The Alamo (1960)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 555 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Hi -

It occurred to me that two Texas governors have been represented in movies by their siblings.
      The first would be Bill Daniel, brother of Gov. Price Daniel, who played Col. Neill, aide to Sam Houston, in "The Alamo."
      The second would be Merrill Connally, brother of Gov. John Connally, who was most noteable in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" as the Team Leader (the tall white haired gent).
      As far as I can tell, "The Alamo" was the only movie Bill Daniel appeared in. Merrill Connally, on the other hand, was in a few other movies than CEOTTK.

Cheers - Jay :)
      Cheers - Jay:beer:
      "Not hardly!!!"
    • Pulling this up from the recent archives -
      I've seen mention here and there that there was some antagonism between JW and Richard Widmark during the making of "The Alamo." Does anyone have any details on what this entailed? Was there some specific incident that caused them to be at odds or was it just a conflict of personalities? If this contention existed, it doesn't seem to have affected the outcome of the movie itself. Just curious.
      Cheers - Jay :rolleyes:
      "Not hardly!!!"
    • Hi Jay

When Richard Widmark was signed for the part of Jim Bowie in The Alamo Wayne had a large sign printed and displayed saying 'Welcome Aboard Dick'. When Widmark saw it he turned to Wayne and said next time remember the name is Richard. Wayne replied I will Richard if there is a next time.

I believe that during the making of the picture Widmark often questioned Wayne's directing ability and on at least one occasion Wayne pinned him to a wall. But say what you like about Widmark he was a professional and gave a professional performance.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low
    • Hi Arthur -
      Thank you so much for that info. Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember the part about the sign, but not the part about Widmark disparaging JW's directing abilities. Professionalism was a hallmark of the whole production, with none of the discord apparent between the two actors who didn't let their feelings spill out on the screen.
      Cheers - Jay :D
      "Not hardly!!!"
    • Jay,

I might add that Richard Widmark kept to himself throughout the production. When he was not needed for a scene he would be in his dressing room and didn't come out until needed. He wasn't very social and seemed snobby.

I think I read that he and Duke had a confrontation on the set about a scene, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was about. Duke at the end of production never again talked to Widmark.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote
    • In addition to Hondos, and the other comments, it would appear that Richard Widmark, didn't like Duke, from that"Welcome aboard Dick" start, and certainly didn't rate him as a director.
      You only have to read "Company of Heroes" by Harry Carey jnr, and I refer to the chapter, Two Rode Together, which was being filmed at the same time as The Alamo premiere, and I quote:-
      "Uncle Jack(Ford) asked me to deliver a message,Off I (Dobe) went to Widmarks cabin.
      Same routine-very gruff,"Who is it?" When I told him it was me(Dobe), and the Old Man(Ford) wanted him, he opened the door.He went into a minor rage. Not his mad rage, just his upset rage.
      "I know what he wants.I know exactly what the old b****** wants!
      Wayne has called him, and he wants me to go to that god***** premiere of The Alamo in San Antonio! Well, s**** it! I'm not going to that god***** terrible movie. It was enough grief working on it!..... D*** I'm not going.
      He ended up going, because Uncle Jack said so,"Dick here has been kind enough to do this for Duke.... as long as he can take you boys (Dobe, Ken Curtiss) with him.....And Dick thank you very much" He(Ford) patted Duke on the shoulder.
      It's ironic, that they all called him DICK!! And it didn't seem a problem!!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Hi All -
      Here's a bit of trivia I had never heard before - The "Ripley's Believe It or Not" piece in the newspaper this morning had this noteworthy information - Davy Crockett had only one book with him as he defended the Alamo - Ben Franklin's Autobiography.
      Not earthshaking information, to be sure. But I toss it out for anyone that is interested.
      Cheers - Jay ;)
      "Not hardly!!!"
    • Hi,
      I just think this film is wonderful, and is in my Top 5, all time favourites.
      I know it has come in for a lot of stick, but who cares,
      I think it's great entertainment, and I can watch it over, and over, again.
      I am lucky because I have the full version, with all the missing bits,
      Intro, Intermission and Exit music, and in 5.1 sounds, it's great.
      I know that Duke and Richard were not bosom friends, after certain comments,
      but they appeared to act well together.
      Laurence Harvey, was a suprise casting, but he also came across well.
      With all the other Ford/Wayne gang, adding their bit,
      I thought the whole thing was brilliant.
      I am only pleased that after all this time, the film has returned a very handsome profit,
      and as vindicated Duke's faith and dream.
      Rating 9/10
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • the alamo

this movie is a pleasure to watch no matter the mistakes, while it may have cost wayne his shirt and then some it has the appeal of a classic. the music is great and fits in with the movie, the uniforms of the mexican army is as correct as they could make them with the knowledge of the time that they had.

this movie makes it into my top list because i just love to watch it, it tells a story of something that all americans should know it tells this story with a lot of latertude but basically it tells some of the truth.

to see a shakesperian actor play the part of travis and pull it of well is a treat.

what else can you say but this movie is great

hooroo smokey
      " its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"
    • "The Alamo" was Duke's Film Love of His Life, :wub: and He put up all of His Money to try to get it done, and almost went Broke because of the Film ! :fear2:

