The Alamo (1960)

There are 625 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 522,182 times. The latest Post () was by andre cremers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The Finding Of The Lost AlamoRead more at
    in70mm.com
    The 70mm Newsletter
    Written by: Bob BrydenDate: 01.06.2009

US 1-sheet poster

In October of 1960, John Wayne released his film of the historic siege at the Alamo. Nearly ten years had elapsed since Wayne first conceived the project and the time of it's premiere. The 192-minute film was met with mixed reaction from the critics and did very good business at the box office, but not enough to offset its huge budget. Succumbing to pressure from critics and distributors, Mr. Wayne lopped 30 minutes from the film prior to its general release. The original Alamo was never seen again.

That is, until March of 1980.

At that time I managed a record store in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. I was in Toronto picking up stock and I decided to make a night of it by going to the the IMAX Theatre at Ontario Place (a theme park) to take advantage of their annual 70mm film festival. "Cleopatra" (1963) was scheduled. When I phoned the theatre to check the time, I was stunned to discover that "Cleopatra" had been cancelled and replaced by my favorite film of all time: "The Alamo". It never dawned on me that it might be the original 192-minute version I had seen as a nine-year-old in 1960. On that frosty winter night I sat, virtually alone in that gigantic IMAX theatre while John Wayne's original "The Alamo" towered before me. In total shock and elated beyond belief, I rounded up some friends and saw it again two nights later. Feeling blessed beyond my wildest dreams to have seen it again in its original format and on such a splendid projection facility, I thanked God for this bit of personal fulfillment. I even thanked the projectionist!

Throughout the 1980's, as the video revolution took hold, l watched with dismay as the "pan and scan" home video version of the film took up residence on our neighborhood video store shelves. I could only wonder why nobody seemed interested in the superior original version. Then in February of 1990, l found a new video release of the film which appeared to have a few more minutes running time listed on the package. l purchased it and quickly raced home---only to find that just like the "pan and scan" version it was basically the 162-minute film, only in the preferred letterbox format with digitally enhanced sound (the "Overture" and "Entr'acte" accounted for the extra minutes). Terribly disappointed, I actually called MGM/UA Home Video in Los Angeles to register my feelings with a George Feltenstein, who dismissed me as some kind of nut---which I am. Hi-ho!
    More in 70mm reading:

"The Alamo" lost 70mm version - This letter which started it all

November 24, 1990: In Retrospect

I Was There

There are two things which have tormented me for most of my adult life

One Morning In November

An Update On The Long Version

The Reconstruction and Restoration of John Wayne's "The Alamo"

Internet link:

"The Alamo" articles and letters appeared in "The Spirit of the Epic" magazine in June 1990. Reprinted here with permission from Robert Bryden

bobbryden.com

Norwgian advert. Editors collection

It was not until September of 1990 that the plot again thickened. I purchased and read Lee Pfeiffer's book, "The John Wayne Scrapbook". The book stated that MGM/UA had accounted for all known prints of the 192-minute version---and they had all been destroyed by 1979! However, I knew this was wrong. I wrote Tim Lilley, editor of "The Big Trail", the John Wayne Newsletter, and told him I had seen the long print of "The Alamo" in early 1980. Shortly thereafter I received a phone call from Alamo enthusiast and "expert" Ashley Ward of Ohio. He asked me if "I was sure" and would I do more snooping around. l contacted MGM/UA in Toronto and spoke with a Ms. Melissa Contardi. She was very helpful and told me what prints were on hand both in their Calgary office and Toronto. I had looked up the dates in my journals and asked her to check and see which print had been rented to Cinesphere in March, 1980. She confirmed that a 70mm print in Toronto was "the one." Only here's where things got rather tense: the print was listed at 162 minutes! I asked her if there could be a mistake. A mislabeling? She said, "Possibly, but highly unlikely."

