Pinned John Wayne Related "Watering Holes"

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 35 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by William T Brooks.

• I came across this site tonight. I'll have to check this place out the next time I'm in Southern California. B)

Here's a quote from their web site -

"He is no longer with us, but we know John Wayne would be proud of his latest name sake – Duke’s Place - a bar and entertainment lounge named in his honor and with remembrances of “The Duke” as a mariner. Black and white photos of John Wayne and his boat the Wild Goose which was a mainstay in Newport Beach Harbor decorate the walls."

Duke's Place
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      jwayne.com

The post was edited 2 times, last by chester7777: update link ().

• John Wayne Related "Watering Holes"

Here's another good reason for living in Oregon :biggrin: -

John Wayne Saloon

My partner in the hot dog business is in Oregon on vacation with his wife this week, and stumbled upon this cozy little place on their way to Crater Lake. Naturally, knowing our interest in John Wayne, they are always on the lookout for information on anything with his name attached. So they dropped on in.:thumbs_up:

Chester :newyear:
    • John Wayne Related "Watering Holes"

Okay gang don't be too upset with me , but I really have meant to tell you about this.
      Ya see there's this little steakhouse in Alamosa, Colorado that goes by the name "TRUE GRITS STEAKHOUSE". Now they have been open and doing business in Alamosa for the 25 odd years ( I know,why haven't I mentioned it before well in my defense I plead no contest) I have been traveling thru the area. Nice place lots of Duke pictures and movie posters on the wall, and most of the menu is named after Dukes movies. Very nice wait staff and just plain good ol' friendly folks. So if your there you owe it to yourself to stop in and visit. And the food is some of the best. They are located at the intersection of U.S 160 & Colorado Hwy 17,Hwy. 17 ends rite in front of the place. They are located on the southside (directly across the hwy. U.S. 160 from the LOAF AND JUG)of the road and you can't miss them. ( unless a member fails to tell you all about them) LOL!!!!!
      But heres my predicament and maybe you can support my argument when you stop in. Ya see they have LEMONADE on the drinks menu and I have been saying that they ain't supposed to have any LEMONADE. I have succeeded in getting buttermilk off the menu, (which they only use in their biscuits and pancakes. But they don't openly offer it. ( remember baby steps).....
      I humbly apologize for not telling you all earlier, but hopefully you can forgive me when you stop into this one of a kind, down to earth homages to the Duke.
      Remember go hungry, cause you sure won't leave that way!!!

Regards
      Ethan
      Don't Believe In Surrenders!!!!!
    • Re: If Your Ever In Alamosa, Colorado

Ethan,

I can't speak for anyone else, but I forgive you for withholding this important information only because I've never been anywhere near the place, so I didn't miss out on going there.

Not that I make it to Colorado often (I don't), but I'll keep it in mind for my next trip there.

Thanks for letting us know!

You might also ask Colorado Bob if he knows about this place. I know the area where he lives at but can't openly say it as I have not yet asked his permission to do so. Anyway, my point is is that I will almost bet he has passed the place before :wink_smile:
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

chester7777 wrote:

After this post, and the other about the place in Shady Cove, Oregon,
      I wonder if we should have a "sticky" thread for watering holes and eating establishments honoring Duke.

Oh, Kevin!
      "John Wayne is not just an actor and a very fine actor,John Wayne is the United States of America."

chester7777 wrote:

. . . I wonder if we should have a "sticky" thread for watering holes and eating establishments honoring Duke.

Just to let you know, I changed the name of this thread to something a little more generic (from "If Your Ever in Alamosa, Colorado), and stickied it, so as we come across appropriate locations, we can share here. I also moved my posts from another location on the board to here, to keep them all together.

If there are other posts that I've missed, that should be here, please let me know.

• Re: John Wayne Related "Watering Holes"

Chester,

I do not know How I Missed This One, But in the late 1970s I had a Small 160 Ac. Ranch at BUTTE FALLS OREGON and had to go Right By Shady Cove to get to the Ranch at Butte Falls but I do not Remember the Place You were Talking about. Do you know if it was there in the Late 1970s?
      :yeaahh:
      I could Never Get Martha to Move There because it was TOO Far out in the BOON-DOCKS so I sold it to a bunch of Vets of the time.
      :cry2:
      I was told later that They Had Turned into one of the Largest POT FARMS in OREGON !!!
      :hyper:
      Chilibill
      :cowboy:
    • Re: John Wayne Related "Watering Holes"

William T Brooks wrote:

. . . in the late 1970s I had a Small 160 Ac. Ranch at BUTTE FALLS OREGON and had to go Right By Shady Cove to get to the Ranch at Butte Falls but I do not Remember the Place You were Talking about. Do you know if it was there in the Late 1970s?
      I was told later that They Had Turned into one of the Largest POT FARMS in OREGON !!!

Chilibill,

I doubt from what I've heard and read that that place was around in the '70s, at least not as a John Wayne related place.

You should've hung on to that land . . . you might be flying your own Lear jet now!

Oh, well, you know what they say about hind sight . . . .