New Members

There are 63 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 17,161 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• You sound like my kind of people, Emmanuel - a born rebel. :lol:

De gustibus non est disputandum

Originally posted by chester7777@Jun 9 2005, 08:31 PM
    Kevin,

Can you tell if these non posters may have visited the board recently?

Yes, but I would have to look at each one separately. An example is AEC23, this member has 65 posts but was last here on 22nd April 2004 - 09:40 AM

http://www.dukewayne.com/index.php?showuser=28

Basically I'm unable to pick and choose what members should be deleted and who shouldn't. All I can do is mass delete based on date range. So AEC23 would be removed if I deleted any member who hasn't visited the site within the last 12 months.

The more I look at this the more I'm thinking that we leave well enough alone.

• I belive that it would be a good idea and add to the proffesionalism of the baord if members with no posts were deleted. They will still be able to view the board, I am also in favour of emailing them first.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

Originally posted by Kevin@Jun 10 2005, 05:30 PM
    if I deleted any member who hasn't visited the site within the last 12 months.

[snapback]17392[/snapback]

That may not work as Monique/BrianB profile show them as both being active in February 2005 which is impossible.

Regards
    Robbie

• I discovered this site late last year, and since that time have posted maybe 30-35 times. I have gained far more by reading the threads and appreciating the knowledge and viewpoints of others on this site than by posting. That is participation every bit as much as making another post. A goal in life is the acquisition of knowledge, and listening, or in this case reading, makes that possible.

If someone signs up and never comes back, that may be one thing, but I am sure I am not the only one to come by now and then to gain additional perspective on the man whose films I have enjoyed for many years.

Roger.

• Roger

I feel you are missing the point, you joined in December and have since then posted 38 times which is fine and there is no reason for your account to be erased.

However some people have joined in 2003 and never posted therefore keeping their accounts is pointless if there accounts are erased they can still read the topics on the board and by erasing such accounts the board membership statistics will be a lot more reflective of the group.

Regards
    Robbie

• Robbie,

Kevin ran a test a while back and ran Monique's and BrianB's as a sample to what ever he was doing and they were the subjects since they will not be using their account again. This is not a secret but just a test Kevin ran. I am sure that he will do what he needs to get this worked out. The moderators were aware of this.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Thanks Mike that explains it.

Regards
    Robbie

• If someone is deleted, do we lose their posting history?

If someone has posted in the distant past, I would hate to lose the opportunity to read their posting if they were deleted.

-ncb

My heroes have always been cowboys.

• nathan,

That is a question we asked Kevin, and he said that none of the posts would be deleted if in fact someone gets deleted from the message board that has posted. This is something we are not going to do right away until we get all the information.

We will inform anyone of this before it happens, and will give plenty of time to respond. I think if anyone is removed from the message board if will be the ones who have not posted anything and have registered over a year ago. That's my understanding, and nothing has been decided yet.

I don't want anyone to worry about this, we are not deleting anyone at this time. Kevin wants to discuss this before we do anything. The questions you ask are the questions we are asking as well to Kevin.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Nathan

From what I am suggesting and from the feedback from Kevin ONLY people whom have never posted will have their accounts deleted.

If this happens and some are regular members to the board it may prompt them to re-register and post comment(s) so I believe its a win win situation.

Regards
    Robbie

• If you annalise the postings,
    30th,on the list shows 86 postings,
    below that it drops off alarmingly
    to odd ones and twos postings,
    and an awful lot of noughts!!!!
    Only 28 out of nearly 900 members
    posting more 100!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi ethan -
    I'm really surprised at my verbosity on this board. When I first joined the JW Message Board, I thought I might post something now and then, but I've wound up doing this with at least one post a day most weekdays. I attribute this to the friendly nature of the members here - it's like a family. It seems more than just the focus on John Wayne, but I think the members here subscribe to Duke's values and that has a large part to do with the atmosphere found here. :rolleyes:
    I don't know what prompts some of the people to join this board and then not partake of the dialogue. Others, as I have mentioned elsewhere, join to post a question and that's it. Some, I surmise, want to join just to say they are a member, but for some reason or another, just won't post.
    But there are a few relatively new members, like you, ethan, and myself (only a member for 7 months) that have grabbed the reins and contributed and commented, making this an even more enjoyable and informative forum than it was a while back.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

What about JOHNWAYNEABE dammit! I am alive!

You should be good to go now that you have posted, hehehe!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• If you want to get an idea as to why someone might register to be a member, try signing on as a guest and browsing for awhile - there are quite a few things not available to non-members, like the search engine, for one. I also think that if you are only signed on as a guest, you don't see the smiley icons, just the HTML code for them. There might be some who signed up simply to utilize the search engine, found what they wanted, and never returned.

There may be some who never post, but lurk consistently. I would hate to delete someone like that.

However, I guess Kevin and the moderators will meet sometime soon and discuss this issue more.

I also agree with the fact that there are some "desireable" user names being taken up by apparently non-participating members.

Just a few more thoughts on this issue . . . .

Chester :newyear:

• Actually Chester,

You speaking about desirable usernames,
    prompts me to remember,
    that when I first tried to put in a user name,
    as we nearly all tend to use, A Duke handle
    it took an eternity, before I found one
    that was accepted, most being used already,
    having to fiddle about with the format, etc.
    Now we are this far down the road, it will not be
    an easy task, taking those names back!!!
    I've not been here long, but have trust in my
    fellow members, that I'm thinking
    of using my real name,which I did yesterday,
    now there's something
    we should think about doing!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England