I was definitely troubled by this and began second guessing my judgment. Had I been on drugs or something when I saw it? Had I been so thrilled to hear the "Overture" and "Entr'acte" that I only "thought" I saw all those missing scenes? I went through a ringer of self-examination. But l couldn't get past two things: 1) I wrote in my journal "How thrilling it was to see “The Alamo” in its original glory" (believe me, It has to be really special for me to go and thank a projectionist), and 2) I definitely remembered seeing the birthday party scene for little Aissa Wayne.

John Wayne directing in Todd-AO. From the filming of "The Alamo".

Even more troubled, no doubt, was Ashley Ward, who in spite of evidence to the contrary went ahead trusting it might be the 192-minute Todd-AO print and rented the best theatre In Toronto for a screening on Saturday, November 24, 1990. Mr. Ward travelled all the way from Cincinnati; Dr. Murray Weissmann came from New Jersey; David Mocniak and his wife, Catherine, came from Niagara Falls, and Kipp Martin came from Ohio. I brought my family and invited eight friends to the Eglinton Theatre for the "event."

Before screening began the projectionist told us unequivocably that there was no possible way 192 minutes (or even 202 minutes with all of the musical bits) could be contained in the cans of film he had upstairs.* If nothing else, then, Ashley Ward was determined to enjoy a rare 70mm screening of the 162-minute print. I was feeling really weird! I did not want to be the instigator of a wild goose chase---even a 70mm one!

We all took seats in the giant theatre. The "Overture" began and the mystery began to unravel. I knew from the first few frames of the main title that this was a print that had not been tampered with very much; It was pristine! Then, a gasp and a shudder went through all of us as the first hint of a 192-minute opus presented itself: a credit for the Todd-AO process, which was usually edited out of most "later" prints.

Danish newspaper advert. Editors collection

We held our breaths.

The first major moment occurred only a few minutes into the film after Sam (Richard Boone) Houston leaves and Jim (Richard Widmark) Bowie and his servant Jethro (Jester Hairston) share a dialogue in Bowie's quarters. When this scene continued past the point where all general release prints had previously ended, there was a hurrah and a shout heard round the world! My wife grabbed my hand; Ashley Ward stood up weeping; the quiver of excitement went through the entire little band of people. WE HAD FOUND IT! And it was in excellent condition. As scene after "edited" scene rolled past us in its rightful place, the power and coherency of the story left us all deeply moved. Friends who came wlth me, who had never seen any complete version of the film before, told me that I was right: it was a truly great film and worthy of much more respect than it had been given before. Those who came not knowing the film felt its impact and were swept up in the importance of this "find." "The Alamo" is a great piece of inspirational art and this is the way John Wayne envisioned it---and we were seeing it in the manner he wanted it presented!

When the "Exit" music played, an awestruck but vindicated group of people floated Into the lobby. We spent a few short hours together "fellowshipping" 'round our discovery and then parted company, each of us resolving, I think, to do whatever we could do to see that this print was protected, preserved, restored and issued to the general public.
    Epilogue:
    The following Monday I telephoned a still very "smitten" Ashley Ward (after all, a 30-year search had come to an end!) and he informed me that there had been some 100 or so phone calls made that day concerning "the Toronto print." I also wrote a number of letters: to Rennie Johnson at MGM/UA Home Video; to Jack Foley, MGM/UA Distribution; to Michael Wayne at Batjac Productions; to Bob Harris, who restored “Lawrence of Arabia”, to Lee Pfeiffer, author of "The John Wayne Scrapbook"; to Tim Liley, editor of "The Big Trail"; et. al all in the hope that word will spread and justice will be done to this superior "western" film.

Telephoning Ms. Contardi at MGM/UA in Toronto again, she informed me that she also received numerous calls and that the print itself would be on its way back to the MGM/UA Classics Division offices in Hollywood that very week. So, good lord willing, this priceless document is in safe hands, hands that will respect it and treat it with all the reverence due a true work of art by one of the greatest figures in all of American or world folklore: John Wayne.

* NOTE: Apparently the cans of film were the "old kind" and could be loaded with more film than the "new kind!"

