Duke's Movie Screen Deaths.

There are 79 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 52,321 times. The latest Post () was by nordy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Don't know if it was just a coincidence but in "Sands of Iwo Jima", "The Cowboys" and "The Shootist" the Duke was in the process of mentoring younger men when he met his end. To me, that is an admirable trait worthy of emulation by all who value the future. Those young folks out there need to be taught right from wrong.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• hi Keith

you should have done a poll on this question as it appears that by a large majority in this order

the shootist
    the cowboys
    Sands of Iwo Jima

are the "top" 3

this is also my choice. I still cannot watch the shootist without weeping buckets.

on a slightly different note, I used to like listening to to the theme tune from Island in the sky but since I heard played during JW last appearance at the oscars I can no longer listen to that without crying. brings back memories of shadow of the man he was, physically I mean, very sad.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi

Taking your point about Duke mentoring youngsters when he died. I think that in both Reap the Wild Wind and Wake of the Red Witch he was attempting to right previous wrongs, so I suppose there is some merit in that.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• "The Cowboys" is my my saddest death of Duke and it makes me always a bit angry. He protects the young Cowboys until his death and the movie is getting more sinister. It's like they lost their fathers and it's good to see that the Boys are taking revenge for Duke's murder.

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• I only wish that JW's death in The Alamo was more original, rather than a replay of The Last Command. If anything he should have emulated Fess Parker.

• The saddest and the most poignant is The Shootist. I know he didnt plan it as his epitaph but it was a way to go out.

The most shocking is Sands of Iwo Jima as you expect them to survive after reaching the top of Iwo Jima.

• That's very true. Dukes wasn't the one who was supposed to die on Iwo, he's the mentor, the teacher, the guy who would show these young recruits how to survive. But knowing what we know now about the fight on Iwo, it would be anybody who could die. Out of the 6 flag raisers in the famous photo, three would die soon after the flag went up, including Sgt Mike Strank, who though he was much younger than Dukes character of Sgt Striker, was considered the mentor of the others and who they referred to as "the old man". I think he was only 25 or so.

• Tell me about Central Airport. I am not familiar with the movie, and though Duke had a minor role, I don't know how his death was portrayed. I'd like to know more about that movie.

As for the best death scene, I'd have to say, Sands of Iwo Jima because it is the first movie I've seen him that he died. I did see The Shootist in 1976, but this would be since my renewed interest with John Wayne back in 1990.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Tell me about Central Airport. I am not familiar with the movie, and though Duke had a minor role, I don't know how his death was portrayed. I'd like to know more about that movie.

Mike,
    Central Airport is a rare one, but we don't have it listed as missing,
    or unavailable.
    Duke was way down the list as 'uncredited'!
    He appears 56 minutes into the film
    as an officer in a downed plane in the Gulf Of Mexico.
    His screen time is short, some 32 seconds,
    as he helps passengers onto the plane's wing and
    drowns while helping a passenger.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Wow, I just learned something new here. Didn't know about Central Airport. Is the movie any good?

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Mike and Keith

I have a copy of this movie on DVD, a transfer from video tape. However been a long time since I watched it probably cos JW is not in it very long.

Made in 1933 so pre Stagecoach days but after The Big Trail 1930 which should have rocketed him to Americas leading man.

IMO What a hunk he was in the Big Trail and what an epic film! Would do almost anything to see the 70mm version on the big screen. ANY OFFERS FROM CINEMA OWNERS??

My friend ColoradoBob recently sent me the latest DVD release with a remastered version of the 70mm film on it but not the same watching it on large screen TV as it would be at the cinema.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Elly,

When you watch it, tell us about this movie. I'd like to hear about it. Is it worth a viewing?

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Elly,

When you watch it, tell us about this movie. I'd like to hear about it. Is it worth a viewing?

Will do but it may be awhile before I can watch it. All my JW stuff is in UK and I am in Bulgaria now. Hoping to be in UK around Christmas time so perhaps a review in the new year?

• Hi

Central Airport was one of a number of flying films made in the 1930s, the best of which were made by Howard hawks. It was a starring role film for Richard Barhlemass with John Wayne in at best a peripheral role or even as an extra.

it was made at a time when Duke was struggling to make his way in the industry after The Big Trail. But for all of that its not a bad picture.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• It took me many many years to watch the shootist after it's release. When I did finally watch it, it jumped to my favorite Duke movie, not because of the death but simply because of his acting. He was second to none as JB Books. I'm curious does anyone know was the character in the book named the same, I was thinking Jb books could have been used as The books of batjac productions and reversed bj to jb since bj isn't as manly as JB . they used clips from his old movies to show his past life. I'm probably wrong but the thought entered my simple mind.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Yes, Brick, his name was J.B. Books in the book as well. The book does tend to get a bit graphic in it's telling of Books' cancer and the pain he endures. It also graphically tells how each shot enters and damages the man who is shot. But it is quite a good read.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• He also demanded some of the shots to be redone due to the fact that it showed Books shooting one of the bar people in the back, and he didn't want any of his characters shooting anyone in the back.

Cheers :cool:

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo, Yes Duke said that He was Not Going to Shoot anyone in the Back, and He Did Not !
    :wink_smile:
    And He would Not Drop His Pants for the Doc. "Jimmy Stewart" to check Him For Cancer as The Director Don Siegel wanted in the First Part of The Film !!
    :ohmy:
    He said "There are Not Going to be Any Bare Asses in any Movie I am In !!!"
    :glare:
    Bill
    :cowboy: