Are We Too Critical Of Kevin Costner?

There are 30 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,964 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I liked hin in Untouchables-I admit-also in that movie he made that also had Anthony Quinn in it. I hate him--nope, but im just not a fan of his.

I like James Cagney, Edward G. Robinson, Humphrey Bogart and the Three Stooges, however someone else here-might not.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Revenge is the movie you're thinking of, Ringo.
    I like some of Costners movies but, not all. I thought Dances With Wolves and Open Range were two of the best westerns ever made. Both movies had a good story and a first rate cast. I thought Waterworld was fairly decent. Certainly better than the critics said. Silverado was an excellent film but, Costner was only a supporting actor in that one, though it did put him on the map. I liked Wyatt Earp but, as some of you said, Tombstone was way above it. In fact, I heard when Wyatt Earp first came out that it was originally slated to be a tv miniseries but, then Costner put the kabosh on it. It might have worked better as a miniseries. Then they wouldn't have had to cram all that material into a 3 hour movie. They could've stretched it out some.

• Hi all

Just getting back into the swing of things again,
    I know we have discussed this one before.
    I still think Mr Costner is a very good actor. I own
    some of his movies on DVD and enjoy watching him.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• I case anyone missed my post in another thread, I cannot remember which one(old age??). His production company is currently working or will be working in 2008 on a new western starring Kevin. Just a FYI, go to his website www.kevincostner.com and click on the upcoming link.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Untouchables, Dances W Wolves, Bull Duram, Tin Cup, Postman, 13 days and others, I find him to be versatile. He is said to have turned down a role in platoon as he felt it cast US soldiers in too negative a light and his brother was in the service. I can respect that.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• If no one minds me repeating myself... I have respect for the man himself, he seems to have a decent moral attitude.
    But whenever I see him try to act tough, I giggle nonstop cause his voice reminds me of Michael J. Fox. That right there is my problem with Costner.

• If no one minds me repeating myself... I have respect for the man himself, he seems to have a decent moral attitude.
    But whenever I see him try to act tough, I giggle nonstop cause his voice reminds me of Michael J. Fox. That right there is my problem with Costner.

He might have a wimpy voice like Micheal J but his actions speak louder than words.I am refering to the scene in "Open Range" where Kim Coates the notorious ,super fast gunslinger is beaking off to Costner and he just up and shoots him between the eyes.
    As the younger generation today would say..."Bring it...Don't sing it"...

• He might have a wimpy voice like Micheal J but his actions speak louder than words.I am refering to the scene in "Open Range" where Kim Coates the notorious ,super fast gunslinger is beaking off to Costner and he just up and shoots him between the eyes.
    As the younger generation today would say..."Bring it...Don't sing it"...

That is a very powerful moment in that film........

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Revenge is the movie you're thinking of, Ringo.
    I like some of Costners movies but, not all. I thought Dances With Wolves and Open Range were two of the best westerns ever made. Both movies had a good story and a first rate cast. I thought Waterworld was fairly decent. Certainly better than the critics said. Silverado was an excellent film but, Costner was only a supporting actor in that one, though it did put him on the map. I liked Wyatt Earp but, as some of you said, Tombstone was way above it. In fact, I heard when Wyatt Earp first came out that it was originally slated to be a tv miniseries but, then Costner put the kabosh on it. It might have worked better as a miniseries. Then they wouldn't have had to cram all that material into a 3 hour movie. They could've stretched it out some.

Hi WayneamoJim, thanks for the movies name. I've been too busy lately to give it any thought on looking it up at IMBD ;-D

Best regards-Carl.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Seeeing that this topic is continuing thought I'd add this for everyone.
    Carl, I hope this saves you looking up the information?

Kevin Costner

Information form IMDb

Date of Birth:
    18 January 1955, Lynwood, California, USA

Height
    6' 1" (1.85 m)

Mini Biography

Kevin was born in Lynwood, California, on January 18, 1955, the third child of Bill Costner, a ditch digger and ultimately an electric line servicer for Southern California Edison, and Sharon Costner. His older brother, Dan, was born in 1950. A middle brother died at birth in 1953. His Dad's job required him to move regularly, which caused Kevin to feel like an Army kid, always the new kid at school, which led to him being a daydreamer. As a teen, he sang in the Baptist church choir, wrote poetry, and took writing classes. At 18, he built his own canoe and paddled his way down the rivers that Lewis & Clark followed to the Pacific. Despite his present height, he was only 5'2" when he graduated high school. Nonetheless, he still managed to be a basketball, football and baseball star. In 1973, he enrolled at California State University at Fullerton, where he majored in business. During that period, Kevin decided to take acting lessons five nights a week. He graduated with a business degree in 1978 and married his college sweetheart, Cindy Costner. He initially took a marketing job in Orange County. Everything changed when he accidentally met Richard Burton on a flight from Mexico. Burton advised him to go completely after acting if that is what he wanted. He quit his job and moved to Hollywood soon after. He drove a truck, worked on a deep sea fishing boat, and gave bus tours to stars' homes before finally making his own way into the films. After making one soft core sex film, he vowed to not work again if that was the only work he could do. He didn't work for nearly six years, while he waited for a proper break. That break came with The Big Chill (1983), even though his scenes ended up on the cutting room floor -- he was remembered by director Lawrence Kasdan when he decided to make Silverado (1985). Costner's career took off after that.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: John Sacksteder

(1990) Chosen by People magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the world.

