Pinned John Wayne Related "Watering Holes"

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 35 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by William T Brooks.

• Re: John Wayne Related "Watering Holes"

I once saw a web site for the Mt. Toomba Inn and Restaurant, in or near Graeagle, California, somewhere up near Lake Tahoe. They have a lot of John Wayne memoribilia, and from what I can gather, it is where they filmed "Shepherd of the Hills."
      Best,
      Colorado Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • Re: Duke Stories

I tried to put this up on the Post that Chester put up some time back on what He called "Watering Holes" but it said that it was too Old to Post on Now.
      :yeaahh:
      I got a Call from a Man to Fly up to Williams, Arizona and give a Radio Interveiw on John Wayne and His old 26 Bar Ranch and see what was New in Northern Arizona.
      :teeth_smile:
      I did Fly up to Williams, Arizona and man named Mike took me on into Town, and was I Suprised when we got into the Little Town of Williams !
      :ohmy:
      Williams, Arizona is on I - 40 Freeway that at one time was Called Route 66 that goes across Northern Arizona an is Just a few Miles West of Flagstaff, Arizona .
      :wink_smile:
      Williams is called the Gate Way to the Grand Canyon, and is were you turn North to go to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and if you wish take a Old West Train Ride to the Grand Canyon also.
      :stunned:
      Right in the Middle of Wiilliams was a New Wild West Town called "Wild West Junction" Complete with Two First Classed Old West Restraurants, Old West Hotel, Saloon, Old West Museum and a Radio Station, And I had a Great Day touring the Wild West Town and giving the Radio Interveiw on John Wayne and His Ranches here in Arizona !
      :wink:
      This would make a Great Watering Hole for a Future Get-To-Gether, take a look Below.
      wildwestjunction.com
      Chilibill
      :cowboy:
    • Re: Duke Stories

William T Brooks wrote:

I tried to put this up on the Post that Chester put up some time back on what He called "Watering Holes" but it said that it was too Old to Post on Now.

Bill, when you encounter that "too old" message, hit the Back button and look again. There is a box you have to check that says you realize the thread is over xxx days old, but you want to post anyway (kilo6 has obviously discovered that feature :wink_smile: ).

Anyway, I moved your post and Senta's response over here to the appropriate thread, and now it's been "renewed" again.

Wild West Junction looks like a fun place. We must have passed right by it last year, when we visited the Grand Canyon on our way to the 26 Bar. Got to say, we were so anxious to arrive at our final destination, we missed it :ohmy:.

Did you notice the JW movie poster hanging in one of their themed motel rooms?

Movie Room 300.jpg

Chester :newyear:

I saw this reference from Ethan in another thread -

Ethan wrote:

I'd like to add that I run into Denison, Iowa (Donna Reeds hometown) and there is a McDonalds there that has a mural on the wall with Scenes from her films. One of the scenes is from "They Were Expendable" also has a small depiction of her in a scene from "Trouble Along The Way". It was so cool to see that!!!!!

Regards
      Ethan

I don't know if that McDonald's is still there, or still has that mural, but thought I'd share about it here. It would sure get me to go in there every now and then. Maybe Ethan can let us know :teeth_smile:.

That is the same Western Room that Chester put up above, that I have been staying in on my trips to the "Wild West Junction" in the last few weeks.
      Come on by and Visit Us Somtime !
      It looks like I am Back In Show Bizz Again !
      YAHOO !!!
      :shades_smile:
      ranch26bar.com/JUNCTION.html

Chilibill

Love to come, just need to figure out how to get there with those prices for transportation. It's pretty high, but I plan to get out there soon. Great site, Bill!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote

Just got back from "The Wild West Junction" and another Big Weekend of Playing The Cowboy Story Teller, telling John Wayne Stories to Hundreds of People, and I am All POOPED OUT !
      :stunned:
      If We ever have a get Get-To-Gether this would be a Great Place to have it. There is a John Wayne Room in the "Old West Museum," Many good Motels just by walking a few hundred yards, plus First Class Rooms at The Wild West Junction.
      Monument Valley , Sedona , Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon are just a short Drive from Williams. Or just a Short Flight in My Aircraft ! You Pay For The Fuel !
      :wink_smile:
      Many of Duke's Great Westerns Were done Right Here in Northern Arizona, and a few of His other Films like "The Flying Tigars" were done Right Here also.
      :angel1:
      And This Is Real Wild West Country !
      (bud)
      ranch26bar.com/WILLIAMS.html
      Chilibill

The post was edited 1 time, last by William T Brooks ().

William T Brooks wrote:

Or just a Short Flight in My Aircraft ! You Pay For The Fuel !

:angel1:

And This Is Real Wild West Country !

(bud)
      ranch26bar.com/WILLIAMS.htmlChilibill

So . . . . How much is the cost of fuel up to Watsonville and back? :cry2:

Kevin wrote:

I came across this site tonight. I'll have to check this place out the next time I'm in Southern California. B)

Here's a quote from their web site -

"He is no longer with us, but we know John Wayne would be proud of his latest name sake – Duke’s Place - a bar and entertainment lounge named in his honor and with remembrances of “The Duke” as a mariner. Black and white photos of John Wayne and his boat the Wild Goose which was a mainstay in Newport Beach Harbor decorate the walls."

Duke's Place

The current description indicates that at least the place was named for John Wayne, but doesn't say if there are still pictures or any Duke memorabilia around. It is near Newport Beach and does bear Duke's name, so maybe there is still something there.