From Japan

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,394 times. The latest Post () was by arthurarnell.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello, I'm a 60 years old japanese, working for a advertising company in Tokyo.

This is my 1t message to JWMB Newbie forum, and may be 1st from Japan.

I'm glad to find this great site. I would bring japanese information for JW.

In Japan,ofcourse many people like John Wayne,he was a great actor,great
    american hero. but frankly, too bad young movie fan don't know him !
    I regret that Western movies are becoming a legacy in japan.

Nevertheless most of all JW'sDVD with japanese caption are on sale.
    The latest DVD isHondo,that's was fantastic.
    I wish I could see The Wings of Eagles,Jet Pilot dvd with japanese caption.
    But,they are not on sale!

By the way,could you tell me what whisky JW last drinking in Shootist
    Label with yellow clover?
    See you! Sanda

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• By the way,could you tell me what whisky JW last drinking in Shootist. Label with yellow clover?

Hi Sanada -welcome aboard. I visited many countries during my military career and Japan was my favorite. You folks are number one in my books.

Don't know if you ever saw it but JW's "Barbarian and the Geisha" was always a favorite of mine. Sure wish they'd release it on DVD.

As for the whiskey - I imagine it was just a movie prop of no particular brand.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Sanda,

WELCOME to the John Wayne Message Board!

If you aren't the first person to join from Japan, your are certainly the first to introduce yourself. You have now expanded our membership base a little farther! We have members from Great Britain, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Italy, Russia (I know I'm forgetting someone here :yeaahh: - forgive this old memory of mine), Australia, Canada, and the United States.

I agree with your statement that not enough young people know John Wayne or are familiar with his films. Certainly, folks around here are helping to keep the memory of John Wayne alive, and I am happy to share that we have a fair amount of younger members. That's good news! I hope you will check out some of the other threads here in the Newbie forum and add your story and statistics.

As to your question, I will just have to pull out my copy of The Shootist and see if I can help you out. I'm not much of a whiskey drinker, but I'll take a look. Or maybe someone will beat me to the answer.

Again, welcome to the JWMB, and we hope you won't be a stranger!

Chester :newyear: (and the Mrs. :angel1: says "Howdy," too!)

• H.sanada,

Welcome welcome aboard !
    :hyper:
    Just like Stumpy I have spent a lot of time in Japan in the last 50 years, and have some Very Good Friends in Nirita just across the Bay from Tokyo. My last trip was Two Years ago to the Kodokan Judo Dojo in Tokyo.
    :teeth_smile:
    When my Friends come to Visit me from Japan, one of the first things they want to do is have their picture Taken With John Wayne's Pistol, Rifle and Saddle.
    Get Right In and have some Fun Talking about John Wayne and You Will Find Some Good Friends Here on This Web-Site.
    :thumbs_up:

Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• Welcome Sanda, glad you found us. Like the others have said we have a great group and jump right in and have fun!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi H.sanada, WELCOME to the JWMB. Glad to have our first acknowledged member from Japan aboard.
    My father was in the Air Force and we were stationed in Nagoya when I was 6 or 7 years old. My sister was born there.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Warm Welcome to the Forum H.sanada

It is a pleasure to have our 1st Japanese John Wayne fan here.

In regard to your query about the brand of whisky in The Shootist it is likely to be a movie prop and not a real brand.

If it was a real brand it would have to be in all honesty Bushmills
    :holiday_irish: Any trouble makers will get a visit from Maureen Herself and she will sort you out!!

or we might let our American cousins believe it is Jack Daniels:wink_smile:

Mike

• we might let our American cousins believe it is Jack Daniels

Well, I haven't had anything to drink for the past 4 or 5 years but believe me when I say Evan Williams was just as good a bourbon as Jack, and only cost about half as much.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Dear JWMB Member,
    Thank you for sending me the very kind messages.

Allow me to introduce myself again.
    My father was army officer.When I was a teenage boy,he often went to theater at base
    with me to see the movies ,e.x. The Quiet Man.the Lomg Gray Line, etc.
    Sean's and Martin's attitude is similar to Samurai spirit=Bushi-Do,are'nt it?
    My father liked The Quiet Man,and Ibecame JW's Fan.

In 1959 Japan,Rio Bravo,The Horse Soldiers, and The Barbarians and the geisya were
    lereased at the same year!
    First 2 gained masterpiece of western movies, you know. But last work was cult and
    underrated movie in japan.

And by the Whisky, I'll search for the best bourbon at Carson city,Nevada,1901
    It may be Bushmill,Jack Daniells, Evan Williams or others. I enjoyed!
    For example, in Japan ,I.W.Harper. Jim Beam, Four Roses are popular bourbon.

When John Wayne arrived Japan,he answered "Good Whisky and Love of Life"
    for the secret of his young looking.

In Real life,JW's favorite drink was tequila with lemon?
    Skoal! and Thanks Sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Hello H.sanada. Let me add my welcome to you with all the others you have received thus far. I am so glad to have a fan from Japan. It's always interesting to see how Duke influenced all the people of the world. I am looking foward to getting to know you. Don't be a stranger! All JW friends are welcome here.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "