Today's Country Music

There are 49 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 12,449 times. The latest Post () was by Dukesfan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I visited one of the music-download sites and listened to a sample of the Rednex version of "Cotton Eyed Joe". Wasn't impressed at all. IMO, it didn't even sound like C&W music.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I imagine most folks here (except for Chilibill) are too young to remember the old-time masters of country music such as Hank Williams, Faron Young, Webb Pierce, Hank Snow, Leroy Van Dyke, George Jones, Lefty Frizzell, Johnny Horton and their like. They were popular back in the Fifties and early Sixties and turned out some great music. I've downloaded some MP3s from these singers on Amazon's web site (only cost 89 cents per song, which is pretty reasonable).

• I imagine most folks here (except for Chilibill) are too young to remember the old-time masters of country music such as Hank Williams, Faron Young, Webb Pierce, Hank Snow, Leroy Van Dyke, George Jones, Lefty Frizzell, Johnny Horton and their like. They were popular back in the Fifties and early Sixties and turned out some great music. I've downloaded some MP3s from these singers on Amazon's web site (only cost 89 cents per song, which is pretty reasonable).

Too young to remember, well I wasn't even around when most of those guys were aroud.
    But definitely not too young to appreciate it. Hank, well he practically invented the genre.

And George Jones, well he's still going! He most recently had a hit with a Garth Brooks duet, Beer Run(B-Double, E-Double, Are You In?) back in 2001/2.Which, I just love that song to bits, two of my favourite artists together, and another recent one, Choices, around 10 years or so ago, which is in my three favourite songs from any genre, coincedently enough, that top 3 are all country.

I agree, the Rednex version of Cotton-Eyed Joe doesn't sound country, and to be hoenst, I'm not even sure why it's considered country.

But then again stranger things have happened.

Country music is evolving, whether we like it or not.

I like the "rocked up honky tonk" sound of Garth Brooks(my favourite, ever), Brooks & Dunn, Chris LeDoux and a few others, who are still relatively traditional, just with a rock flavour.

And I love the real traditional sound aswell, Johnny, Willie, Waylon, Kris, George Jones etc etc and the newer traditionalists like George Strait, Alan Jackson(well most of it, apart from the 2 2006/7 albums, they were just not right), Mark Chestnutt etc

The ones that are considered country but just aren't are what I don't like, eg Carrie Underwood, Rascal Flatts and the like.

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• I know some of these have been named but when I think of Country music I
    think of George Jones, Vern Gosdin, Johnny Cash, the late Keith Whitley and
    Patsy Cline. Also Waylon, Hank Williams Sr. and some of Tim McGraw's

I won't be wronged-I won"t be insulted-I won't be laid a hand on. :cowboy:

I remember them all too and I can think of another Stumpy, Carl & Pearl Butler. Always liked their, Don't Let Me Cross Over. A good old beer drinkin' song. They just don't make 'em like they used to, do they.

• This ain't country but since we don't have a thread devoted strictly to "MUSIC" thought I'd ask the question here.

I'm re-loading onto my hard drive all the backup music I've collected on discs over the past 8 or 10 years and in several cases, I've had to look up song titles and/or the artist's names. (The Windows Media Player program doesn't lend itself easily to my project but I'm slooooowly getting there.)

However, in a few cases, I'm stumped. (and I have numerous Joel Whitburn music references which, IMO, are the best). For instance, does anybody remember the name of the guy who sang "Just a Hundred Pounds of Clay" which was the refrain in the song but apparently not the title as I can't find it in my books and therefore can't find the artist's name.

• For instance, does anybody remember the name of the guy who sang "Just a Hundred Pounds of Clay" which was the refrain in the song but apparently not the title as I can't find it in my books and therefore can't find the artist's name.