P.S. Those others who were in attendance an Nov. 24 were: Murray Weissmann's daughter, Michael Allen Guild, Graeme Burk, Larry Somerville, 'Alamo' Ray Panavas, Franz and Maxine Nangle, Lynn Bryden, Calvin Bryden, Grant Bryden and Chris Byers.
  • La découverte de l'Alamo perduEn savoir plus sur
    in70mm.com La
    newsletter 70mm
    Écrit par : Bob BrydenDonnées : 01.06.2009

Affiche américaine d'une feuille

En octobre 1960, John Wayne sort son film sur le siège historique d'Alamo. Près de dix ans s'étaient écoulés depuis que Wayne avait conçu le projet et le moment de sa première. Le film de 192 minutes a rencontré des réactions mitigées de la part des critiques et a fait de très bonnes affaires au box-office, mais pas assez pour compenser son énorme budget. Cédant à la pression des critiques et des distributeurs, M. Wayne a coupé 30 minutes du film avant sa sortie générale. L'Alamo d'origine n'a jamais été revu.

C'est-à-dire jusqu'en mars 1980.

A cette époque, je dirigeais un magasin de disques à Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. J'étais à Toronto pour faire du stock et j'ai décidé d'en faire une soirée en allant au cinéma IMAX de la Place de l'Ontario (un parc à thème) pour profiter de leur festival annuel du film 70 mm. "Cléopâtre" (1963) était au programme. Lorsque j'ai téléphoné au théâtre pour vérifier l'heure, j'ai été stupéfait de découvrir que "Cleopatra" avait été annulé et remplacé par mon film préféré de tous les temps : "The Alamo". Il ne m'est jamais venu à l'esprit que ce pourrait être la version originale de 192 minutes que j'avais vue à l'âge de neuf ans en 1960. Par cette nuit d'hiver glaciale, je me suis assis, finalement seul dans ce gigantesque cinéma IMAX tandis que l' original de John Wayne "The Alamo" s'élévait devant moi. En état de choc total et exalté au-delà de toute croyance, j'ai rassemblé des amis et l'ai revu deux nuits plus tard. Me sentant béni au-delà de mes rêves les plus fous de l'avoir revu dans son format original et sur une installation de projection aussi splendide, j'ai remercié Dieu pour ce petit personnel d'exécution. J'ai même remercié le projectionniste !

Tout au long des années 1980, alors que la révolution vidéo s'installait, j'ai regardé avec consternation la version vidéo domestique "pan and scan" du film s'installer sur les étagères des vidéothèques de notre quartier. Je ne pouvais que me demander pourquoi personne ne semblait intéressé par la version originale supérieure. Puis, en février 1990, j'ai trouvé une nouvelle version vidéo du film qui semblait avoir quelques minutes de plus sur l'emballage. Je l'ai acheté et j'ai rapidement couru à la maison --- seulement pour constater que, tout comme la version "pan and scan", il s'agissait essentiellement du film de 162 minutes, uniquement dans le format boîte aux lettres préféré avec un son amélioré numériquement (les "Overture" et "Entr'acte" invoquez les minutes supplémentaires). Terriblement déçu, j'ai en fait appelé MGM/UA Home Video à Los Angeles pour enregistrer mes sentiments auprès d'un George Feltenstein, qui m'a rejeté comme une sorte de cinglé --- ce que je suis. Salut !
    Plus en lecture 70mm :

"The Alamo" a perdu la version 70mm - Cette lettre qui a tout commencé le

24 novembre 1990: Rétrospectivement j'étais

Il

ya deux choses qui m'ont tourmenté pendant la majeure partie de ma vie d'adulte One

Morning In November An

Update On The Long Version The

Reconstruction and Restoration of John Wayne's "The Alamo" Lien

Internet :

"The Alamo" articles et lettres parus dans le magazine "The Spirit of the Epic" fr juin 1990. Reproduit ici avec la permission de Robert Bryden bobbryden.com

