The Alamo (1960)

There are 625 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 522,879 times. The latest Post () was by andre cremers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Our local newspaper had an item the other day that the Woodlawn Theatre, where "The Alamo" had its World Premiere, has been renovated. It will reopen with a showing of "The Alamo" on the big screen on Oct. 24 :D . Presumably this showing will feature the cut version, since by all reports, the uncut version cannot be restored for theatrical viewing :( .
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Jay,

Thanks for that interesting information.
    What a tragedy, that there can be no original film to show.
    I'm just happy, that I am fortunate, to have a copy of the un-cut version,
    before even that copy was destroyed!!

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Best Wishes

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Keith - I have a copy of that VHS uncut version as well. It makes the storyline smoother and it is in a letterbox format (though not the full letterbox that it should be). Too bad that this version cannot be shown on the big screen.

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Keith -
    It has been awhile since this topic has been close to the front. I bring it back in case you want to incorporate it somehow under "The Alamo" topic. There was a lot of information brought out about "The Alamo" in this section.

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Jay, and thanks for bumping this one up!

As an ongoing project, for continuity,
    I have been merging all fragmented threads,
    as eventually it makes all information
    more accessible

I will take up your idea and merge your topic
    under
    The Alamo, sub-Forum.
    At least now, your discussion will be pinned,
    and not now, slip out of sight.

Best Wishes

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Sep 25 2006, 01:09 PM
    Our local newspaper had an item the other day that the Woodlawn Theatre, where "The Alamo" had its World Premiere, has been renovated. It will reopen with a showing of "The Alamo" on the big screen on Oct. 24 :D . Presumably this showing will feature the cut version, since by all reports, the uncut version cannot be restored for theatrical viewing :( .

[snapback]34879[/snapback]

I didn't mean to sound a little negative about this theatrical showing <_< . This is really a big event, since I don't think (I could be wrong) a showing on the big screen of "The Alamo" has happened since the fabled Toronto showing of the uncut version. I am going to try to attend this event and, if I do, I will report.

"Not hardly!!!"

• I also have a VHS copy of the Directors Cut and I also have a DVD copy of it. I bought this on E-Bay from somewhere in Asia, Singapore, I believe. It was only $6.95 and the picture quality is quite good and is in Dolby Surround. The only thing is, it doesn't have the Entrance, Intermission or, Exit music. I'm also thinkign of buy the laserdisc version and also buying a laserdisc player. I've always heard that the picture quality is outstanding and that if you get the 3 disc version, the Making Of documentary is longer than on the VHS version.

• WaynamoJim

Are you saying that you have a full length copy of the directors cut of the Alamo on DVD, if so how is this possible as I was under the impression that this could not be done.

Robbie
    :agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Yeah Robbie, I do. Like I said it has all the extra scenes in it. Travis telling Bowie about his promotion to Colonel, Emil Sands death, the Dickinson led patrol in which Crocketts man Scotty and a man named Lasoya are killed, the little girls birthday party, the arrival of the men of Gonzales, Parsons death scene. I think that's all of them. I don't know how they got it unless, it was done off the laserdisc or even off a VHS copy but, the picture quality is quite good, better than I expected and it is in Dolby Digital not Surround like I originally said. I could make a DVD copy off my VHS copy. I've got a DVD recorder and I've already tried it and it worked. The only thing is, to get the best picture quality, I'd have to record it in 2 hour mode and put it on 2 discs, maybe three with the Entrance, Intermission and, Exit music and Making of doc to fit in.
    One thing I don't get is, I keep seeing everyone mention that it's 192 minutes long. On the back of my VHS copy it says, 3 hrs 22 min, which is 202 minutes. Also, on my DVD copy it says 202 minutes. So what is the correct running time.

• Hi WaynamoJim,

192 Minutes.

John Wayne's- The Alamo
    The Making of the Epic Film
    by Donald Clark and Christopher Andersen

Don't forget on the VHS the run time of 203 mins,
    also includes the Trailer!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Could someone please clairify the director's cut of The Alamo that was released on VHS some years ago. Is it 192, 202 or 211 minutes? I know for sure there's a 192-minute version (the print found in Toronto), which was certified in England at 192m:29s in 1960. But there seems to be ambiguous information about the length of the film when it was released to video. Perhaps 192 minutes didn't include the overture, intermission, and exit music? Or are people including the VHS 'extras' in the running time?

Also there was a 172-minute version released on VHS: did this include all the music or was it pure film like the 162-minute DVD version?

I would also like to know about the UK VHS version of The Big Trail released by Fox. It's listed on Amazon UK at 116 minutes (PAL) which is 121 minutes NTSC. The DVD runs runs 108 minutes (NTSC). Is the UK VHS the same widescreen print that runs on the Fox Movie Channel? Even if it isn't, is the UK video version really 121 minutes or does it include extras?

Anyone who could provide definitive answers would be much appreciated.

RoughRider

• Hi RoughRider

For the purpose of continuity,

I have placed your post in this the dedicated
    thread, regarding the film.
    At one time today, we had two seperate threads,
    asking for confirmation of running time!
    It's obviously, clearer, if the threads are
    all under the same roof!

The Big Trail is discussed here.

The Big Trail

I have the UK VHS, and on the box, it shows a running time of 116 mins.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

192 Minutes.

John Wayne's- The Alamo
    The Making of the Epic Film
    by Donald Clark and Christopher Andersen

Don't forget on the VHS the run time of 203 mins,
    also includes the Trailer!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith

Ok that cleared up my question, the final version of the Alamo lasts 192 minutes, thanks.

I watched the Alamo recently on TV, with many scenes cut from it, what I am interested in is Crocketts/Dukes contribution to the final battle.

Here is what I could assertain from the TV version

1. Directs his men to fire at the start of the battle
    2. Tells two of his men to take Bowie to the chapel
    3. Informs some of his men to reinforce the north wall
    4. Knocks a mexican of his horse
    5. Throws a gun at a mexican
    6. Is lanced by a Mexican and then ignites the gunpowder.

Have I missed anything?

Robbie
    :agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Robbie,

This was posted earlier in the thread,
    thought I'd bring it back here,
    hope it helps?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England