The Alamo (1960)

There are 624 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 520,286 times. The latest Post () was by andre cremers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• About the running time of The Alamo.

TCM Canada had the director's cut on Wednesday, and I recorded to my hard drive. From start to finish, excluding the brief United Artists intro, the film runs 202m:14s. This time, of course, includes the Overture, Entr'Acte and Exit music. Without such music, the film runs 191m:40s. The aspect ratio is 2.08:1.

I imagine this would be the same print on the special VHS/LD, which is commonly listed at 202 minutes. So that time doesn't include any 'extras'.

As mentioned earlier, The Alamo was certified by the BBFC in 1960 at 192m:29s. The book John Wayne: American states the film premiered in San Antonio, Texas, at 206 minutes.

RoughRider
    John Wayne on DVD: A Filmography

• Hi Rough Rider,

This is what I posted earlier, and this is what it says in the book,
    I too have the Directors cut
    on VHS and on the box it states
    203 mins, and it includes everything
    including the film trailer,
    I'll check the actual movie length later,
    and edit this post.

It says aspect ratio 2.35 : 1

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• The book probably based the 192-minute running time on the actual film (i.e. excluding the music), which I believe is how it premiered in Los Angeles.

The BBFC (Board of British Film Censors) certified the 1993 UK video release at 202m:37s, but I thought this included 'extras' because the film is generally listed at 192-193 minutes. The BBFC's running time closely matches the TCM print, and might include the United Artists intro. TCM prints generally match those that have been released on home video.

It's hard to pin a film down to the second because of the variables involved, but the times are close enough for me to believe the VHS, LaserDisc and TCM prints are the same. Another factor is that my hardware captures at 30.00fps, so on DVD-R the times are slightly shorter because things get encoded at 29.97fps. In the case of The Alamo, it reduced the film's length by about 12 seconds.

There was also a 172-minute version of The Alamo released on home video. I don't have any details about it, but just guessing it must be the same film as the 162-minute DVD except with 10 minutes of additional music (like in the director's cut).

Video boxes typically list 2.35:1 for letterboxed films -- it's probably a mistake but one never knows. The DVD is 2.20:1 but the VHS/LaserDisc may have been matted (I doubt it though). On a standard TV it's hard to judge the aspect ratio because of overscanning, which cuts off all sides by about 10% -- it depends on the TV. I saw a 1.78:1 DVD on an old TV where the overscan was so bad the film displayed full-screen (and yes, the DVD player was configured correctly).

RoughRider
    John Wayne on DVD: A Filmography

• Hi Rough Rider,

Timed the film,
    and it is acually 202mins 30 odd seconds,

Including the intro, intermission and exit music,

The trailer, is some 3 and a half minutes,
    which is extra.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Sep 25 2006, 01:09 PM
    Our local newspaper had an item the other day that the Woodlawn Theatre, where "The Alamo" had its World Premiere, has been renovated. It will reopen with a showing of "The Alamo" on the big screen on Oct. 24 :D
    Cheers - Jay :D

[snapback]34879[/snapback]

Well, since that report, everything just stopped as far as I know. No more mentioning on this event in the paper or any other publicity - no phone number to call. It sounds like everything went bust. Sorry I can't relay any better news :(:angry: .
    Cheers - Jay <_<

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I have the latest. I got this from http://www.thealamofilm.com of which I am a member. It seems that the showing of The Alamo has been postponed until March of 07. According to Jonathan Pennington, who I believe is renovating the theater said that MGM would not have a print availabe for 35 MM projectors. I believe this info came from the San Antonio Express-News.

• All I can say is that I really enjoyed this movie, even with all of its mistakes.

At least John Wayne tried to create an entertaining and patriotic movie. Not too many "stars" were doing that in those days.

I always appreciate John Wayne and his courage.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    JohnWayne-ly Yours, Pilgrim

TEECEE

Originally posted by WaynamoJim@Nov 4 2006, 07:09 PM
    I have the latest. I got this from http://www.thealamofilm.com of which I am a member. It seems that the showing of The Alamo has been postponed until March of 07. According to Jonathan Pennington, who I believe is renovating the theater said that MGM would not have a print availabe for 35 MM projectors. I believe this info came from the San Antonio Express-News.

