New Member/Request for help

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,438 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi everybody,

I'm glad to be a new member and participate in keeping Duke's memory going strong. My Dad started me off watching westerns and most often they were John Wayne movies. We both identified with his characters and the man himself. Over the years, it became a great shared experience for us.

Which leads me onto my request for help. It's my Dad's birthday soon and I'd like ot buy him something special to celebrate. Any ideas for Duke related gifts? I was looking for a bronze statue of Duke that we saw over his late son Michael's shoulder in a documentary about his father. Haven't been able to track it down though. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I'm originally from Ireland and now live in Toronto. Hoping to get to Winterset real soon now that I live a bit closer.

Happy Holidays everyone!

• Rochie,

WELCOME to the John Wayne Message Board! You will find us to be a friendly and knowledgeable bunch here, and fun, too!

Does your dad already have something of a John Wayne collection of sorts?

One of our members, William T Brooks (affectionately known as Chilibill by most around here) has a pretty unique scrapbook available with all sorts of rare pictures and good stories about John Wayne. There are some pretty nice belt buckles on ebay right now, of the Red River D variety. Sometimes, some of the cast coffee mugs come up on ebay. Do a search for "John Wayne" there and you will be amazed at the number of things to see!

How soon is your dad's birthday? You could get in touch with Tim Lilley and get his annual publication "The Trail Beyond" which is EXCELLENT for a Duke fan and collector! You would have to send a check or money to Tim, as he doesn't do Paypal (although he might do credit card over the phone - I don't know).

Is your dad computer literate? Maybe he could join us here for some 'wayne-derful' camaraderie. We are glad to hear that you and your dad share a love of Duke Wayne!

We look forward to seeing you around these parts again soon!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Hello Rochie and welcome. May dad got me started on the "Duke" as well, so I know where you are coming from. Glad you found us and hope to get to know you better on the forum.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Welcome aboard, Rochie. Glad to have another fan join in.

Have you checked ebay? I have seen several bronzes over there. They do tend to be expensive, though. I have several statues from the Franklin Mint that were well made, but they are not bronze, they are ceramic.

I wish you luck in your search. Don't be a stranger!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Thnaks for all the ideas and the welcomes everybody! I'll let you know if I come up with something interesting for my Dad's gift.

Happy New Year to all!

Rochie

• Welcome Rochie, I haven't been here long and still learning my way around. It is the best place for a Duke Fan..Need help, just ask. Someone is always willing to help..Enjoy

"I admire your sand, Sister, but you should know this is no place for a woman"

• Welcome Rochie, I haven't been here long and still learning my way around. It is the best place for a Duke Fan..Need help, just ask. Someone is always willing to help..Enjoy

You may wish to know, Rochie as been inactive
    for nearly three years, since joining!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Sorry about that..didn't notice the date..It is his loss..

It's a strange pattern we have.
    Quite a few new members, make very insightful, meaningful posts
    'I love Duke, I grew up with Duke's movies' etc.
    How much they like our board, and then we never hear from them again!!

However it has to be remembered, many members view
    without necessarily posting.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England