Bonanza (1959-1973)

There are 87 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 83,952 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• BONANZA

NBC TELEVISION

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary

The Cartwright's thousand-square-mile Ponderosa Ranch is located near Virginia City, Nevada, site of the Comstock Silver Lode, during and after the Civil War. Each of the sons was born to a different wife of Ben's; none of the mothers is still alive. Adventures are typical western ones, with lots of personal relationships/problems thrown in as well.
    Written by Ed Stephan

Series Cast
    Lorne Greene ... Ben Cartwright / ... (407 episodes, 1959-1973)
    Michael Landon ... Joseph 'Little Joe' Cartwright / ... (391 episodes, 1959-1973)
    Dan Blocker ... Eric 'Hoss' Cartwright / ... (385 episodes, 1959-1972)
    Pernell Roberts ... Adam Cartwright (172 episodes, 1959-1965)
    Bill Clark ... Townsman / ... (109 episodes, 1959-1973)
    Victor Sen Yung ... Hop Sing (96 episodes, 1959-1973)
    Victor Sen Yung ... Hop Sing (96 episodes, 1959-1973)
    Ray Teal ... Sheriff Roy Coffee (95 episodes, 1960-1972)
    David Canary ... 'Candy' Canaday (84 episodes, 1967-1973)
    Bob Miles ... Townsman / ... (72 episodes, 1959-1968)
    Martha Manor ... Blonde Saloon Girl / ... (69 episodes, 1960-1970)
    Betty Endicott ... Brunette Saloon Girl / ... (66 episodes, 1960-1969)
    Bing Russell ... Deputy Clem Foster / ... (56 episodes, 1961-1972)
    Mitch Vogel ... Jamie Hunter Cartwright / ... (45 episodes, 1968-1973)
    Cosmo Sardo ... Bartender / ... (36 episodes, 1960-1968)
    Grandon Rhodes ... Doctor / ... (27 episodes, 1960-1967)
    Troy Melton ... Gunman / ... (21 episodes, 1959-1972)
    Hal Burton ... Townsman / ... (21 episodes, 1966-1973)

and many more, notably,

Denver Pyle, John Mitchum, Ed Prentiss, Victor French, Strother Martin
    DeForest Kelley, Roy Barcroft, Harry Carey Jr.Karl Swenson,
    Slim Pickens, Leo Gordon, James Coburn, Jack Elam, Edward Faulkner,
    Ben Johnson, Eric Fleming, Bruce Dern, Buddy Ebsen, Barry Sullivan
    Dan Duryea, Edgar Buchanan, Vic Morrow, Hank Worden,Henry Hull
    John Carradine, Leif Erickson, Vera Miles, Steve Forrest,Stacy Keach Sr.
    and David Huddleston

Directors
    Included 2 Directors of Duke,
    Joseph Kane
    Arthur Lubin

Creators:
    David Dortort
    Fred Hamilton

Trivia

* In the show's early episodes, the writers would typically have the Cartwrights being hostile to visitors to their property. Lorne Greene objected to this pointing out that with the Ponderosa being as large as it is, the Cartwrights would be an important business interest in the community. Thus visitors would naturally come for economic and political reasons as well as social ones and the Cartwrights would logically welcome them as such. The producers agreed and altered the premise of the characters accordingly.

* During the first season of the show, the guest stars were paid far more than the stars of the show because the producers didn't think that the stars were well-known enough to pull in viewers.

* When Dan Blocker died unexpectedly shortly before filming began for the final season, it was decided to have Hoss die too by having him killed in an accident. The opening episode, a two-hour special in which Little Joe marries only to see his bride die, was originally scripted to feature Hoss.

* When Pernell Roberts left the show, his character Adam was written off by having him move to Australia.

* Adam's mother was from Boston, Hoss's from Sweden and Little Joe's was from New Orleans.

* The character 'Ben Cartwright' was ranked #2 in TV Guide's list of the "50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time" (20 June 2004 issue).

* Ben was a major in the United States Army.

* Although it got off to a rough start, by 1961 it was the #1 show on TV.

* Most viewers have only heard the famous theme song by Jay Livingston and Ray Evans played as an instrumental. The theme song actually had lyrics and there is footage of the lead actors singing those lyrics.

* According to the 1973 book "Marilyn Beck's Hollywood", when Pernell Roberts told Lorne Greene he was leaving the series because he wanted to challenge himself as an actor, Greene told him to stick to it as he would be so rich by the end of the run he could hire Tennessee Williams himself to write a play for him. Roberts' career went into a tailspin that lasted over a decade after he left the show. Co-star Michael Landon later said of Roberts' departure that they simply took a leaf out of the dining room table and split the money three rather than four ways. While the post "Bonanza" Roberts struggled (until later catching on with "Trapper John, M.D." (1979), Greene, Landon and Dan Blocker became very wealthy from their income from the show, which all three wisely invested.

