, because being a Television feature, chances are it may never be released commercially.

From Rhinos to Giraffes

... Two jeeps raced side-by-side in Momella, trying to outrun a large rhino that the trappers wanted to exhaust before harnessing it with giant ropes. After a session of such a breathtaking race, the animal turned and charged at one of the open-roofed jeeps. The Rhino hit the Indian (Bruce Cabot), who was seated next to the driver, fracturing his femur.

Well! The 'hunt' had to be halted since the excessively bleeding Indian must be rushed to Mount Meru Hospital for treatment. Even in the 60s the Regional Health Center used to have a shortage of blood in its banks and the Indian needed transfusion before operation ... or something. Whatever the case, it was such a gory opening for Hatari!
    Not so with 'Beyond the list!' "See these giraffes overlooking the Momella?" Said Casey Bennet, the Managing Director of Bennett Productions, pointing at a footage of the tall animals, feeding on shrubs near the lodge, at sundown. "This will be the opening scene in the feature film." He revealed. Mh! Rather tame, compared to the John Wayne's intro.
    Using his palm held, Image viewer, Bennett reveals more stunning footage of what is likely to be 'an interesting documentary.' Except it is not. "I won't consider it a documentary, but an adventure feature," said Bennett. Anyway, he is quite a cheeky fellow, that Casey Bennett. Among the 'collections' on his portable image viewer, are pictures of ...eh... some beautiful ladies.

"Well I have also been taking pictures of Super-models, Miss World and Miss Universe Pageants." He revealed with a smirk. But he quickly remarks, "beauties can also 'showcase' a place. In fact for my next Tanzanian project, I plan to use super models to promote some of the countries' attractions. To start with Mount Kilimanjaro, that will be next year."

Beauty is only 'screen deep!'

However, the 'beauty factor' doesn't have to wait for next year. 'Beyond the list,' features one such beauty personality. As it happens, Jenn Brown, a young attractive lady, is going to 'present' the whole show. That should be okay. But was there a beauty in Hatari? Oh! You bet. After all, the movie had some smooch romantic episodes as well.
    Brandy (Michele Girardon), the beautiful daughter of a former hunter (according to Hatari storyline), finds herself the unwitting romantic pawn in what was to become a 'love triangle,' pitting two of the youthful hunters and later on, Pockets as well.

There was also Elsa Martinell the main Co-Star, who played, Anna Maria Dallas, the moody 'photographer' sent down from a Swiss Zoo, but who ...typically... ends up falling for the 'unconcerned' Duke. Before that however, she adopts two baby elephants that later chase her around Arusha town as she tried to escape. In fact, the closing scene for Hatari (Swahili term for 'Danger') is when the elephants climbs onto her bed and ... well... break it.

Casey Bennett may have seen other Wayne's works, such as The Stagecoach, Rio Lobo, The Train Robbers, The Cowboys, The War Wagon, Hell fighters and The Undefeated! But before coming to Arusha, the director had never watched 'Hatari!' He watched it for the first time during the special 'John Wayne Centennial' reception, organized by the Tanzania Tourist Board at the Ngurdoto Mountain Lodge where the crew also stayed.

Never mind, but as the legend of John Wayne gets revived in Arusha, through the eyes of his offsprings and 45 years after Hatari was filmed here, one wonders when exactly will this vicinity ever get the honor of hosting any major film production again ... Probably; Not today Bwana!

Valentine Marc Nkwame
    Arusha - Arusha Times

• I'm glad they are doing this for one of my favorite movies. Do you know if this is planned for TV, theaters or DVD?

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Looks to be another interesting thing to look forward to.

There is also Patrick's own son, the stout Michael Wayne. He is the grandson of the legendary Duke. Mike came along with his wife, Christine and several children. (He should not be confused with the other Michael Wayne, the Duke's first born who however did not come to Arusha).

Maybe they should have explained themselves alittle better though or finished the part about Duke's son, Micheal, being dead instead of saying he chose not to come to Tanzania.:ohmy:

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne