Pinned Duke's Movie Screen Deaths.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 79 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by nordy.

• Re: Duke's Screen Deaths.

The saddest of Duke´s screen deaths is always "The Shootist", because of Duke´s cancer fiction and reality came very close in the movie. It makes me cry whenever I watch it.

But we forgot one screen death here: John Wayne playing the son of a poor farmer, died in the B-Western movie Wyoming Outlaw (1939), produced by Republic. He was steeling deer because the poor farmers were cheated by politicians and had nothing to eat. The three Mesquiteers tried to help him, but after a prison-break he became an Outlaw and was hunted down and killed.

Unfortunately I only could see a German version of "Wyoming Outlaw" and it was cut down from over 50 minutes to 25 minutes! But for a B-Western, I would say, it was a good movie!
      "Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

Dukesfan wrote:

But we forgot one screen death here: John Wayne playing the son of a poor farmer, died in the B-Western movie Wyoming Outlaw (1939), produced by Republic. He was steeling deer because the poor farmers were cheated by politicians and had nothing to eat. The three Mesquiteers tried to help him, but after a prison-break he became an Outlaw and was hunted down and killed.

Wyoming Outlaw

Sorry, but Duke didn't meet his death in this movie,
      as he was in fact,
      Stony Brooke one of The Three Mesquiteers, who befriends,
      the young farmer Will Parker, who had turned into an outlaw!
      I can only assume, you may have mistaken,
      this as Duke's character?

The complete movie has a runtime, of 56mins,
      so it could be, that much shorter version you watched,
      did not show the full story!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

I have to watch "Wyoming Outlaw" again! Maybe I am wrong, maybe it was because the movie was shortened... I will have a look at it as soon as possible!

EDIT: Yes, You are right! I watched "Wyoming Outlaw" again. John Wayne IS NOT Will Parker and he is not killed in the movie. He is one of the Misqueteers... Don´t know, why I could not remember, but, maybe I have seen to many of Duke´s movies? - NO, You can´t see to many John Wayne movies, but I have seen these B-movies only once, and so I forgot the details. But I like John Wayne´s B-Western! Most of them where great fun with thrilling stunts, fast and hard riding and quick shooting!
      "Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

I also say "The Shootist" and "The Cowboys" because he was shot in the back by a "6 fingered busturd" in "The sands of iwo jima" he didn't have to die but he didn't much to live for either
      "Fill your hand you son of a b--ch"

the alamo was probably saddest for me - i was also gutted when colonal bowie got killed, but in the sands of iwo jima, his death came as a complete shock
      "Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

Don't know if it was just a coincidence but in "Sands of Iwo Jima", "The Cowboys" and "The Shootist" the Duke was in the process of mentoring younger men when he met his end. To me, that is an admirable trait worthy of emulation by all who value the future. Those young folks out there need to be taught right from wrong.
      De gustibus non est disputandum

hi Keith

you should have done a poll on this question as it appears that by a large majority in this order

the shootist
      the cowboys
      Sands of Iwo Jima

are the "top" 3

this is also my choice. I still cannot watch the shootist without weeping buckets.

on a slightly different note, I used to like listening to to the theme tune from Island in the sky but since I heard played during JW last appearance at the oscars I can no longer listen to that without crying. brings back memories of shadow of the man he was, physically I mean, very sad.
      Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

Hi

Taking your point about Duke mentoring youngsters when he died. I think that in both Reap the Wild Wind and Wake of the Red Witch he was attempting to right previous wrongs, so I suppose there is some merit in that.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

"The Cowboys" is my my saddest death of Duke and it makes me always a bit angry. He protects the young Cowboys until his death and the movie is getting more sinister. It's like they lost their fathers and it's good to see that the Boys are taking revenge for Duke's murder.
      "You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

That's very true. Dukes wasn't the one who was supposed to die on Iwo, he's the mentor, the teacher, the guy who would show these young recruits how to survive. But knowing what we know now about the fight on Iwo, it would be anybody who could die. Out of the 6 flag raisers in the famous photo, three would die soon after the flag went up, including Sgt Mike Strank, who though he was much younger than Dukes character of Sgt Striker, was considered the mentor of the others and who they referred to as "the old man". I think he was only 25 or so.

Tell me about Central Airport. I am not familiar with the movie, and though Duke had a minor role, I don't know how his death was portrayed. I'd like to know more about that movie.

As for the best death scene, I'd have to say, Sands of Iwo Jima because it is the first movie I've seen him that he died. I did see The Shootist in 1976, but this would be since my renewed interest with John Wayne back in 1990.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote

Hondo Duke Lane wrote:

Tell me about Central Airport. I am not familiar with the movie, and though Duke had a minor role, I don't know how his death was portrayed. I'd like to know more about that movie.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

Mike,
      Central Airport is a rare one, but we don't have it listed as missing,
      or unavailable.
      Duke was way down the list as 'uncredited'!
      He appears 56 minutes into the film
      as an officer in a downed plane in the Gulf Of Mexico.
      His screen time is short, some 32 seconds,
      as he helps passengers onto the plane's wing and
      drowns while helping a passenger.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().