* The character Ben Cartwright is a New Englander who had been a seaman. Before setting out West with his young son Adam, the widower Ben had been a ship's chandler, running a shop supplying gear to merchant vessels. (This past is referred to in several episodes, but most significantly, "Elizabeth, My Love" broadcast during the second season on May 27, 1961, when an older Ben is remembering Adam's late mother, his first wife.)

* This was the first US television show to have all its episodes filmed in color.

* Lorne Greene, Dan Blocker and Michael Landon sang a lyric version of this famous instrumental theme for the pilot, but it never aired.

* During the filming of one episode, Lorne Greene was required to jump off a small ledge into a lake five feet below. Michael Landon later recalled that when Greene did the stunt, he jumped into the water feet first and went completely under, but his hair piece came off and floated on the surface of the lake. Landon and the rest of the crew watched to see what would happen. After a short while, Greene's hand shot up out of the water, grabbed the hairpiece, and pulled it down. Greene emerged from the lake, wearing his hairpiece slightly askew. He walked nonchalantly past the snickering crew, and went into his trailer without saying a word.

Filming Locations
    Warner Brothers Burbank Studios - 4000 Warner Boulevard, Burbank, California, USA
    (1970-1973) (studio)
    Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, California, USA
    Anchor Ranch, Lone Pine, California, USA
    Baldwin Dry Lake, San Bernardino National Forest, California, USA
    Bell Ranch, Santa Susana, California, USA
    Big Bear Lake, California, USA
    Big Sky Ranch - 4927 Bennett Road, Simi Valley, California, USA
    Bourne's Meadow, Lake Tahoe, California, USA
    Bowers Mansion Park - 4005 U.S. Highway 395 N., Carson City, Nevada, USA
    Bronson Canyon, Griffith Park - 4730 Crystal Springs Drive, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Browne's Meadow, California, USA
    Cedar Lake, Big Bear Valley, San Bernardino National Forest, California, USA
    Chávez Ravine, Elysian Park, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Clark Fork River, Stanislaus National Forest, California, USA
    Clark's Summit, San Bernardino National Forest, California, USA
    Clark's Summit, Stanislaus National Forest, California, USA
    Coronado National Forest, Arizona, USA
    Corriganville, Ray Corrigan Ranch, Simi Valley, California, USA
    Davis Creek Park, Carson City, Nevada, USA
    Death Valley National Park, California, USA
    Desilu Studios - 9336 W. Washington Blvd., Culver City, California, USA
    Diamond Peak, Lake Tahoe, California, USA
    Donnell's Lake, Stanislaus National Forest, California, USA
    Donnell's Vista, Stanislaus National Forest, California, USA
    Eureka Valley, Death Valley National Park, California, USA
    Franklin Canyon Reservoir, Santa Monica Mountains, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Glenbrook Valley, Nevada, USA
    Golden Oak Ranch - 19802 Placerita Canyon Road, Newhall, California, USA
    Gooseneck Meadow, Martis Valley, Lake Tahoe, California, USA
    Grandview Point, San Bernardino National Forest, California, USA
    Holcomb Valley, California, USA
    Iverson Ranch, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Janss Conejo Ranch, Thousand Oaks, California, USA
    Kern River, California, USA
    Lake Los Angeles, California, USA
    Lake Sherwood, Thousand Oaks, California, USA
    Lake Valley, Lake Tahoe, California, USA
    Los Padres National Forest, Goleta, California, USA
    Lucky Baldwin Mine, San Bernardino National Forest, California, USA
    Mescal, Arizona, USA
    Mount Rose Summit, Lake Tahoe, California, USA
    Nevada Beach, Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA
    Old Tucson - 201 S. Kinney Road, Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Paramount Studios - 5555 Melrose Avenue, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
    (1959-1970) (studio)
    Ponderosa Ranch - 100 Ponderosa Ranch Road, Incline Village, Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA
    Ponderosa Wagon Camp, Incline Village, Lake Tahoe, California, USA
    Red Hills Ranch, Sonora, California, USA
    Red Rock Canyon State Park - Highway 14, Cantil, California, USA
    Rose Knob Peak, Lake Tahoe, California, USA
    Round Hill Pines Beach, Lake Tahoe, California, USA
    Saddleback Butte State Park, California, USA
    Sand Harbor, Lake Tahoe, California, USA
    Shay Ranch, Big Bear Valley, San Bernardino National Forest, California, USA
    Sonora Pass, California, USA
    Sonora, California, USA
    Spahn Ranch, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Spooner Lake, Lake Tahoe-Nevada State Park, Incline Village, Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA
    Spooner Meadow, Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA
    Tahoe Meadows, Lake Tahoe, California, USA
    Truckee River, California, USA
    Truckee, California, USA
    Vasquez Rocks Natural Area Park - 10700 W. Escondido Canyon Rd., Agua Dulce, California, USA
    Zephyr Cove, Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 18 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Bonanza is a western television series that was produced
    by and ran on the NBC network from September 12, 1959 to January 16, 1973.
    Lasting 14 seasons and 430 episodes, it ranks as the second longest running western series
    (behind Gunsmoke) and still continues to air in syndication.
    The show centers around the Cartwright family, who live in the area near Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
    The show stars Lorne Greene, Pernell Roberts, Dan Blocker, Michael Landon, and David Canary.
    The show's title "Bonanza" is a term used by miners in regard to a large vein or deposit of ore,
    and commonly refers to The Comstock Lode.
    In 2002, Bonanza was ranked No. 43 on TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time.

