Posting and YOU!

There are 32 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 44,328 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Just want to make sure this stays up long enough for people to see. It was just posted last night. Don't want others to get in trouble as I and Dooley did. So, yall, read what Kevin has posted and be sure not to talk about anything personal unless it is in the Chat Room or a PM. We can't "talk" to each other in posts.....not allowed....just about the Thread. I am sure some will really like that. KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Quote from Hawkswill;124158

Just want to make sure this stays up long enough for people to see. It was just posted last night. Don't want others to get in trouble as I and Dooley did. So, yall, read what Kevin has posted and be sure not to talk about anything personal unless it is in the Chat Room or a PM. We can't "talk" to each other in posts.....not allowed....just about the Thread. I am sure some will really like that. KEITH

Don't worry about this "staying up" it has been up for 5 years. As I stated to you in direct pm, we always encourage members to stay on topic.

But you can take it to extremes if you want, and post in public to rally your troops. But a little common sense tells you that off topic banter about something that has nothing to do with the thread subject should be kept to a minimum or to 0.

Some leeway will be given but from time to time we will nudge the conversation back to the subject at hand before it goes totally off topic, just as Keith did in the Quite Man thread.

Don't take it as a personal attack. The moderators are just doing what they are instructed to do, moderate. We've had to do this from time to time over the decade we've been online here.

Again thanks for understanding.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Forum Runner

• Oh, not taking it personally. After all, ours was just one very small post off topic. I agree that there have been times when there were many more. And "rally my troops", LOL, just warning all folks to be careful of how they post so that it will meet with your standards and rules. Now perhaps someone will use the Chat Room....I went there a few times and there was never anyone there. In other forums I have been on, when you go to the Chat Room a mod greets you. So, I just figured no one used this one. I am sure a lot of folks will be very glad not to have the threads cluttered up with personal things. KEITH

• Well, by the action on the forum, you seem very defensive which makes it appear as if it's all against you. Believe me it's not, just a nudge to stay on topic.

But glad you brought this thread up again with your post. It's a post that should be read by all members here.

As for the chat room, it's never been a big hit here. Early on there was attempts to schedule chat events but we never did get a good response, and not many bothered to make the event. So it's there for members to use, if they want to.

Thanks for understanding.

• Only one person against me that I know of, and the whole "daily" forum knows it...I mean it is not hard to tell...it is blatantly obvious. But, I have given up on that and no longer care, although I DID try for a good while to help and to, as I said, "offer the olive branch". Won't happen again.

As for repeating this thread, that WAS my intention. Although there are a great many people on here who DO enjoy the more relaxed posting and some can't wait to see what has happened while at work, etc., there are others, I am sure that are not happy with it. From the statistics I can see, you had been losing people for quite some time.......now in the last months, you have gained quite a few and posts are way up, (please correct me if I am wrong.....only going by what I can see). BUT, it is YOUR Site, and therefore should be conducted in the manner that YOU wish. I imagine there are diehard fans who don't like to communicate with others except as pertains to Duke, etc. This site is perfect for them if conducted by your mods as in the rules.

As for the chat room, who knows, maybe it would work, but most folks don't have time to make time to sit down and post things that are already written out on the threads....so, don't imagine it would work very well......too bad....should be some way.

So, I guess, enough said.....no question now. My and Dooley's one off topic post began this, but I have been guilty of a lot more than that. Just was called on it at the wrong time and got my dander up. I know why it was chosen for that day, but it makes no matter..what is done is done, "spilt milk" as Serepta would say.

Yes, I understand, Kevin.....sure do. KEITH

Any reason you can figure that I have never been able to make Multi Quote work.........it turns red and all, but....never can get the entire post up there?

• Losing, gaining, members is a way of life here. You haven't been here but for 7 maybe 8 months, and you know the health of the community?

Wow, I've been here from the beginning and have seen the busy times and the slow times around here. It's certainly a cycle. Believe me when I say that as dead as one year is here, it's bounces back two fold the next year.

In fact the last 3 years has been the busiest ever. Gains in traffic and engagement. I think your point(s) have been made. I appreciate what you have done to promote this community, and I think you enjoy it here? But this place is bigger than one man or one lady, it's a big community.

