Hello from Kyoto

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,596 times. The latest Post () was by Stuart4th.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Howdy,

Just a quick hello from a longtime fan.

Basically, I've been watching Wayne's most famous films - The Searchers, Rio Bravo, etc. - for many years, but recently have been enjoying and discovering many of his more obscure pictures, such as the six Warner B-Westerns released to DVD by Warner Bros., and some of the long-withheld Wayne-Fellows pictures.

I'm interested in movies of all kinds. Over the last five or six years I've become a huge Hopalong Cassidy fan, again thanks largely to all those DVD releases.

Here are some personal favorites among Westerns. A pretty conventional list, actually, in no particular order:

The Searchers
    Ride the High Country
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    The Wild Bunch
    Bronco Billy
    Unforgiven
    High Noon
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    How the West Was Won
    The Ballad of Cable Hogue
    Red River
    Winchester '73
    Little Big Man
    Three Men from Texas
    Man of the West
    Way Out West

Anyone interested can read more about me here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/bio.php?ID=68&reviewID=33120

(I write DVD reviews for this site and, incidentally, just posted one for The Big Trail.)

• great to have you aboard, would love to hear more about connections between films and society in Japan. I own 10 of the movies on your list and that makes me curious about the others. Hope to hear more from you as time permits. Murray

Greetings from North of the 49th

• would love to hear more about connections between films and society in Japan

Happy to be of help if I can -- what kinds of things would you like to know?

• Hello Stuart4th
    Perhaps ,I'm the only Japanese member in this JWMB.
    I'm surprised because a new comer appeared from Kyoto.
    Anyway,Hope to see you around here often.
    i'm working as a advertising agency in Tokyo, ofcourse love Duke.
    How many years have you been in Kyoto?

H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Stuart4th,

WELCOME to the Original John Wayne Message Board, the best of it's kind this side of dot com!!!

To the best of my knowledge, you are our second member from Japan (H.sanada has introduced himself already). We are truly an international community here, with members from all around the world.

We look forward to getting to know you better in the days and weeks to come - don't be a stranger!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Hello Stuart4th Your link refers to monstor movies and other reviews you have done. I would be glad of any insights into why some film genres are more popular then others. Is there a a lot of difference based on age? As an aside on my paternal side we are 7 generations in Canada from Scotland and up to and including my grand parents generation we only married someone if they were from one of 4 other clans. Those were Hood Alexander Morrison and Galbraith.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Welcome, Stuart4th, to our little band (getting to be a larger band of late) of JW fans. Looks like we're starting a good contingient from Japan. Come often and enjoy!
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Thanks, everyone.

To answer a few questions: How many years have you been in Kyoto?

I've been here since 2003, though I had been coming for trips up to three months going back to 1994.

I would be glad of any insights into why some film genres are more popular then others. Is there a a lot of difference based on age?

That's a tough one to try and answer. Westerns, certainly, appeal to an older audience these days because as a viable movie genre it's been pretty dead since the mid-'70s and the ready-made audience that regularly went to those movies is now 30 years older.

Obviously, besides adult Westerns you had Roy Rogers and other B-stars that appealed primarily (but passionately) to kids, many of whom still love Roy even though they're now in their 50s and 60s.

As I said, I became a big Hopalong Cassidy fan about six or seven years ago when I was in my late-30s, via all those DVDs, but I think that's extremely unusual. Younger generations are certainly still regularly discovering films by Peckinpah, Sergio Leone, and Eastwood, and probably to a lesser but still significant exent the more classical Westerns of Ford and Hawks.

However, I think the under-35 crowd has little use for B-Westerns and serials. When I reviewed For a Few Dollars More over at DVD Talk it got something like 5,000 hits its first week. My B-Western reviews rarely get more than a few hundred. Obviously somebody is buying all those Gene Autry releases from Image Entertainment, etc., but it's not the same crowd snapping up the latest Spiderman movie.

On one hand I think cable TV and home video have done a lot to revive interest in old movies, including A-Westerns. Criterion-style special editions and theatrical restorations of things like Major Dundee also have helped pull in a younger audience that might otherwise not have seeked these films out.

On the other hand, perhaps partly because so many B-Westerns have fallen into public domain and are no longer available in good condition, the only audience for those films seems to be an aging breed of die-hard B-Western fans, of which maybe I'm at the tail end. I'd like to think that maybe Bob Steele and the rest will suddenly become "hip" to younger generations, but I don't see that happening.