Duke's Deleted Scenes and Missing Footage

There are 89 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 49,359 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I was wondering if anybody out there knows if any of the dvds of John Waynes films include any extras which show some of the scenes that were finally deleted. I see this a lot on modern movies and think that it would be really interesteng to see unseen footage in such great movies as El Dorado and The Searchers etc

B)

Regards
    Robbie

• Hey Robbie,

Welcome to the board. This is a good question. I don't have all of the Duke's movies on DVD, but the ones I do have, do not have deleted scenes. That includes:

The Searchers
    The Quiet Man
    The Shootist
    Stagecoach
    The War Wagon
    Donovan's Reef
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    True Grit
    The Alamo
    Sands of Iwo Jima
    The Longest Day
    She Wore A Yellow RIbbon
    Rio Grande
    Rio Bravo
    Sons Of Katie Elder
    The Horse Soldiers
    Hellfighters
    A Lady Takes A Chance
    Hatari!
    The Green Berets
    Red River

The Greatest Story Ever Told does have deleted scenes, but Duke makes a brief appearence in that movie.

Maybe someone can tell you about the other moives.

Hondo :rolleyes:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Robbie:

A very good question, but unfortunately in the days of Duke's films, they really did'nt keep the cut scenes. This is very unfortunate for in the movies Duke made with Ford, these scenes that were edited or cut would have probably made some lesser directors careers. I think it would have been very interesting and marketable to have collected those scenes and included them in a special edition video or dvd.

Ethan

Don't Believe In Surrenders!!!!!

• Yo Ethan

That is annoying that so much footage of Dukes is lost, but you have to remember that nearly one hours footage of the Alamo was lost until very recently. Apocalypse now which was made in the early seventies has had an extra 1 hour added to it and Duke made a lot of movies in the seventies. I still think that there is footage from his films out there, there is one such scene that I am sure of and that is of Harry Carrey Jnr wanting to enlist with Chance in Rio Bravo but being turned down becuase he has not good enough. It has been seen by some people.

Can anyone help regarding deleted scenes

B)

Regards
    Robbie

• I just want to bring this message to the top of the forum again as it may rejog some peoples memory or some new members may know the answer to this question.

B)

Regards
    Robbie

• The trailers are a good source to find deleted scenes and sometimes other camera angles because most often they had the trailers in the theaters when they were still fine tuning the cut of the picture.
    In the Back to Bataan trailer there's another angle of the stunt in which JW gets blown out of his bomb shelter.
    In the Trouble Along the Way trailer there's another angle of John punching his opponent through a window.
    Lots of deleted scenes in the Longest Day trailer: Missing scenes with Paul Anka and Jean-Louis Barrault and the scene with JW and Robert Ryan is cut differently. Also cut was the scene in which Irina Demich gets back to that wine cellar after successfully blowing up the train only to find her comrades murdered. Then she's picked up by some nasty Gestapo fellas. It was shot - there are photos in a tie-in for the movie, and Demich's portrait they used for the poster was taken from that scene - yet I have never seen it anywhere.

• Hi Roland

Thats solves one slight mystery as I was always curious as to what happened several scenes in the trailer of the Searchers. Do you know of any way apart from via trailers of how to come across these scenes nowadays and do you know of any other cut scenes that may exist.
    B)

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Robbie,
    yep, there are some shots in The Searches trailer which weren't used. Sometimes they might also film additional scenes to promote the film, like for the Trailer of The War Wagon or for Rio Bravo, or an introduction like for The Barbarian and the Geisha.
    Where to find deleted scenes? I wish I knew. You mean where the original material might be? They're either stored somewhere with the studios (must look somehow like that last scene of Raiders of the Lost Arc - they would never find them again themeselves, even if they still had them) or already detoriated, because the original material on 35mm won't stay with us forever.

• Hi, one movie I do have on dvd that added in a few deleted scenes was in the movie Big Jake. Ones that I noticed that were added was after their ambush by Fein and they were at their campsite and at night when the Duke notices that his son (Patrick) was limping. It turned out he was hit in the ashcan with buckshot.