Publicité norvégienne. Collection des éditeurs

Ce n'est qu'en septembre 1990 que l'intrigue s'épaissit à nouveau. J'ai acheté et lu le livre de Lee Pfeiffer, "The John Wayne Scrapbook". Le livre indiquait que MGM/UA avait comptabilisé toutes les copies connues de la version de 192 minutes --- et qu'elles avaient toutes été détruites en 1979 ! Cependant, je savais que c'était faux. J'ai écrit à Tim Lilley, rédacteur en chef de "The Big Trail", le John Wayne Newsletter, et lui ai dit que j'avais vu les longs caractères de "The Alamo" au début de 1980. Peu de temps après, j'ai reçu un appel téléphonique d'un passionné et "expert" d'Alamo. Ashley Ward de l'Ohio. Il m'a demandé si "j'étais sûr" et est-ce que je ferais plus de fouinage. J'ai contacté MGM/UA à Toronto et j'ai parlé avec une certaine Mme Melissa Contardi. Elle a été très utile et m'a dit quelles impressions étaient disponibles à la fois dans leur bureau de Calgary et à Toronto. J'avais recherché les dates dans mes journaux et lui avais demandé de vérifier quelle copie avait été louée à Cinesphere en mars 1980. Elle a confirmé qu'une copie de 70 mm à Toronto était "la bonne". Seulement voici où les choses sont devenues plutôt tendues : l'impression a été répertoriée à 162 minutes ! Je lui ai demandé s'il pouvait y avoir une erreur. Une erreur d'étiquetage ? Elle a dit : « C'est possible, mais hautement improbable.

J'étais définitivement troublé par cela et j'ai commencé à remettre en question mon jugement. Avais-je été drogué ou quelque chose comme ça quand je l'ai vu ? Avais-je été tellement ravi d'entendre l'"Ouverture" et l'"Entr'acte" que j'ai seulement "pensé" avoir vu toutes ces scènes manquantes ? Je suis passé par une sonnerie d'auto-examen. Mais je n'ai pas pu passer outre deux choses : 1) j'ai écrit dans mon journal "Comme c'était excitant de voir "The Alamo" dans sa gloire d'origine" (croyez-moi, ça doit être vraiment spécial pour moi d'aller remercier un projectionniste), et 2) je me souviens très bien d'avoir vu la scène de la fête d'anniversaire de la petite Aissa Wayne.

John Wayne réalisant Todd-AO. Du tournage de "The Alamo".

Encore plus troublée, sans aucun doute, était Ashley Ward qui, malgré les preuves du contraire, est allée de l'avant en croyant qu'il pourrait s'agir de la copie de 192 minutes de Todd-AO et a loué le meilleur théâtre de Toronto pour une projection le samedi 24 novembre 1990. M. Ward a fait tout le chemin depuis Cincinnati ; Le Dr Murray Weissmann venait du New Jersey ; David Mocniak et sa femme, Catherine, venaient de Niagara Falls, et Kipp Martin venait de l'Ohio. J'ai amené ma famille et invité huit amis au théâtre Eglinton pour « l'événement ».

Avant le début de la projection, le projectionniste nous a dit sans équivoque qu'il était impossible que 192 minutes (ou même 202 minutes avec tous les morceaux musicaux) puissent être contenues dans les boîtes de film qu'il avait à l'étage. * Si rien d'autre, alors, Ashley Ward était déterminé à profiter d'une rare projection en 70 mm de la copie de 162 minutes. Je me sentais vraiment bizarre ! Je ne voulais pas être l'instigateur d'une chasse à l'oie sauvage --- même en 70 mm !

Nous avons tous pris place dans le théâtre géant. L'"Ouverture" a commencé et le mystère a commencé à s'éclaircir. J'ai su dès les premières images du titre principal qu'il s'agissait d'une impression qui n'avait pas été altérée beaucoup ; C'était vierge ! Puis, un halètement et un frisson nous ont tous parcourus lorsque le premier indice d'un opus de 192 minutes s'est présenté: un crédit pour le processus Todd-AO, qui était généralement édité sur la plupart des tirages "ultérieurs".

Annonce dans un journal danois. Collection Editors

Nous avons retenu notre souffle.

