The Alamo (1960)

There are 625 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 522,961 times. The latest Post () was by andre cremers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This ran in the San Antonio Express this past Sunday. The author was staff reporter Paula Allen who runs regular articles on San Antonio history.

As we remember the Alamo in re-enactment and other observances of the siege and climactic battle of March 6, 1836, there are also San Antonians who remember "The Alamo" - the John Wayne movie version that premiered here in 1960 and occasioned a historic discombobulation of the city's schedule.
    A major Fiesta event and Alamo battle observances took place in October that year, and at least two members of Wayne's entourage emerged somewhat worse for wear, if not actually wounded.
    Though the movie - produced and directed by Wayne, who also starred as Col. David Crockett - was filmed on location. The set was in Brackettville, 125 miles west of San Antonio, at the Alamo Village recreation built by James T. "Happy" Shahan on his Black Angus ranch.
    "The Alamo" was filmed at the more-or-less replica Alamo compoubnd from September through December 1959, but the movie opened in the hometown of the real thing, Oct. 24, 1960. "For citizens of San Antonio, the week of the premiere seemed like a nonstop carnival," says Frank Thompson in Texas Hollywood: Filmmaking in San Antonio Since 1910" (2002, Maverick Publishing).
    Organized by a committee of the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, the official events of the Alamo World Premiere Celebration stretched over four days, from Wayne's boots on the ground at a red-carpet airport reception through the actual opening of the movie.
    The star, his wife, Pilar, and son Jack [this should be Patrick] - who played James Butler Bonham - were joined by "Alamo" co-stars Richard Boone (Sam Houston), Frankie Avalon, Linda Cristal and Chill Wills for the latterday siege of San Antonio. Hollywood visitors ran an event gauntlet from square dance to River Walk boat ride to a San Antonio Symphony performance to a tribute to the Alamo defenders, all calculated to show off the city's tourist attractions.
    Whenever the stars came out, they were followed by a national press corps. Regular people also were able to catch a glimpse of Wayne and others at some events, but the biggest opportunity was a one-night, Oct. 23, reprise of A Night in Old San Antonio, the Fiesta festival sponsored by the San Antonio Conservation Society.
    Tickets were sold to 4,000 members of the public, along with the celebrities, 250 "honor dignitaries," reporters and society members, a crowd of about 5,000 packed La Villita. NIOSA was chosen by chamber officials to "show visiting writers how San Antonio successfully blends the old with the new," says the San Antonio Light, Oct. 21, 1960.
    NIOSA kept its culltures-that-built-San Antonio theme with ethnic and traditional entertainment - mariachis, a German oompah band, an African-American choir, cowboy musicians and folk performers. Food at he off-season repeat also was familiar Tex-Mex and frontier fare: anticuchos, corn on the cob, tacos, tamales and empanadas. The old San Antonio experience "brought tears to the eyes of ("Alamo" score composer) Dimitri Tiomkin," says the San Antonio Express, Oct. 28, 1960. "Taking in all the sights in La Villita, Tiomkin confessed, 'I've never seen anything like this.' "
    The event might have been too successful. Wayne and other celebrities were supposed to be able to mingle with the crowd, but "the very well-known stars," according to the Express, "were virtually unable to move through the little city." A photo in the San Antonio News, Oct. 23, 1960, shows Wayne "surrounded by policemen and San Antonians (as he) makes a fast run through La Villita (toward) a hasty exit."
    Co-star Boone "got hit between the eyes once by a flashbulb tossed by a fan." A "mob at the press club gate" would not permit the stars' exit, writes chamber President Walter N. Corrigan in an otherwise complimentary letter to the Conservation Society, kept in the organization's library. "Pieces of Mrs. Wayne's $800 gown" also were torn off in the melee, say Corrigan, who hastens to add that the contretemps "in no way reflects on the Conservation Society but on a small mob of kids and star worshiping women."
    The premiere was held the next day not downtown but a the suburban Woodlawn Theater, says Thompson, because it was "the only place in town equipped to show the huge 70 mm Todd-AO picture."
    While the $12 million movie initially lost money, the premiere celebration was a hit. "They really liked us!" excllaims a headline in the Oct. 28 Express, quoting a chamber statement noting that "The amount of advertising San Antonio is achieving from this project is beyond calculation," thanks to "the generous, unstinted contributions of their time and money by thousands of San Antonians."