While I appreciate the concerns for the community, the topic is the posting and you, and what we as a mod team here try to maintain. A focused discussion, and to maintain this we have guidelines that members here should follow. The big picture is focus and this makes for an over all better experience for the average user. Having to scroll thru countless chat about everything except what the visitor is interested in is not the experience we drive for. Do we always perform our duties perfectly?, no we fail and are not as constant as I'd like but we try. This isn't a business, it's a hobby, for me and the other moderators here. I enjoy maintaining this community since 1999 when I first hosted a John Wayne website and forum, and Lord willing this place will be here for many years to come.

I've gone off topic now so I'll end it here. Sorry for going on so long.

• Went by the statistics you used to have up..don't know if they are still there, and by what long time members have told me, that we brought a breath of fresh air in that was badly needed.....of course, only their opinion, but they had been here many years. Also, I believe if anyone besides myself had made 1500 posts in 6 months, something would have been said about it.

But you just said, " I appreciate what you have done to promote this community". First thing like that said by any of yall. And that will do. Better by far than nothing.

Keith

• Went by the statistics you used to have up..don't know if they are still there, and by what long time members have told me, that we brought a breath of fresh air in that was badly needed.....of course, only their opinion, but they had been here many years. Also, I believe if anyone besides myself had made 1500 posts in 6 months, something would have been said about it.

But you just said, " I appreciate what you have done to promote this community". First thing like that said by any of yall. And that will do. Better by far than nothing.

Keith

Early on we had several members that where on fire, many posts in short order. They like some get busy with life and just don't post as much. Some just lost interest after the newness wore off and just never come back.

The stats that you "don't know if they are still there" are still available (like I would hide them) on the main page of the forum, they haven't been moved. Those numbers are a snapshot of a rolling 4 weeks worth of activity.

I'm sure the JWMB at times seem stale to some, while others are engaged and think things are going good. Many different eyes, and perceptions of what is going on.

Anyways, I've spent my nickle, on this subject. Time for din, din.

BTW, almost forgot, I did thank you several months ago via email/PM that I appreciated any help you did promoting the forum.

• It's nice to hear about what people have going on in their lives etc so why don't we just create a general chat thread in off topic or use an existing one? Don't see why we can't all have the best of both worlds without anyone falling out.

Interestingly , we did have such a thread that ran for some time.
    The Real Senior Members Thread.
    We used it as a general silly nonsense thread
    with light hearted banter between boy and girl members.
    There is no reason this thread can't be
    used for the general chit chat of day to day life.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• As a long-time moderator here, I would like to chime in here, even though this is now a days-old conversation.

Now perhaps someone will use the Chat Room....I went there a few times and there was never anyone there. In other forums I have been on, when you go to the Chat Room a mod greets you. So, I just figured no one used this one. I am sure a lot of folks will be very glad not to have the threads cluttered up with personal things. KEITH

As for the chat room, it's never been a big hit here. Early on there was attempts to schedule chat events but we never did get a good response, and not many bothered to make the event. So it's there for members to use, if they want to.

As for the chat room, who knows, maybe it would work, but most folks don't have time to make time to sit down and post things that are already written out on the threads....so, don't imagine it would work very well......too bad....should be some way.

Regarding the Chat Room - as Kevin mentioned, it hasn't gotten very much use, despite periodic attempts to arrange an organized chat encouraging folks to join in at a specified time (around New Years a few years in a row, for example). We maybe ever had 10 members joining in the chat at any one time.

However, if you notice some of your friends are online when you are, send them a quick PM and invite them to join you in the Chat Room. If I remember correctly, it opens in a separate windor or tab. You can go back and forth between the chat room and the message board and see if other people are online, and invite them to join your existing chat. For whatever reason, folks don't always respond (maybe they didn't see your PM, maybe they signed off as you were sending it, etc.) It is true that the Chat Room is not moderated, but we all have many things that take up our time - work, family, hobbies, etc), so it is not practical to man the Chat Room 24/7. BUT it is there for anyone to use, any time, and can be a fun way to get to know other members.

Btw, there are numerous threads for off topic bantering, where the subject is whatever the poster wants it to be. Of course you can create a thread if an existing thread doesn't exist.

It's nice to hear about what people have going on in their lives etc so why don't we just create a general chat thread in off topic or use an existing one? Don't see why we can't all have the best of both worlds without anyone falling out.

Interestingly , we did have such a thread that ran for some time.
    The Real Senior Members Thread.
    We used it as a general silly nonsense thread
    with light hearted banter between boy and girl members.
    There is no reason this thread can't be
    used for the general chit chat of day to day life.