Le premier moment majeur s'est produit quelques minutes seulement après le début du film après le départ de Sam (Richard Boone) Houston et Jim (Richard Widmark) Bowie et son serviteur Jethro (Jester Hairston) partagent un dialogue dans les quartiers de Bowie. Lorsque cette scène s'est poursuivie au-delà du point où toutes les impressions de sortie générale avaient précédemment pris fin, il y a eu un hourra et un cri entendu dans le monde entier ! Ma femme m'a attrapé la main; Ashley Ward se leva en pleurant ; le frémissement d'excitation parcourut tout le petit groupe de personnes. NOUS L'AVONS TROUVÉ ! Et il était en excellent état. Alors que scène après scène "montée" défilait devant nous à sa juste place, la puissance et la cohérence de l'histoire nous ont tous profondément émus. Des amis qui m'ont accompagné, qui n'avaient jamais vu de version complète du film auparavant, m'ont dit que j'avais raison : c'était un film vraiment génial et digne de beaucoup plus de respect qu'on ne lui en avait accordé auparavant. Ceux qui ne connaissaient pas le film en ont ressenti l'impact et ont été subjugués par l'importance de cette « trouvaille ». "The Alamo" est une grande œuvre d'art inspirante et c'est ainsi que John Wayne l'a imaginé --- et nous le voyions de la manière dont il voulait qu'il soit présenté !

Lorsque la musique "Exit" a joué, un groupe de personnes émerveillé mais justifié a flotté dans le hall. Nous avons passé quelques petites heures ensemble à "communiquer" autour de notre découverte, puis nous nous sommes séparés, chacun de nous se résolvant, je pense, à faire tout ce qui était en son pouvoir pour que cette estampe soit protégée, préservée, restaurée et diffusée au grand public. .
    Épilogue:
    Le lundi suivant, j'ai téléphoné à un Ashley Ward encore très « épris » (après tout, une recherche de 30 ans était terminée !) et il m'a informé qu'il y avait eu une centaine d'appels téléphoniques passés ce jour-là concernant « le Toronto imprimer." J'ai également écrit un certain nombre de lettres : à Rennie Johnson de MGM/UA Home Video ; à Jack Foley, MGM/UA Distribution ; à Michael Wayne chez Batjac Productions ; à Bob Harris, qui a restauré « Lawrence d'Arabie », à Lee Pfeiffer, auteur de « The John Wayne Scrapbook » ; à Tim Liley, rédacteur en chef de "The Big Trail" ; et. tout cela dans l'espoir que le mot se répandra et que justice sera rendue à ce film "western" supérieur.

En téléphonant à nouveau à Mme Contardi de MGM/UA à Toronto, elle m'a informé qu'elle avait également reçu de nombreux appels et que l'impression elle-même serait en route vers les bureaux de la division MGM/UA Classics à Hollywood la semaine même. Alors, bon Dieu, ce document inestimable est entre de bonnes mains, des mains qui le respecteront et le traiteront avec toute la révérence due à une véritable œuvre d'art par l'une des plus grandes figures de tout le folklore américain ou mondial : John Wayne.

* REMARQUE : Apparemment, les boîtes de film étaient de l'"ancien type" et pouvaient contenir plus de film que le "nouveau type !"

PS Les autres personnes présentes le 24 novembre étaient : la fille de Murray Weissmann, Michael Allen Guild, Graeme Burk, Larry Somerville, « Alamo » Ray Panavas, Franz et Maxine Nangle, Lynn Bryden, Calvin Bryden,
  • When John Wayne filmed his classic “Alamo” in 1960 at Brackettville with a cast of nearly 1,000, many from San Antonio made the 128-mile trip to be an extra in the epic. When it came time for the movie premiere in San Antonio, it was promoted like any major Hollywood movie. Many people at that time thought it would automatically be premiered in downtown San Antonio, at the then-finest Majestic Theater. It seats over 2,300 and would have been the obvious choice. Houston Street could have handled the searchlights that lit up the skies and the crowds and hoopla that go with premieres. Instead the movie was premiered at a smaller, neighborhood theater, the Woodlawn, which seats about 1,250. There must be a story behind this obvious mishandle, and I hope you can shed some light.

