The Alamo (1960)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 569 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Started looking for the blu-ray to this film only to come across the sad story of MGM letting the source tapes deteriorate beyond repair so that any restoration is nearly impossible now. Why on earth did they feel inclined to do that? Someone in that company have some hatred towards Wayne to allow a western classic be purposely destroyed? That really ticks me off.
    • Rooster52 wrote:

Started looking for the blu-ray to this film only to come across the sad story of MGM letting the source tapes deteriorate beyond repair so that any restoration is nearly impossible now. Why on earth did they feel inclined to do that? Someone in that company have some hatred towards Wayne to allow a western classic be purposely destroyed? That really ticks me off.
      I still have the VHS full uncut movie.
      However I haven't played it in a long time,
      I have no idea what condition it is in!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • ethanedwards wrote:

Rooster52 wrote:

Started looking for the blu-ray to this film only to come across the sad story of MGM letting the source tapes deteriorate beyond repair so that any restoration is nearly impossible now. Why on earth did they feel inclined to do that? Someone in that company have some hatred towards Wayne to allow a western classic be purposely destroyed? That really ticks me off.
      I still have the VHS full uncut movie.However I haven't played it in a long time,
      I have no idea what condition it is in!
      I have two copies of the VHS Directors Cut. One I bought years ago when it came out and one I found at a garage sale a couple of years ago. Also have it on laser disc a friend of my son gave me, though I don't have a laser disc player to play it on. I used to have a dvd recorder and hooked it up to a vhs player and made dvd copies of the long version. It came out very good. I used two discs on the 2 hours recording mode and got it all, including the entrance, intermission, exit music. Also have the laser disc version on dvd, which has the complete documentary of the making of The Alamo. It's longer than the version of vhs.
    • Y'all are making me want to get out the copy of The Alamo I have , and watch it again. Can't remember for sure , but think I recorded it off a
      satellite dish , 10 foot, back before they started encrypting everything . But, it was recorded on VHS , and they always appeared grainy when played , or recorded onto DVD. Maybe I'll look around for the DVD , even if it's not Blu-ray , it's probably better than the copy I've got ! Time is a problem, too. It's a pretty long movie, isn't it? Hard to find time to watch it at a single sitting.