Just though you folks would like to read this bit of nostalgia.

Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• I have to relate something else that came to mind concerning the premiere hoopla - the guy who was the master of ceremonies (or whatever he was called), during a televised celebration at what was then Wonderland Mall just prior to the movie's premiere. was a local weatherman for one of the TV stations. He later got run out of town on a rail because he got caught running around with the TV station's owner's wife.:gossip:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Source: Wikipedia
    -----------------------------

Prelude to battle

After Sam Houston received word that Santa Anna was leading a large force to San Antonio, James Bowie offered to lead volunteers to defend the Alamo from the expected attack. He arrived with 30 men on January 19,[13] where they found a force of 104 men with a few weapons and a few cannons but little supplies and gunpowder.[14] Houston knew that there were not enough men to hold the fort in an attack and had given Bowie orders to remove the artillery and blow up the fortification. Bowie and the Alamo captain, James C. Neill, decided they did not have enough oxen to move the artillery someplace safer, and they did not want to destroy the fortress. On January 26, one of Bowie's men, James Bonham, organized a rally which passed a resolution in favor of holding the Alamo. Bonham signed the resolution first, with Bowie's signature second.[15]
    Through Bowie's connections due to his marriage and his fluency in Spanish, the predominantly Mexican population of San Antonio often furnished him with information about the movements of the Mexican army. After learning that Santa Anna had 4,500 troops and was heading for the city.[15] Bowie wrote several letters to the provisional government asking for help in defending the Alamo, especially "men, money, rifles, and cannon powder".[16] In another letter, to Governor Smith, he reiterated his view that "the salvation of Texas depends in great measure on keeping Bexar out of the hands of the enemy. It serves as the frontier picquet guard, and if it were in the possession of Santa Anna, there is no stronghold from which to repel him in his march toward the Sabine."[16] The letter to Smith ended, "Colonel Neill and myself have come to the solemn resolution that we will rather die in these ditches than give it up to the enemy."[16]
    On February 3, William Travis arrived with an additional 30 troops, and several days later Davy Crockett appeared with twelve Tennesseans. Neill went on furlough on February 17 to visit his sick family, leaving Travis, a member of the regular army, in command.[16] Bowie was older than Travis with a better reputation and considered himself a colonel, thus outranking Travis, a major.[17][18] He refused to answer to Travis, who called an election for the men to choose their own commander. They chose Bowie, infuriating Travis.[17] Bowie celebrated his appointment by getting very drunk and causing havoc in San Antonio, releasing all prisoners in the local jails and harassing citizens. Travis was disgusted, but two days later the men agreed to a joint command; Bowie would command the volunteers, and Travis would command the regular army and the volunteer cavalry.[17][19]