[snapback]36652[/snapback]

Thank you for that information, WaynamoJim :D . I evidently missed that when it came out. My wife has been in the hospital twice in the last month and things just seem to get out of sorts at times.
    Cheers - Jay <_<

"Not hardly!!!"

• Duke's Movie Locations

ALAMO VILLAGE

Bracketville, Texas

areaveiwAV.jpgPennysAlamoPic.jpg

Information from
    Alamo Village, Brackettville,Texas

Texas' most active and versatile movie set
    is also one of the largest and most complete
    (no false fronts here) backlots in the world.
    Built for John Wayne's The Alamo, Alamo
    Village has played host to more than 200 major feature films,
    TV movies, mini-series,documentaries, commercials, and music videos.
    Barbarosa with Willie Nelson, Lonesome Dove
    with Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones,
    The Good Old Boys, starring Sissy Spacek, Tommy Lee Jones,
    and Matt Damon, Bad Girls with Andie MacDowell
    and Drew Barrymore and the modern day millennial comedy thriller,
    The Bullfighter with Willem Defoe have all been
    filmed here.

Why here? Because Kinney County
    rancher and businessman James T.
    "Happy" Shahan convinced John Wayne's
    Batjac Productions to film The Alamo here.
    Since, hundreds of other production companies
    have used our one-of-a-kind set located in the middle
    of a 30 square mile working ranch.

Alamo Village is open to the public (except 5 days during Christmas).
    Folks may stroll through the Alamo compound plus there are
    over 18 walk-in buildings to see including
    the John Wayne Museum, wagon room, jail, bank,
    church, Indian store, Trading post, and Cantina (full service restaurant)
    where there is cold "root" beer on draught!
    In the summer, there are four shows daily,
    kicking off with a music show inside the Cantina
    followed by a "fun for the whole family" gunfight depicting the Old West.
    There's something for the movie lover and movie maker.

Filming Locations

Texas, USA

Austin, Texas, USA

Bastrop, Texas, USA
    (battle of San Jacinto)

Dripping Springs, Texas, USA

Driskell Hotel - 604 Brazos Street, Austin, Texas, USA

Jim Small's Big Thicket, Bastrop, Texas, USA
    (lake camp scenes)

Paramount Theatre - 713 Congress, Austin, Texas, USA

Pedernales Falls State Park - 2585 Park Road 6026, Johnson City, Texas, USA
    (Zacatecas and Mexican command scenes)

Reimer's Ranch - Hamilton Pool Road, Dripping Springs, Texas, USA
    (Alamo and Bexar scenes)

Steiner Ranch - 896 Sayers Road, Bastrop, Texas, USA
    (Bexar & Alamo scenes)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith did you ever find out the answer to the above topic?

Robbie
    :agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Been to Alamo Village twice and believe me it's worth the trip. If you've never been before, you'll be quite suprised by how small the Alamo compound really is compared to how it looks in the movie but, that doesn't mean you're not in awe with the detail of it. Only trouble is, there are few things that are noticably different than the way it originally looked. Among them, where Travis HQ was, now sports a pink colored hump facade that was added for some other film. Plus, the wall to the right of the southwest corner is not original. Wayne bulldozed the original for shooting battle scenes and when it was rebuilt, it was brought in by a few feet and has a rather large gate in the middle of the whole west wall to allow film equipment to be brought in. Also, the north wall had to be rebuilt and looks vastly different than from the movie. And the rear of the church was also blown up during battle scenes and when it was rebuilt it shortened the church by some feet and there's now a ramp that goes up the back that was built for The Alamo:The Price Of Freedom Imax film to make more realistic from history.
    Plus, some of the buildings in the town have been ones added over the years for other films, like the hotel/saloon from Two Rode Together. But everything else is there and it's alot of fun to go through and imagine what scenes were shot where. Even though it's only film history, it still seems like real American history because of the type of film that The Alamo was. AS far as I know, Virginia Shahan still has the Village up for sale and evne when I was last there in 04, there were rumors that someone was buying it and that he or she might have plans to restore it all to the way Wayne built it back in the late 50's. I, fro one, would not mind seeing that. As a teenage kid, I always dreamed of going there seeing it as it was and didn't make till is was 53 yrs old. Better late than never. Anybody wants to go see it, be sure to look up Rich Curilla. He's a film maker who has lived and worked at Alamo Village since the late 60's and he is a treat to talk to. Tell you all you want to know about this movie and all Alamo movies. The man is an expert. Even had a walk on role in the Dean Martin-Jimmy Stewart movie Bandolero which filmed at Alamo Village in 69.

