Hello From Toronto

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,929 times. The latest Post () was by markgpl.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Good evening everybody:

Firstly, I would like to say how much I've enjoyed reading many of the posts since stumbling across this website earlier today.

I'm a 55 year old man who, in common with everybody else here, is and has been a huge fan of John Wayne and his films for as long as I can remember.

I've always had a love affair with the geography, culture and the history of the Amercan West of the late 19th century. For me, the West represented a "place" where a man could start anew and was judged not by his lineage or his family name, but by his actions and his deeds. The American West is such a vast area that one can't help but feel the presence of a "higher being" at work.

So it was inevitable that I would be drawn to western books / writers (i.e. Louis L'Amour) and films.

And how could you love western genre films and not love JW and his films in particular??

For me, John was a microcosm of the west - a "bigger than life" character who lived life on his terms. In a time when most people are afraid to express an opinion for fear of being labelled politically incorrect, John Wayne was a refreshing breath of "fresh air" who wasn't afraid to express an opinion that may not have been universally liked / respected. And whether you agreed with him or not, you had to admire and respect him for his honesty and his integrity.

So it's a real pleasure for me to find this site and be amongst alot of other people like myself who really liked John Wayne and his films..

• Hi markgpl,

Let me be the first to say howdy, and welcome to the original John Wayne Message Board!! That was a great post, hope to see & read more from you in the future.

Kevin

• Hello Markgpl There is a lot of good reading to be had and I'm sure you will enjoy your time here. Members live all over the globe and its good to hear a voice from Eastern Canada join the group. Murray

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hello Markgpl. Welcome to the forum. A great opening post! I look foward to reading many more from you. Jump right in and have some fun!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Welcome, markgpl, to the best thing (the JWMB) next to sliced bread. Our friendly band of John Wayne fans are a likable group and don't bite, so come by often and join in.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• markgpl,

What more can we say? You have received a marvelous welcome so far, and we'd like to add our greetings as well. We hope you will be joining us often, and we look forward to hearing from you again (and again and again and . . . ).

Again, WELCOME to the Original John Wayne Message Board (and in our opinion, the best)!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• A sincere thanks to everybody who took a moment to welcome me - it's much appreciated.

And from what I've read over the last few days, it's not only a very warm and friendly group of people who "inhabit" this site, but a very knowledgeable group as well. I'm really amazed at the depth of knowledge that so many have re John Wayne's movies.

I thought I had an indepth knowledge about JW's movies, but I'm not even in the same league as some of the posters here.

This is a great site and I'm really pleased that I stumbled across it.

• Hello markgpl; Greetings from another "Wayner" and fellow Canadian.This is a good place to come and spend some idle time although you have to be careful, it is addictive and work sometimes suffers.I too thought I had a vast knowledge of "Wayne" trivia and whatnot but I found out I was a mere mortal among Gods here.Not that that is a bad thing.If you make a mistake here you will be gently corrected by a very enthusiastic bunch."We" always like to hear from new members that can bring a new light to our favorite actor and a good natured debate keeps the posts a coming.Every one is friendly and unlike some websites you won't get your ears chewed off if some one disagrees with your point of view.Warm up your keyboard and let er rip.You will only enjoy yourself...SaddleTramp...

• Hello markgpl; Greetings from another "Wayner" and fellow Canadian.This is a good place to come and spend some idle time although you have to be careful, it is addictive and work sometimes suffers.I too thought I had a vast knowledge of "Wayne" trivia and whatnot but I found out I was a mere mortal among Gods here.Not that that is a bad thing.If you make a mistake here you will be gently corrected by a very enthusiastic bunch."We" always like to hear from new members that can bring a new light to our favorite actor and a good natured debate keeps the posts a coming.Every one is friendly and unlike some websites you won't get your ears chewed off if some one disagrees with your point of view.Warm up your keyboard and let er rip.You will only enjoy yourself...SaddleTramp...

Thanks for the thoughful response, Saddle Tramp - much appreciated.

Definitely a good group of people here - I suspect that it has alot to do with the fact that the average age of posters here is probably "alittle" bit older than teenagers (who inhabit so many other websites) and we've all learned that politeness, good manners and just being considerate of the feelings of others can open alot of doors in life.

But I'm enjoying myself so far and plan on sticking around. I'll tell you what really amazes me is the diversity of countries that the posters here represent. My God, I think the only place I haven't seen a post from so far is Anarctica..:teeth_smile: