There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,180 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• i used the 'search' option and tried several movie titles and actors' names but to no avail. the only message appearing after my searches was 'you have generated a wildcard and my searches were discrded?:vomit:o, whats a 'WILDCARD'?? what does it translate to?

J Duke W :angel1:

• jdukew,

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I'm not sure why your search came back with that answer. I know that for awhile, the search engine was set to require four words to complete a search.

Generally, in computer stuff, a wildcard is something that widens a search. For example, if I typed jo** in a search engine, it would look for all words that began with jo and any combination of letters after that, because I entered the ** as wildcards. It would come up with things like john, jobs, joey, join, jock, etc.

Anyway, Kevin reset the search engine with a minimum of two words.

Perhaps if you mis-spelled a word, it may have misinterpreted it as a wildcard.

I hope that helps a little.

Chester :newyear:

• If i comprehend your reply, does that mean wildcards need updating in your 'search' tool? For example, if i wanted to search for "Randolph Scott", would this name or title be too long or too short to be considered for a search within this forum to receive another posting or thread concerning Randolph Scott, the actor and his affiliation with John Wayne's career in film?:vomit: Because when i first typed in Randolph Scott's name into the seacrh box, i was given a 'wildcard'. Therefore, are there things i am not allowed to type in for searches, and will i continue receiving these 'wildcard' replies stating that my search words or names are to long or too short to be used in the search box?

• JDukeW,

I'm not certain why you got that wildcard message when you did a search on "Randolph Scott." I just did that same search (without the " ") and told to show search results as threads rather than posts, and it came up with 78 results. When you click in each thread in the results, the words Randolph and Scott will be highlighted in red wherever they appear (it won't necessarily be the whole phrase, though sometimes it will).

Try the search again and see if you come up with something different.

If you are still having problems, maybe some of our more computer savvy members will step in with their thoughts.

Chester :newyear:

• chester,
    i didn't include/type the " " in with Randolph Scott's name in the search box, i was merely highlighting Randolph Scott's name.