Alamo defenders

The Alamo

Various people had also assembled to help in the defensive effort, including several unofficial volunteers under the command of Jim Bowie. The youngest, Galba Fuqua, was 16, and one of the oldest, Gordon C. Jennings, was 57.
    In the United States, the siege of the Alamo was seen as a battle of American settlers against Mexicans, but many of the Tejanos sided with the rebellion. Many viewed this struggle in similar terms with the American Revolution of 1776. The Tejanos wanted Mexico to have a loose central government which supported states rights as expressed in the 1824 Constitution. One Tejano combatant at the Alamo was Captain (later Colonel) Juan Nepomuceno Seguín, who was sent out as a dispatch rider before the final assault. Other Tejanos include Toribio Losoya and Gregorio Esparza, whose entire family waited out the siege inside the Alamo.
    The defenders of the Alamo came from many places besides Texas. William Barret Travis and James Butler Bonham were both from Saluda County, South Carolina, and Travis had spent some time in Alabama. Jim Bowie was born in Kentucky but spent most of his life in Louisiana. From Tennessee came another small group of volunteers led by famous hunter, politician and Indian-fighter David "Davy" Crockett who was accompanied by Micajah Autry, a neighbor and lawyer. The 12-man "Tennessee Mounted Volunteers" arrived at the Alamo on February 8. The previous month David Crockett had resigned from politics having told his peers that "You may go to hell, I will go to Texas."[citation needed]
    Another group, the "New Orleans Greys", came from that city to fight as infantry in the revolution. The two companies comprising the Greys had participated in the Siege of Béxar in December. Most of the Greys then left San Antonio de Béxar for an expedition to Matamoros, Tamaulipas, with the promise of taking the war to Mexico, but about two dozen remained at the Alamo.
    The question of the Alamo defenders' politics has been controversial. The abrogation of the Constitution of 1824 was a key trigger for the revolt in general, yet many Americans in Texas had strong sympathies for independence or union with the United States. And for many of them, the right to own slaves was a key issue. While the political climate would have been more favorable earlier during 1835 for a reliance on such a Constitution, things changed towards the fall of that year. When the Texians defeated the Mexican garrison at the Alamo in December 1835, their flag did have the word INDEPENDENCE on it. Letters written from the Alamo expressed that "all here are for independence",[citation needed] and the famous letter from Travis referred to their "flag of Independence". Some 25 years after the battle, historian Reuben Potter made the assertion that reinstatement of the Constitution of 1824 was a primary objective, and Potter's comments have also been the source of a myth that the battle flag of the Alamo garrison was some sort of Mexican tricolor with "1824" on it.[citation needed]

Siege

Lieutenant Colonel William Travis was able to dispatch riders before the battle and as late as March 3 informing the Texas provisional government of his situation and requesting assistance. However, Sam Houston's Texas Army was not strong enough to fight through the Mexican Army and relieve the post. The provisional Texas government was also in disarray because of in-fighting among its members. Travis also sent several riders, including James Bonham, to Colonel James Fannin for assistance. Fannin, commander of over 450 Texas forces at Goliad 100 miles (160 km) southeast of the Alamo, attempted an unorganized relief march with 320 men and cannon on February 28 to the Alamo, but he aborted the relief column, citing poor transportation. On March 27, Fannin and most of his men were slaughtered by a Mexican force after surrendering.
    On March 1 at about 1 a.m., 32 Texians led by Captain George Kimbell and John W. Smith from the town of Gonzales slipped through the Mexican lines and joined the defenders inside the Alamo. They would be the only response to Travis' plea for help. The group became known as the "Immortal 32."[20]

Final assault

"The Fall of the Alamo" by Robert Jenkins Onderdonk depicts Davy Crockett in a charge at the Mexican troops who have breached the walls of the mission.

At the end of 12 days the number of Mexican forces attacking the post was reported as high as 4,000 to 5,000, but only about 1,400 to 1,600 soldiers were used in the investment and the final assault. 6,500 soldiers had originally set out from San Luis Potosí, but illness and desertion had since reduced the force. The siege was calculated and professionally conducted in the Napoleonic style. After a 13-day period in which the defenders were tormented with bands blaring at night (including buglers sounding the no-mercy call El Degüello, which literally translates into "slit throat"), occasional artillery fire, and an ever closing ring of Mexicans cutting off potential escape routes, Santa Anna planned the final assault for March 6. Santa Anna raised a blood red flag which made his message perfectly clear. No quarter would be given for the defenders.
    Lieutenant Colonel Travis wrote in his final dispatches: "The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion otherwise the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken — I have answered their demand with a cannon shot, and our flag still waves proudly from the walls — I shall never surrender or retreat."[21]
    The Mexican army attacked the Alamo in four columns plus a reserve and a pursuit and security force, starting at around 5:00 a.m. The first column of 300 to 400 men led by Martín Perfecto de Cos moved towards the northwest corner of the Alamo. The second was of 380 men commanded by Colonel Francisco Duque. The third column comprised 400 soldiers led by Colonel José María Romero. The fourth comprised 100 cazadores (light infantry) commanded by Colonel Juan Morales. The attacking columns had to cover 200 to 300 yards (180 to 275 m) of open ground before they could reach the Alamo walls. To prevent any attempted escape by the fleeing Texians or reinforcements from coming in, Santa Anna placed 350 cavalry under Brigadier General Ramírez y Sesma to patrol the surrounding countryside.
    The Texians initially pushed back one of the attacking columns, although Cos' column was able to breach the Alamo's weak north wall, which was just a plain wooden palisade, fairly quickly where the first defenders fell — among them William Barret Travis, who was allegedly killed by a shot to the head. Meanwhile, the rest of Santa Anna's columns continued the assault while Cos's men flooded into the fortress. The Alamo defenders were spread too thin to adequately defend both the walls and the invading Mexicans. By 8:00 that morning, nearly all of the Alamo defenders had been slain in brutal hand-to-hand combat. Jim Bowie is reported by some survivors to have been bayoneted and shot to death in his cot. The battle, from the initial assault to the capture of the Alamo, lasted only an hour. According to several reports, a group of male survivors were executed after the battle. [22] [23] According to one report Davy Crockett was among them, but the provenance of the document making this claim has been questioned by a number of experts (see below for more details).[23]