─ Larry Gee

The Woodlawn Theater, at 1920 Fredericksburg Road, isn’t exactly across the alley from the Alamo but had other qualities that made it the right place for the premiere.
    Small but special, it was an Art Deco movie palace designed by John Eberson, architect of the Majestic as well as many other atmospheric theaters. The Woodlawn was hailed as the “newest and most lavish of neighborhood theaters” when it opened Aug. 17, 1945. Operated by the Interstate Theater Circuit, as was the Majestic, the Woodlawn boasted 1,400 seats and free parking — “a full block of paved, floodlighted parking lot in which attendants will be on duty at all times,” says the San Antonio Express, Aug. 13, 1945. The “deluxe suburban theater (had) the finest furnishings available as well as the most expert construction,” and its dedication, hosted by Interstate executives and San Antonio Mayor Gus Mauermann, was broadcast over local radio.
    At the same time, Wayne’s $12-million “Alamo” — one of the most expensive films ever made at that time — had some special requirements. More than three hours long, it couldn’t be combined with another title into a double bill and would require premium pricing, since it couldn’t be shown at the frequency of a standard, 90-minute picture. Theaters that booked “The Alamo” had to commit to showing a single film for the duration of the run.
    Most important was the process in which the film was shot — Todd-AO, a phrase used in advertising and advance publicity as if it were part of the movie’s title, “The Alamo in Todd-AO.” Printed on 70mm film stock, the process allowed for improved sound quality, probably was important to Wayne because of the soundtrack, which featured realistic battle sounds as well as “Alamo Suite,” an original composition by Dmitri Tiomkin. Shot through wide-angle lenses, Todd-AO films also were intended to be shown on curved screens. Typically, they were booked as “road shows” that opened in exclusive arrangements with single theaters in large cities for limited showings over unusually long bookings.
    Tiomkin’s musical score was performed Oct. 22, 1960, by the San Antonio Symphony, conducted by the composer in Municipal Auditorium, one of the many events of the four-day premiere festivities — breakfasts, brunches, luncheons, dinners, receptions, dances, concerts and a trail ride, all leading up to the showing of the movie. The Alamo Premiere Committee of the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce announced that most of the $45,000 cost of the promotional events would be paid for from sales of 600 gold-plated premiere movie tickets at $50 each.
    That premiere audience was exclusive, with additional complimentary tickets given to movie stars and United Artists executives, politicians, national media, local society folk and “the cream of Texas wealth.” When they arrived at the premiere, the Woodlawn was “a glittering spectacle (as) searchlights splashed the redecorated marquee,” says the San Antonio Light, Oct. 25, 1960. Inside, the theater sported a “new ‘gold’ look which cost thousands, including a new screen equipped to handle the Todd-AO film process.”
    When asked why the Woodlawn was chosen, actor/producer Wayne said it was “the only theater that agreed to renovate itself with the necessary equipment to show the film,” as John Farkis reports in “Not Thinkin' ... Just Rememberin': The Making of John Wayne's ‘The Alamo.’” Although the Broadway Theater also had Todd-AO and 70-mm equipment, that upscale neighborhood theater already was showing the widescreen epic “Ben-Hur.” Another technical detail had to do with projection: The Todd-AO angle had to be 9 degrees, “and the Woodlawn booth was already throwing its film from a seven-degree angle.” So the theater made further modifications at a cost of $50,000.
    The Majestic, with 3,700 seats at the time, the Texas Theater (2,732 seats) and the Aztec Theater (2,500) “were not picked for the premiere because they can’t afford to devote themselves to one long-run movie for the next six to 12 months,” according to columnist Paul Thompson in the Express, Aug. 27, 1960.
    Most San Antonians couldn’t get into the premiere, but were invited to buy tickets by mail, offered for showings from the first night through Dec. 31 — only at the Woodlawn, until the following year, when a shorter version of the film was shown elsewhere, including drive-in theaters.

Attachments
    [list][*][/i] View media item" href="https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/attachments/1200x0-jpg.141703/" target="_blank" data-fancybox="lb-post-5128545" data-caption="