Awards
    Won 2 Oscars. Another 26 wins & 30 nominations

Filmography

1. "The Explorers Guild" (2008) TV series (pre-production) (unknown episodes)
    2. The New Daughter (2009) (filming) .... John James
    3. Swing Vote (2008) (post-production) .... Bud Johnson

4. Mr. Brooks (2007) .... Mr. Earl Brooks
    5. The Guardian (2006/I) .... Ben Randall
    6. Rumor Has It... (2005) .... Beau Burroughs
    ... aka Rumour Has It... (Australia) (Canada: English title) (New Zealand: English title)
    7. The Upside of Anger (2005) .... Denny Davies
    ... aka An deiner Schulter (Germany)
    8. Open Range (2003) .... Charley Waite
    9. Dragonfly (2002) .... Joe Darrow
    ... aka Im Zeichen der Libelle (Germany)
    10. The Road to Graceland (2001) (voice) .... Thomas J. Murphy
    11. 3000 Miles to Graceland (2001) .... Thomas J. Murphy
    12. Thirteen Days (2000) .... Kenny O'Donnell
    ... aka Thirteen Days (USA)

13. For Love of the Game (1999) .... Billy Chapel
    14. Message in a Bottle (1999) .... Garret Blake
    15. The Postman (1997) .... The Postman
    16. Tin Cup (1996) .... Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy
    17. Waterworld (1995) .... Mariner
    18. The War (1994) .... Stephen Simmons
    19. Wyatt Earp (1994) .... Wyatt Earp
    20. A Perfect World (1993) .... Robert 'Butch' Haynes
    21. The Bodyguard (1992) .... Frank Farmer
    22. JFK (1991) .... Jim Garrison
    ... aka JFK (France)
    ... aka JFK - Affaire non classée (France: poster title)
    23. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991) .... Robin of Locksley
    24. Dances with Wolves (1990) .... Lt. John J. Dunbar
    25. Revenge (1990/I) .... Michael J. 'Jay' Cochran

26. Field of Dreams (1989) .... Ray Kinsella
    27. Bull Durham (1988) .... Crash Davis
    28. No Way Out (1987) .... Lt. Cmdr. Tom Farrell
    29. The Untouchables (1987) .... Eliot Ness
    30. Shadows Run Black (1986) .... Jimmy Scott
    31. Sizzle Beach, U.S.A. (1986) .... John Logan
    ... aka Malibu Hot Summer
    32. "Amazing Stories" .... Captain (1 episode, 1985)
    ... aka Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories (USA: complete title)
    - The Mission (1985) TV episode .... Captain
    33. American Flyers (1985) .... Marcus Sommers
    34. Silverado (1985) .... Jake
    35. Fandango (1985) .... Gardner Barnes, Groover
    36. The Gunrunner (1984) .... Ted
    37. Testament (1983) .... Phil Pitkin
    38. The Big Chill (1983) (scenes deleted) .... Alex
    39. Stacy's Knights (1983) .... Will Bonner
    ... aka Double Down
    ... aka The Touch (USA: video title)
    ... aka Winning Streak (UK: video title)
    40. Table for Five (1983) .... Newlywed Husband
    41. Frances (1982) (uncredited) .... Luther (Man in Alley)
    42. Night Shift (1982) .... Frat Boy #1
    43. Chasing Dreams (1982) .... Ed

Producer

1. "The Explorers Guild" (2008) TV series (pre-production) (producer) (unknown episodes)
    2. Swing Vote (2008) (post-production) (producer)

3. Mr. Brooks (2007) (producer)
    4. Open Range (2003) (producer)
    5. Thirteen Days (2000) (producer)
    ... aka Thirteen Days (USA)

6. Message in a Bottle (1999) (producer)
    7. The Postman (1997) (producer)
    8. Waterworld (1995) (producer)
    9. "500 Nations" (1995) (mini) TV mini-series (executive producer)
    10. Wyatt Earp (1994) (producer)
    11. Rapa Nui (1994) (producer)
    12. The Bodyguard (1992) (producer)
    13. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991) (producer) (uncredited)
    14. Dances with Wolves (1990) (producer)
    15. Revenge (1990/I) (executive producer)

Director

1. Open Range (2003)

2. The Postman (1997)
    3. Waterworld (1995) (uncredited)
    4. Dances with Wolves (1990)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Where Are They Now

(October 2007) He was touring with his music band, "Kevin Costner and Modern West". Tour includes shows in Istanbul and in Rome (both shows sold out).

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England