The Alamo (1960)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

• She was the actress who was murdered by her boyfriend in Bracketville (or maybe the Ft. Clark area) during the filming of "The Alamo." She is only in the scene where Crockett and Flacca are watching the exodus of the townspeople. She had all her belongings in a wagon and exchanges a few words with the principals. The scene is not in the cut version of the movie.

Best regards - Jay :)
      Cheers - Jay:beer:
      "Not hardly!!!"
    • :cowboy: Hi Jay and thanks. I had never heard about that, what a sad thing to happen though. I sure hope justice happened in her case.

I used to be a Correctional Officer for the State of Tx. I dealt with many thousands of inmates in the years I worked for the system. I heard countless stories of them telling at how they were framed and because of that, were sentenced to terms in prison. Some undoubtedly were in because of wrongful information but, that number is VERY low.

Anyway, I really do hope justice was served for that gal.

Best regards--TRK.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..
    • Hi Ringo -

Her boyfriend (his name escapes me) was sentenced to thirty years in prison (which means he has been a free man for over a decade - unless he got in more trouble).
      Duke was supposed to have testified at the trial here in San Antonio, but I have no specifics.

Cheers - Jay ^^
      "Not hardly!!!"
    • :cowboy: Hi Jay, thanks for the info.

Yep, he is out of prison unless like you say, he did get into more trouble while serving his time--which is easy to do. usually you actually serve 1/2 the time you get sentenced. I.e. 10 years is actually only 5 or less. And it is even less than that because one gets double time served for being in a County lock-up before, during and after the trial.

TRK.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..
    • Hi Ringo -

Thank you for that info. I think I was aware of prison time being cut in half, but not the double time allowed for being in a county lock-up.

Some more trivia regarding the "Jocko" scene - the old woman in the wagon, part of the family of the blind woman and Jocko - that was Olive Cary, widow of Harry Cary, Sr. - Duke did keep to a family atmosphere on the set.

Cheers - Jay ^^
      "Not hardly!!!"
    • Hi

I knew the information was somewhere. If you read DUKE The Life and Times of John Wayne pages 260-61

The filming was also clouded by a tragic occurence. Two of the many extras who were flown in from Hollywood to take part in the film were a thirty-two year old actor named [b]Chester Harvey Smith and his twenty-seven year old girlfriend an actress known as Le Jeanne Ethridge, who was billed in the film as Le Jeanne Guye. Both were members of the same Hollywood repertory company, and, owing to the overcrowded conditions created by the influx of personel for the filming, both were billeted with several other extras in a bunkhouse in Spofford Texas, a rail junction town of about 250 residents twenty miles south of Brackettville. During the filming Le Jeanne evidently acquitted herself so well in her brief scenes as an extra that she came to the attention of someone in the Batjac organization and her role in the film was expanded, giving her a small part (as an unnamed woman) and a raise in salary from $75 to $350 a week. As a member of the cast, she was also assigned living quarters closer by, in Brackettville.
      Le Jeanne went back to Spofford to get her clothes, and while she was packing to leave the bunkhouse, her boy friend stabbed her to death. The details of the case were never made public, for Smith's preliminary hearing and arraignment were closed. As president of Batjac and Le Jeanne's employer at the time, Duke was subpoenaed to testify briefly at the hearing, but there was no jury trial; Smith pleaded guilty and was sentenced to twenty years in prison.
      [/b]

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low