Hello from AZ newbie

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,368 times. The latest Post () was by azgal.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello, my husband and I are long time fans of JW and it has been so great to find this forum, read the fans' messages and to also enjoy reading the special web pages of memories and pictures shared by his friends. :)

Just stopped in to say hello...

azgal

• Hello and welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. You won't find a more friendly group on the web. Don't be shy, jump right in!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• azgal,

We'd like to add our welcome to you as well! We hope you won't be a stranger, and we look forward to getting better acquainted in the days and weeks to come.

Where in AZ do you call home? We have several members from that fine state, one of our most active being Chilibill (user name William T Brooks). We were in the Eagar/Springerville area last May, to celebrate John Wayne's 100th birthday at the 26 Bar Ranch, which as you may know, was owned by John Wayne in partnership with Louis Johnson back in the sixties and seventies.

Again - WELCOME!!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• azgal - WELCOME to our friendly group of Duke fans. You'll find things to be quite informative and fun too! Join us often. We love having you here.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Thanks for such a warm welcome, you all are very friendly indeed! We have lived in Mesa for over 31 years. :) We have been to many areas in the state throughout the years but we visited Alpine, in late August, for the first time. We stayed at Hannagan's Meadow, in one of their cabins, enjoyed the fireplace at night and wondered if the local stories about JW frequently going into their lodge to play poker was true. We fell in love with the whole area, as we drove through Nutrioso, Springerville and Eager and then on to Show Low as we returned home in a loop, what a gorgeous area with friendly people! We have visited other areas in Northern AZ and the White Mountains, but it's our first time in that part of AZ, we have found that it suits us to a T. Of course, I read about JW's ranch on these message boards and we thought that it would make a nice weekend trip so on impulse we drove up, we thank you all! :) We were short on time so we weren't able to explore or look for the ranch but it will be a priority next trip, that's for sure.

Our only near brush with seeing or meeting JW was a few months before he died of cancer, (about 1977 or 1978, I think). He was terminally ill although the information hadn't been released so most of us fans weren't aware of it yet.

The company that I worked for had tickets for sale to his annual ranch cookout so I bought our tickets and we anxiously waited to see JW in person! We were fairly new to AZ, so it was exciting to learn that JW owned a ranch in AZ and that he invited the fans to come once a year to enjoy a cookout on his ranch , with meals cooked by the actual ranch hands! Some details are a little sketchy as I get older but it seems that an announcement was made when we arrived, we were told that JW wouldn't attend due to illness.

The cookout was usually held on his ranch in Stanton or Stanfield (I think) but this year it was being held at the elementary school in Casa Grande for the first time, because the cookout had grown too large, or because of his illness, I can't remember the reason. We all sat outside on bleachers, it didn't seem very "ranch like" nor did it have a cookout atmosphere but I figured that once JW showed up, it wouldn't matter. The announcement was made soon after...

Since JW was not able to attend, his son Patrick did, he flew onto the school grounds in a helicopter, he thanked all of us for coming, told us that his Dad really enjoyed these cookouts with his fans and wanted to be there with us but that he was too ill this year. and I just assumed that there would be another cookout next year. Patrick was friendly, he signed autographs, exchanged pleasantries with many of the fans, etc. I remember thinking that he wasn't as tall as I thought he's be, he was very handsome but looked very tired, I don't think that he stayed long, maybe 20 minutes or so. I also seem to remember his very pretty wife who was dressed to the hilt, she seemed a little impatient to go and didn't seem too friendly, maybe they were rushed for time! :) I also remember that Patrick had a scarf (silk ?) around his neck that kept blowing up into his face from the wind generated by the helicopter blades turning- isn't it strange how some details remain in the memory bank and others don't?

We had a great meal- I mainly remember the cowboy beans, but we seem to have had ribs, cole slaw and biscuits and/or cornbread - simple but delicious. The folks from the ranch cooked the meals so that made it authentic in my mind! Soon after, we left for home since there was nothing else planned and we knew no one. :)

I remember being disappointed at the time since I wasn't aware of how seriously ill JW really was, I also remember thinking that I wanted to get tickets again next year to see JW in person, maybe he'd find a way to have it at his ranch next time. Sadly, he died a very short time after that cookout and there would be no more. It has become a special memory for us, just thought I'd share it...

Aren't you sorry that you told me to feel free to say anything on here? :)

Oh yes, I do enjoy reading ChiliBill's messages and learning about his memories and experiences! I wonder if his cookbook is still in print or available?

azgal

• Aren't you sorry that you told me to feel free to say anything on here? :)

Absolutely NOT! What a GREAT story!

Most of us back in the seventies were too busy trying to make a living to hunt down Duke,
    too bad we didn't have our current insight back then.

Oh yes, I do enjoy reading ChiliBill's messages and learning about his memories and experiences! I wonder if his cookbook is still in print or available?

Wouldn't it be great if we could all go back in time around thirty or thirty five years, and if ChiliBill would have hired us all at his airline, we may have all met JW :wink_smile:.

Just PM Chilibill about his cookbook, and he'll take care of you. (Down at the bottom of any post by Chilibill, look for the little PM button, and you can send him a Private Message).

Chester :newyear:

• Thanks for sharing that story with us. I can only imagine the feeling of disapointment you had when your meeting Duke in person didn't come to be. It would have ruined my day, for sure. As chester7777 said, no way are we sorry you decided to "feel free to say anything". That's what makes this group so great. We love hearing anything from the other members. Keep talking, we'll tell you when to shut up! :wink_smile: lol

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• azgal - Just loved that reminescence - that's what this board is all about - to discourse, to share stories, to just banter in train of thought. Continue just as you are - there have been a lot of off-subject conversations which is what makes this board so much fun!

"Not hardly!!!"

• Great story azgal.

As others have said, no need to not share stories about the Duke or even from your own life once in awhile.

Feel free to keep right on posting.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I'm glad that you enjoyed the story, I'll start posting in the General Discussions area since I don't feel like a Newbie after your warm welcomes! :)

azgal