Casualties

• Mexican: There are wide variations among reports regarding the number of Mexican casualties at the Alamo. However, some historians and military analysts accept those reports which place the number of Mexican casualties at approximately 200 deaths and 400 wounded. (See below "Mexican Casualties")
    • Texan: 183 to 250 Texian and Tejano bodies were found at the Alamo after the battle, though Santa Anna's official report back to Mexico City, dictated to his personal secretary Ramón Martínez Caro, stated 600 rebel bodies were found. Historians believe this to be a false claim. All but one of the bodies were burned by the Mexicans; the sole exception being Gregorio Esparza, who was buried rather than burned because his brother Francisco had served as an activo and had fought under General Cos in the Siege of Béxar.[citation needed]

Alamo survivors

• Watch that scene closely and you'll hear a gunshot that's a little louder than the rest. A second after that happens, Curtis cries out and falls back over the stockade wall.

I just watched the scene again here, and the only gunshot is that from Curtis' own gun.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Because I had read the thread "Deleted Scene,Two Superb Gems."started by Robbie,
    I was awakened to the importance of the full version of "The Alamo"which accidentally i bought in 1996 and keeping in the lumber room.
    I enjoyed The Alamo full version for the first time in a long time.
    and let me report result of measuring the time.
    as
    Prelude - 3min.05sec.
    Title - 2min.10sec.
    The first half of the original story-89min.45sec.
    Intermission guidance -15sec.
    Interlude-3min.40sec.
    Blackout-5sec.
    The latter half of the original story -99min.20sec.
    Exit music-3min.20sec.
    and overall time is about 201min.40sec.

Thanks
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• I think with the passing of Richard Widmark I'll watch JW version of the battle. I own eight different movies of this battle, three are silent films.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I think with the passing of Richard Widmark I'll watch JW version of the battle. I own eight different movies of this battle, three are silent films.

Which in your opinion is the best version and which is the most historically accurate?

I have only ever seen the mutilated version of John Wayne's "Alamo".

Regards
    Robbie

• Which in your opinion is the best version and which is the most historically accurate?

I have only ever seen the mutilated version of John Wayne's "Alamo".

Well the most entertaing for me is Duke's long version,but by far the most accorate is the last version.I only wish Ron Howard had not pulled out of the project that would have been interesting.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Well the most entertaing for me is Duke's long version,but by far the most accorate is the last version.I only wish Ron Howard had not pulled out of the project that would have been interesting.

I agree! I think the remake would have been a lot better if Ron Howard had helmed the pic.

"Not hardly!!!"

• I may be headed to Austin this year sometime for work. How far away is the Alamo from Austin? That's a question to all the Texan's on the board.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hey, Todd - San Antonio is about 76 miles down IH-35 from Austin. That route is getting heavily traveled, though, so expect some busy traffic if you're driving.

"Not hardly!!!"