Duke's Deleted Scenes and Missing Footage

There are 89 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 49,768 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Resar mentioned about 2 years ago on this board that there is a scene of Duke twirling his rifle in the trailer for Hondo. As this scene is currently not in the movie it would be a nice little addition to the movie if it was copied from the trailer onto the movie.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

Originally posted by Robbie@Mar 28 2006, 01:54 PM
    What extra footage did the 5 hour version have, it sounds like Duke filmed an awful lot of footage.

[snapback]29847[/snapback]

I wish to G-d I knew. I have never talked to anyone who has seen it. Perhaps some of the footage is an Duke's TV Special "The Spirit of the Alamo". Anyone out there have a copy? :uhuh2:

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Originally posted by stall 956@Apr 2 2006, 05:04 PM
    I know a company that has all the outakes from Hondo & Stagecoach.

[snapback]30024[/snapback]

Can you elaborate a little please?

Regards
    Robbie

• I have ssen in print about Dobe Carry's scenes that were edit out of Rio Bravo. He is a townee who wants to help much as Ward Bond's character. Remember the movie was conceived as the Anti-High Noon.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Originally posted by ZACK613@Apr 2 2006, 10:32 PM
    I have ssen in print about Dobe Carry's scenes that were edit out of Rio Bravo. He is a townee who wants to help much as Ward Bond's character. Remember the movie was conceived as the Anti-High Noon.

[snapback]30028[/snapback]

Have you seen the footage or just read about it?

Regards
    Robbie

Originally posted by ZACK613@Apr 3 2006, 12:32 AM
    I have ssen in print about Dobe Carry's scenes that were edit out of Rio Bravo. He is a townee who wants to help much as Ward Bond's character. Remember the movie was conceived as the Anti-High Noon.

[snapback]30028[/snapback]

Hi Zack,
    Why anti High Noon. I never compared them.
    Regards,
    Senta

Originally posted by Robbie@Apr 2 2006, 06:03 PM
    Have you seen the footage or just read about it?

[snapback]30030[/snapback]

Alas only read about it.

• Duke and Howard Hawks felt that High Noon was Un-American because the town people refused to help the sheriff. The Screenwriter (who was blacklisted) made no secret that he saw it as an allegory for Americans not speaking out about the "persecution" of American Communist. Coop him self, of course, was as good a Republican as Duke was, and no doubt saw the movie's message differently.
    This is why in Rio Brave everyone wants to help, this in Duke & the Director's view was the REAL America. The actions of American People in the aftermath of September 11 bore them out.

• I doubt whether the 2 Disc Searchers release will include any deleted scenes according to the news on DVD Times:

Disc 1:
    Newly remastered and restored from original VistaVision film elements
    Introduction by Patrick Wayne (John’s son)
    Commentary by Director Peter Bogdanovich (The Last Picture Show, What’s Up, Doc?)
    Theatrical trailer

Disc 2:
    The Searchers: An Appreciation
    A Turning of the Earth: John Ford, John Wayne and The Searchers
    Behind the Cameras:
    Meet Jeffrey Hunter
    Monument Valley
    Meet Natalie Wood
    Setting Up Production

The Searchers: Ultimate Collector’s Edition which includes a Two-Disc Special Edition DVD with extensive all-new bonus features, plus a full color 36-page press book, a 36-page reproduction of the original Dell comic book, filmmaker memos and correspondence, several behind-the-scenes photos and a mail-in theatrical poster.

For the complete news about all DVD's in this collection see:
    http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60701

• I find the subject of deleted scenes in Dukes movies to be fascinating. I was hoping that some here would have some information on the subject and I also realise that the upcoming edition of the searchers will not have any such material on it.

Here are two pictures from the Searchers that must have been from deleted scenes, I hope a few more of you will join in on this conversation as its one of my faovourite topics.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...6lr%3D%26sa%3DN

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...6lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Regards
    Robbie

• In relation to John Waynes movies, how many of them have a directors cut. We all know about the Alamo but are there other movies of his that have a directors cut version in existance and if so what extra scenes does the directors cut version contain?

Robbie

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Robbie,

We know about
    The Alamo,

from our discussions in that topic.

Red River,
    was also re-released as a Directors Cut,
    127mins, which only appears to be 2 minutes longer,
    than the documented time.
    So, what was added to that?

Robbie, if you don't object and it's OK with you,
    I've now placed your post, under Movie Discussions,
    which, indeed, is what it's all about.
    It now has the advantage of remaining prominent,
    and not get bumped down, as it will,
    over in General Discussions, OK?

Robbie, I remembered your 'Missing Footage' thread,
    so I've searched it out, and bumped it to the top
    of the Forum too.
    It's good to see your name in there.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• With the exception of the success of the Alamo, has anything been achieved in relation to deleted scenes.

One very small snippet that I discovered was about 5 seconds of deleted scenes from the Searchers on the trailer for the movie, does anyone know of anything else?

Robbie

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi all,
    I posted this in the True Grit thread, but Keith ask me to post here to. It is a qoute from my friends message about his memories of seeing True Grit as a child and about missinc scene.

I can still remember being nine years old and my parents taking us to the theater to see this movie. One scene I remember vividly from that first experience has been cut out of the movie. It's a little a grim, but remember when Duke is rushing the snake-bitten Mattie to the doctor? They mount Mattie's small horse and Duke drives the horse hard. In the original cut of the movie, as the horse begins to tire, Rooster takes a knife and slices a cut into the horse's flank, and then takes chewing tobacco from his mouth and rubs into the wound in an effort to spur on the poor horse more. As I saw the movie in later years, that scene was never shown, not even when released onto video tape.

I never saw it myself neither on DVD, no on VHS.

Regards,
    Senta :rolleyes:

• Hi Robbie,

I thinks that's what happened too!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England