• Nice pictures, Keith. By the way, any idea when they were taken? The two of the Alamo compund look like they may have been taken around the time it was being built or shortly after filming was complete. There's no second floor that was Travis HQ on that part of the long barracks and everything looks fairly new. If it was after the film was comp-leted, I would think there would be burn marks on the right side windows of the church where the poweder room exploded plus, the upper area of Travis HQ was blown apart for the battle scenes and post filming photos show burn marks on what was left of the upstairs.

Another little tidbit of info. Remember the scenes of Crockett going up and down the stairway near the Cantina? That stairway goes absolutley nowhere. There's nothing up there. When the upper rooms were shown, it was a set built at Fort Clark in Bracketville. I didn't know if you knew that or not but, thought I'd mention it. In one of the photos you posted, you can see the stairway in the background.

I'd also like to tell you and others about a guy my sons work with at Northwest Airlines. His name is Ken Pruitt and back in the early 70's, he worked at Alamo Village for a couple of years. Some years after he moved back up to Michigan, he built a diorama of the Alamo based on the Wayne film. I've seen it a few times now and it takes up nearly 1/4 of his basement,it's so large. It is also so detailed from the film you wouldn't believe it. He re- created absolutely everything from the original set right down to the smallest item. Even in Travis HQ, he painstakingly built exact mini replicas of Travis furniture. I wish I had some pictures I could post so all could see. If you go http://www.thealamofilm.com and do some looking, you'll find some photos that were posted of it. He also has artifacts from the film such as about a 15-20 Mexican uniforms that were worn and other things, like one of the scaling ladders which he just got a few months back. He's a big time Alamo movie collector.

• I have the latest. I got this from www.thealamofilm.com of which I am a member. It seems that the showing of The Alamo has been postponed until March of 07. According to Jonathan Pennington, who I believe is renovating the theater said that MGM would not have a print availabe for 35 MM projectors. I believe this info came from the San Antonio Express-News.

Well - here it is almost the end of March '07 and I have not been able to find any reference (in the San Antonio Express) of any planned theatrical showing of "The Alamo" locally. I guess this is turning out to be wishful thinking:ohwell: .

"Not hardly!!!"

• Well - here it is almost the end of March '07 and I have not been able to find any reference (in the San Antonio Express) of any planned theatrical showing of "The Alamo" locally. I guess this is turning out to be wishful thinking:ohwell: .

Au contrere mon frere. It's happening on Friday, Oct. 5th 2007 and another showing the following night, Oct 6th. It'll be at the Woodlawn Theater, which I believe was the theater that had the original premier of The Alamo way back then. I'll try and have more info or a link later.

• Au contrere mon frere. It's happening on Friday, Oct. 5th 2007 and another showing the following night, Oct 6th. It'll be at the Woodlawn Theater, which I believe was the theater that had the original premier of The Alamo way back then. I'll try and have more info or a link later.

Thank you, WaynamoJim:hyper: - Yes, the Woodlawn was the location of the premiere showing of "The Alamo." As I recall, it was Oct., 1960, so this would be an "anniversary" showing.
    Let me show my curiosity - How does one residing in Detroit get this info while this San Antonio resident doesn't hear a peep:yeaahh: ? Such are the vagaries of life in this old world, I guess.

"Not hardly!!!"

• That's easy. I've got people!

Seriously, if you go to www.thealamofilm.com, click on Forums, click on Alamo Movies, scroll down a little till you see the thread title(can't miss it) and check it out yourself. Right now, they have cast members Rudy Robbins( It Do), Dean Smith( stuntman) and Jim Brewer( cannon guy on Alamo church roof, "primed and ready, sir"). Also Tulisha Wardlaw who is Happy Shahans daughter, historian John Farkis and, I think they're trying to get Joan O'Brien to attend. You can read it all on the site when you go there.