The Duke tells him to drop his pants who also refuses until the Dog growls. Next you then see him cutting out the buckshot. Also, the Duke also uses a variation on a curseword from Bas.... to Bustard. I thought that was good to hear instead of the real curseword.

:cowboy: TRK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• TRK,

I assume that you are talking about these deleted scenes were in the movie and not in a deleted section on the DVD. Right? I have the DVD, but don't remember seeing a special feature on Deleted Scenes.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• This is one of my favourite topics and I notice this is the one where Mike welcomes me to the board, very interesting to see these old posts again.

I was watching a documentary the other day on Humphrey Bogart and it contained many scenes deleted from his movies such as Casablanca etc and even had footage shown alternative endings to some of his movies it was very interesting.

Duke was from the same era as Bogart which gives me some hope that there is deleted scenes from his movies still in existance. With regards to the above comment Roland is correct that scene was always in Big Jake but I do get the feeling that this movie may have had many scenes deleted from it along with the movie Hondo, any additional information would be great.

Thanks.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• As many will know deleted scenes is one of my favourite topics and I apologise in advance if anybody is beginning to find my questions on this subject a little boring.

I was recently reading the 'JW scrapbook' which stated that the liklihood of finding the missing scenes from the Alamo was the same as that of a man giving birth to a baby, how wrong this proved.

I was recently reading a post on the IMDB regarding the High and the Mighty and many stated that within the DVD release of this movie several scenes seemed to be missing from what they remember seeing in the 1950's.

In addition to this Big Jakes seems to have suffered from either lost footage or deleted scenes as the outcome for the bad guy called young Billy is unknown.

The trailer for the Searchers shows several shots of John Wayne riding that were not added to the final version for what ever reason. One of these shots shows Duke with the confederate cape so this missing footage could state what actually happened when Ethan located Lucy (Maybe thats why Ford deleted it).

My question is have any of Dukes movies been affected due to lost footage that was there originally in the movies release.

Is there footage still available of deleted scenes from Dukes movies?

I would love to hear some of your information and views on this subject.

Thanks in advance
    Robbie.

Regards
    Robbie

• I don't have any specific details for you but seeing that they are releasing a 2 disc special Edition of "The Searchers", you may get your wish as far as deleted scenes go. Oh and "Stagecoach" as well.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Speaking of missing footage, I've recently watched "HONDO" for the first time in years the other day, and I swear that part of the final battle is missing. After the battle Hondo gives Lenny (the James Arness character) his rifle because as Ward Bond says, "He shot that Indian off your back". That's part is in the DVD.

But, I remember, watching the movie when I was a kid, and I remember the scene where Lenny saves Hondo from being stabbed by an attacking Apache; it's a close up of Arness firing Hondo's rifle saving Hondo's life. That part of the battle scene is not in the DVD.

Anyone else remember that scene?

• Interestingly enough that scene is also missing from my VCR version although I did tape it of the TV.

Hi Sxviper I have not heard much about the release of the 2 DVD special for the Searchers but I hope there are deleted scenes within it, maybe someone else on this site can help.

Regards
    Robbie

• What would be really cool would be if someone found Duke's original five hour cut of THE ALAMO!! B)

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Originally posted by Robbie@Mar 27 2006, 06:17 AM
    I didn't know the uncut original of the Alamo was 5 hours, I thought the original was located weighing in at 3hrs 13 mins.

[snapback]29824[/snapback]

The 3hr 13 min version was the longest version release to the public. The 5 hour cut was Duke's original cut that was only shown to UA executives. The chances that it still exist is almost nill. :cry2: Then again that is what we said about the 3 and a 1/4 hour version.

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Originally posted by ZACK613@Mar 27 2006, 03:11 PM
    The 3hr 13 min version was the longest version release to the public. The 5 hour cut was Duke's original cut that was only shown to UA executives. The chances that it still exist is almost nill. :cry2: Then again that is what we said about the 3 and a 1/4 hour version.

[snapback]29835[/snapback]

That's correct. The 3 hour, 13 minute version is the one shown at the premiere and for some weeks thereafter here in San Antonio. No lengthier version was ever seen by the public.
    Cheers - Jay :uhuh:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"