Not only are there off-topic threads, there is a WHOLE sub-forum for topics not related to John Wayne, Off Topic Discussions. For those who are politically-minded, a specific thread, Politics, was formed (with the caveat that folks please restrict political stuff to that thread, so people who are not interested in politics can easily avoid it). Beware, it can get pretty heated there! As Keith (aka ethanedwards) mentioned, there is the "Senior Members" thread, which is silly but fun! Off Topic Discussions offers up MANY places to simply chat about the weather, tell jokes, wish others a happy birthday, etc. I have been to other forums where none of these things are allowed, we actually have a fairly mellow outlook compared to some, despite your perception.

Although there are a great many people on here who DO enjoy the more relaxed posting and some can't wait to see what has happened while at work, etc., there are others, I am sure that are not happy with it.

I imagine there are diehard fans who don't like to communicate with others except as pertains to Duke, etc. This site is perfect for them if conducted by your mods as in the rules.

Keith, there IS a John Wayne forum where it is exactly like that, and it's not this one. ANY off-topic discussion is not tolerated - in fact, zero tolerance. Several of our members have banned from that forum (including my wife, if you can imagine that); I doubt you'd make it 24 hours there (no disrespect intended there, just sayin' . . . :ohmy:). Anyone who is interested in that forum may contact me via PM and I will gladly share the information. Others know what I'm talking about.

Here at the JWMB, we understand there is more to life than John Wayne (as much as we all love him!!), but staying on topic is not a bad thing, either. I know I have had to go through several pages of a topic, scrolling through stuff that wasn't related at all, to get to the 'meat' of the topic. I appreciate it when folks stay to the topic at hand (but also understand how we can get carried away on a tangent - hey, I've done it myself!)

Any reason you can figure that I have never been able to make Multi Quote work.........it turns red and all, but....never can get the entire post up there?

Sue says she will post some instruction regarding that in the Newbie forum later today.

. . . this place is bigger than one man or one lady, it's a big community.

While I appreciate the concerns for the community, the topic is the posting and you, and what we as a mod team here try to maintain. A focused discussion, and to maintain this we have guidelines that members here should follow. The big picture is focus and this makes for an over all better experience for the average user. Having to scroll thru countless chat about everything except what the visitor is interested in is not the experience we drive for. Do we always perform our duties perfectly?, no we fail and are not as constant as I'd like) but we try. This isn't a business, it's a hobby, for me and the other moderators here. I enjoy maintaining this community since 1999 when I first hosted a John Wayne website and forum, and Lord willing this place will be here for many years to come.

Well said, Kevin! Thank you for continuing to provide this amazing forum for John Wayne fans, where we may have our differences, but we eventually get over them (because we don't get banned at the first sign of trouble). Thank you for allowing me so many years ago the privilege of assisting you as a moderator here. I value the many friendships gained as a result, and can't even measure the knowledge I have amassed since being a member here!

Stepping down off soapbox,

Chester :newyear:

• Keith, there IS a John Wayne forum where it is exactly like that, and it's not this one. ANY off-topic discussion is not tolerated - in fact, zero tolerance. Several of our members have banned from that forum (including my wife, if you can imagine that); I doubt you'd make it 24 hours there (no disrespect intended there, just sayin' . . . :ohmy:). Anyone who is interested in that forum may contact me via PM and I will gladly share the information. Others know what I'm talking about.

((((((Keith, ill say it instead. Be VERY aware if you join that other site? If you feeel like having all your posts heavily moderated and changed and or deleted? then THATS the site to join. I quit it years ago--about 5 or more--and aint looked back since.)))))))))

Here at the JWMB, we understand there is more to life than John Wayne (as much as we all love him!!), but staying on topic is not a bad thing, either. I know I have had to go through several pages of a topic, scrolling through stuff that wasn't related at all, to get to the 'meat' of the topic. I appreciate it when folks stay to the topic at hand (but also understand how we can get carried away on a tangent - hey, I've done it myself!)

(((((((Apparently thats NOT how the mod looks at life on the other site. Also, apparently you cant ask about things dealing with Duke's family as over there-its a cardinal sin.)))))))

Sue says she will post some instruction regarding that in the Newbie forum later today.

Well said, Kevin! Thank you for continuing to provide this amazing forum for John Wayne fans, where we may have our differences, but we eventually get over them (because we don't get banned at the first sign of trouble.

((((((Well said.))))))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..