Gene McDaniels - computers and search engines are marvelous. Don't know how I ever survived without 'em. :hyper:

• I like the more traditional artists, who do Cowboy Songs, like Marty Robbins, Chris LeDoux (he did Cowboy Songs, as he was young and later rocked real hard performing his own style called "Rodeo Rock´n Roll"), Ian Tyson, Michael Martin Murphey, Don Edwards and Red Steagall. And I like Slim Dusty from Australia!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• I am Afraid I do not care much about Most of what is Called "Country and Western" music as it is done today, done by what are called, Drug-Store-Cowboys or Want-To-Be-Cowboys !
    :vomit:
    I am still back in the Days of Roy and Dale, and I like their Song "Back in the Saddle Again" and Marty Robbins Song "El Paso" because He was a Real Arizona Cowboy and Rancher !
    :cowboy:
    Chilibill
    (bud)

• I am Afraid I do not care much about Most of what is Called "Country and Western" music as it is done today, done by what are called, Drug-Store-Cowboys or Want-To-Be-Cowboys !

Aww, Chilibill, it's not all bad, just most of it :tounge_smile:

Like I've said before, I love the "new traditional" sound, eg Garth Brooks(my favourite, as I've said before), Brooks & Dunn, those sorts of guys, who have it rocked up, but still sound traditional. Not to-the-bone tradtional, but still relatively tradtional sounding. Actually, going on a bit of a personal rant here, but I'm sick of people saying Garth "ruined" country music, and that the new sound was all because of him. Because he didn't start that new sound, the Outlaw movement did, ie Cash, Waylon, Willie, Kris did because they rebelled from the traditional sound at the time, and they're the biggest figures in country music. (Saying that, I do love them to death, and think they're phenomonal). Anyway, I'll hop down off my soap box now ( :tounge_smile: I tend to get a bit defensive when someone says something bad about Garth, he's my musical equivalent of Duke, ie I'm totally obsessed, and hates to hear any hating or any bad said about him)

Well my examples sound traditional compared to artists such as Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwood etc, who I'm constantly sick of hearing, and are winning country award, after country award, for music that is far from country. Actually any new sound, so to speak, after the Garth/Brooks & Dunn/etc era started to sound too much like pop.

I mean, apparently nowadays throwing a steel guitar into your songs means you're country. Or adding one line of twang. Personally I think they just call themselves country, because the market is easier to crack. I mean, they'll probably be gone in a few years anyway. 80 % of the "new" stars, will have no longevity

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• One thing that everybody should be aware of is that everything tends to change over time. Back in the 1950s there were many country fans who thought that adding steel guitar or electric guitar to country music was "a sin." As time has gone by, they have both been accepted as part of a traditional sound.

ChiliBill, I also kind of doubt if any of the early country stars spent time on the back of a horse (i.e., they weren't cowboys).

I do think there is a fair amount of competition for the C&W dollar. My impression is that the forces that control Hollywood have been trying to tap into the Nashville movement. Since they are more R&R oriented and many of them control C&W radio stations (financially), their "new country" sound predominates in many areas.

So things have changed quite a bit over the past 50 years, but it's basically up to each individual to enjoy what they like to hear. Fortunately, with the Internet, we can have access to both the old and the new with just a few clicks, to enjoy as we see fit.

Chester :newyear:

• Chester,
    Do You Mean to tell me that Duke the Singing Cowboy, Roy and Dale, Gene Autry and Marty Robbins were Ridding On Motor Cycles? And here all this time I thought they were on Horse Back !
    :yeaahh:
    I had been to Roy and Dale's Ranch over by Apple Valley, and to Marty Robbins Ranch at Willcox, Arizona and was Sure the were on Horse Back, but maybe I just Needed New Glasses !!!
    :shades_smile:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• ChiliBill,

No, I was referring to Hank Williams, Hank Thompson, Ernest Tubb, George Jones, and a host of many of my favorite stars, who may of had a horse or two at their estates, but spent most of their time at recording studios, or on the road, not out roping cows.

And no, you don't need glasses, those you mentioned were definitely on horseback! Fortunately, they were the exception to the rule. Although Gene Autry spent a lot of time buying radio stations and real estate.:wink_smile:

Chester :newyear:

• I hardly listen to today's country music my parents listened to stuff like The oakridge boys, John Denver, Hank, Hank jr, and my favorite the man in black thats the good stuff there

"Fill your hand you son of a b--ch"

• Hello Chilibill
    I have special memories for "El Paso".
    When i was a kid, i liked themesong of Rawhide. so, i bought Frankie laine's
    record . Side B on this record was the song El Paso by Marty Robbins.
    I had been listening to a performance with rapt attention both song.
    regards,
    H.sanada