Any (American) football fans here?

There are 544 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 141,257 times. The latest Post () was by Rooster52.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Why do they play 4 quarters?
    Why not play 2 halves?
    Seems strange to me :confused:

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• Keith,

The reason most of these singers bend the songs into an unrecognizable mess is because, in their arogance, it's all about them rather than giving honor to their country.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Ned,

The reason they play 4 quarters rather than 2 halves is twofold. First it spreads out any disadvantage that may come into play due to wind direction as each team will face the prevailing wind every other quarter. Also, especially in the old days but you can still see this on some high school and smaller college fields, it spreads the play out across the field more evenly. This keeps one end of the field from getting too beat up if you have one team that can't seem to move the ball. Also if you have one end of the field that isn't in particularly good shape it can have a negative affect on the team defending that end of the field.

There's also the point that it gives the teams a scheduled breather.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Keith,

The reason most of these singers bend the songs into an unrecognizable mess is because, in their arogance, it's all about them rather than giving honor to their country.

I agree entirely, the anthem, is not the song with which,
    to prove how good a shouter, and how bad a singer you are!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I just gotta (bump) this one back up. My falcons take the field this Saturday at 4 pm (est). This is the first time in a long time that I truly am excited about the ATL taking the field this year.

On another note, if there are any eagle fans here, you have JUST signed Michael Vick to a 2 year deal. Just to let you know. GO FALCONS!!!!!

Stay thirsty my friends.

• On another note, if there are any eagle fans here, you have JUST signed Michael Vick to a 2 year deal. Just to let you know.

The Eagles would not sign T.O., but they would sign Vick. When was the last time T.O. hung dogs, and drowned them. Vick should be like Rose and never see the sports arena again. Philly would go and sign him. We have one bonehead QB and now we add his twin. Dumb and Dumber.
    Go Colts. Manning, now there is a classy QB.

• It's great seeing the Ravens on the field again. And to trounce the 'Skins...BONUS! I know it's just preseason, but it's still a WIN. :teeth_smile:

By the way, my wife and my oldest daughter are Eagles fans, and they are not happy at all with the Vick signing. I can't imagine the fans in Philly will be kind....they never are. lol

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I am sad to say that I am a Cleveland Browns fan. We have a few more years and a couple more coaches to go before we do anything good.
    Andy:vomit:

:film: " When the legend becomes fact print the legend"

• Since it's just the start of preseason, I'm not overly disappointed in the Cowboys' loss to the Raiders last evening. I think the Boys have a lot of talent, but they need to work some more on their plays (especially the defense).

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• High School Football starts this week; college next week; and I think the Sunday during Labor weekend is the NFL. What a great land we live in. I can't wait. By the way, the champion's challenge in Alabama took place last weekend, and my high school played and well they won. Didn't count but they wiped out the other team.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• High School Football starts this week; college next week; and I think the Sunday during Labor weekend is the NFL. What a great land we live in. I can't wait. By the way, the champion's challenge in Alabama took place last weekend, and my high school played and well they won. Didn't count but they wiped out the other team.

I have one playing varsity this year and his first game is Friday night. I can't wait for that one. BTW, did anyone catch my Falcons Friday? That offense looks scary good. This is one season I can't wait for.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• I have one playing varsity this year and his first game is Friday night. I can't wait for that one. BTW, did anyone catch my Falcons Friday? That offense looks scary good. This is one season I can't wait for.

And the defense looks scary bad, no really the defense looks a little shaky.

• We came over to Georgia and played. This is our high school team. We lost 11-14. I'll get the name of the opponent and get back to you. It is north of Atlanta.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hey guys, big Vikes fan here. I have not seen this much excitement, good or bad, in a very long time. With Favre here it should make for a very interesting and fun year.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• We now Vick here in Philly. What a dog and pony show with the animal rights people. Some good has come with him here they already busted a major dog fighting ring.
    The Eagle fans have grabbed up his jersey. He took the field and the place went nuts.
    It also should be an interesting season.