A great childhood favourite of mine, and what great title music.
    The characters, almost seemed part of the family.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Who was your favorite character, Keith?

I'm torn between Hoss and Little Joe. Guess I'll go with Hoss but LJ is close behind. :teeth_smile:

I was also a big fan of Michael Landon's "Little House on the Prairie".

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hoss was my guy, but they all had appeal. Interesting that the writers never added another wife for Ben.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• I must admit Jim,
    I liked Ben, he came across,
    as the type of father, any kid would want.
    I guess, as Murray said, he should have found another woman,
    and gave those boys, another Mom in their lives,
    AHHH!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• When I was younger, three things in life were guaranteed: death, taxes and the fact that I'd be sitting in front of a television at 9:00 on Sunday evening looking forward to another great story about the Cartwright clan.

Great shows week in and week out - sometimes it was a drama - another time it was funny but always quality writing.

I've spent alot of time in the area that the fictional Ponderosa Ranch sits on and I have to say that Ben Cartwright couldn't have picked a more beautiful place for a ranch.

When are they going to release this classic television show on DVD..??

• Bonanza was my favorite western show growing up, with Big Valley a close second. Little Joe was my favorite Cartright. After Parnell left, wasn't a cousin or friend added to the cast? I think his name was Candy. Been a good while since I have seen this show.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Bonanza was my favorite western show growing up, with Big Valley a close second. Little Joe was my favorite Cartright. After Parnell left, wasn't a cousin or friend added to the cast? I think his name was Candy. Been a good while since I have seen this show.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I think this was your man,

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Mark,

I think this was your man,

Hi Keith:

Small correction - that's not David Canary in the above pic with Ben, Little Joe and Hoss.
    That's a character named Jamie Hunter Cartwright (Mitch Vogel) who appeared on the series from 1968-1973.

Candy was a ranch hand - here is is pictured with Lorne Greene.

Mark

• Thanks Mark,

I knew it was Candy, but it's been such a long time,
    I couldn't remember what he looked like!
    Thanks for pointing him out and posting his picture!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Yup, it's been a long time for me too. If you look at the two men, they kinda look a little alike, minus the red hair, that is. :wink_smile:

Thanks for clearing that up, Mark.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• One of the best tv westerns of all time. I couldn't hardly wait for the next weeks program to come on. The relationship between Ben and his son's was one of the things that drew me to the show.I always felt so sorry for any female who fell in love with one of them because before the hour was up they were generally killed off.:shades_smile:

• I could see a few episodes of Bonanza in Austrian Television as a child, and I liked it that much, that I started reading Bonanza books and comics. Therer are also some LPs with the actors making good country music! I have them all at home.

In Germany they are now releasing the whole Bonanza series (14 Seasons) on DVD! I have bought Season 1-7, that are available at the moment, and I still like it. I have not seen most of the episodes before.

- And my favourite characters on the show are Ben and Hoss...

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• For all you soap opera fans, David Canary can be found on All My Children playing a dual role of twin brothers, one mentally challenged, the other normal. Been on for quite a few years now.

• While it does not seem that Bonanza is yet available "by the season" here in the States, you can definitely obtain numerous episodes on DVD (we searched "bonanza" on both Deep Discount and Amazon, and came up with a fair amount of reasonably priced options).

In another thread (about the impressive list of guest stars on Bonanza during its run), Stumpy had a great link to a site that lists every episode of Bonanza, along with the plot, guest stars, etc. A must-see for the die-hard fan!

Chester :newyear:

• In another thread (about the impressive list of guest stars on Bonanza during its run), Stumpy had a great link to a site that lists every episode of Bonanza, along with the plot, guest stars, etc. A must-see for the die-hard fan!

Chester :newyear:

Jim, thanks for posting this,
    on the other Classic TV Westerns , I have listed the more notable,
    support actors, but for some reason, I didn't for this one.
    You're right, there are a multitude of them for this series,
    and I have now edited my inititial post, to include
    the more notable one's, that us Duke fans might recognize.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Whow, the boys from the Ponderosa are going to celebrate their 50th Anniversary this year in September! - Lorne Greene, Dan Blocker and Michael Landon left this world many years ago, but they are still great TV-legends. Pernell Roberts, who played Adam Cartwright, is the only one who is still alive! He celebrated his 80th birthday last year.

Bonanza ran over 14 seasons and is still a great hit in so many countries. It was not the first TV-Western series and not the one, that had the most seasons, but for me it still is the greatest TV-Westernshow of all times!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."