Because my Great, Great Grandfather was one of The Tennessee Volunteers and was only a few miles from "The Alamo" when it fell, as told to me by my Grandmother many, many times when I was a Small Boy in the 1930s, :) I really enjoyed the Film and it was not too far from the truth. :rolleyes:

Chilibill :cowboy:
    • I have a special place in my heart for "The Alamo," partly because it was made only 125 miles from here and, of course, depicts the historical events surrounding the shrine here in 1836. We were able to follow news reports of the making of the film and the big party for the world premiere here was televised. I think the uncut version of this is one of Duke's great achievements, however beset by problems and financial difficulties.
      The recent remake of "The Alamo" is only a pale attempt at depicting the story. In its determination to be politically correct, it lost a lot of entertainment value and was just downright dull.
      Duke's version is by far the best!
      Cheers - Jay :D :D
      "Not hardly!!!"
    • Even though The Searchers is probably considered Waynes best film ever, this one is my absolute favorite. Accuracy, smackuracy, I never cared what mistakes there were in the telling of the story, I just love this movie. Hell, it was nominated for Best Picture, that has to tell you something. It didn't get that for nothing.
      You're right Keith, the set looks alot different than it did when the movie was made. In fact, a good chunk of the set was destroyed during the filming. Parts of the north wall, where the Mexican army came through were knocked down. About 1/3 of the south wall, from the corner where a good chunk scenes were done was bulldozed by Wayne for the closing scenes. And, the upstairs where Travis HQ's was was blown up for battle scenes that were never in the final cut. Those scenes were of the Mexicans turning the cannon around at the southwest corner and shooting at the HQ where some Texians retreated to. There were also scenes filmed of fighting on the stairway that were never used. A very large part of the rear of the church was also destroyed which you can see in the movie near the end of the battle. I've got some photos that were given to me by a friend who worked down there during the 70's. This guy also has a few pieces of the set that he brought home, plus, he has about a dozen Mexican uniforms from the movie that he acquired a couple of years ago. His biggest prize is the model he built himself of the Alamo set that looks identical to the way it looked in the movie. He spared no detail. it takes up about 1/4 of his basement and is about 12 feet long and 6 feet wide.
      The set nowadays looks a bit the same but, there are notable differences. The south wall has been restored but, there is a large gate in the center to move film equipment in and out. The upstairs has been replaced but, looks nothing the same and has a large pink hump on top. There's also a portico in front of it and the stairway is long gone. The north wall has been replaced but, looks nothing like from the movie. And the in the church, a large ramp goes up to the back, which is historically right but, was not in the movie, plus, the inside of the church is quite different form the movie. You can go up the gun ramps on the set but, you're not allowed to up on the walls. Supposed to be unsafe. And the rooms or barracks you see in the movie are boarded up. You can see inside through the door cracks but, there's nothing them but, junk wood. Also, in the scene where Bowie chases Crockett into the hospital after getting soaked? That part of the set is still original, including the stairway and right around the corner is a set of rest rooms that were built for the cast and crew and now tourists. Camera angles prevent them from being seen during the movie. Also, in the town, all the building from the movie that represented San Antonio are still there but, others have been added over the years for other movies that were made there.
      Remember the scenes where Crockett and Flaca go up and down the stairs to and from her room? The stairs go nowhere. Just up and stop. the rest of those scenes were done on a set at Fort Clark, a few miles away in Bracketville. Still, if you haven't been there, it's worth the trip. I've been twice in the last 5 yrs and love every minute of being there. And, you'll be surprised just how small the set really is compared to the real Alamo compund.
    • On the Cutting Room Floor

There are 12 scenes totalling 31 minutes cut from the original release,
      which ran 192+ minutes.

1.A drunken Bowie, finds Travis in charge.
      2.Travis and Dickinson, discuss, Jefferson.
      3.Emil, is killed by Crockett, who tells Flaca, the news.
      4.Flaca and Mrs. Guy, talking, as settlers leave.
      5.Bowie defends Smitty.
      6.Crockett and Bowie, discuss pyrotechnics.
      7.Crockett tells Flaca, about a ridgepole.
      8.Travis and Bowie argue as Bonham arrives.
      9.A patrol suffers casualties,re-inforcements arrive, and Lisa Dickinsons Birthday party.
      10.The parson dies, as Crockett prays.
      11.Religious beliefs are discussed, before the battle.
      12.A line of dialogue by Bowie, is missing as the North wall falls/

Other cuts include, the Overture,Intermission, and End music.

I have the full version, and it certainly enhances and makes the story line
      much more flowing, with these pieces restored.

Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • You're right Keith, it does. Wouldn't it be great if they found some more lost footage, especially the battle scenes I mentioned. There's even one, and you can see it on the documentary on the DVD and VHS Directors Cut that shows Wayne grabbing the head off a lance of one Mexican lancer and throwing into the chest of another right after he comes down from the flag pole hill. I also have a tape which I've since recorded to DVD of some home movies taken by one of the extras on the movie that shows Crockett on the flag pole hill and you can see the Mexicans flooding into the plaza from the north wall area. As it pans to the left, you can see Mexicans on the southwest corner begin to turn the cannon around to fire at the long barracks. All that film is probably long gone now and that's a shame. It would've certainly added to the scope of the battle.