Bonanza (1959-1973)

There are 87 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 83,941 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Always thought Bonanza was a great show but, to me the best part about it was the vivid color it was presented in. Even after all these years of constant showing, the colors in it are still just as rich as ever and makes it look like it was just filmed yesterday. Back when color tv's were just coming on, we'd always like going over to my uncles house. He worked for RCA and always had color tv's from the very start. Be there on a Sunday night and get to see Disneys Wonderful World Of Color, followed by Bonanza. What a treat.

• I agree completely. Bonazas color seemed completely natural. Some shows when put to color never were the same.

• I've been watching the series "Little House on the Prairie" starring Mike Landon, who also had a very prominent role in "Bonanza" as Little Joe.

A few days ago there was an episode of "Little House" entitled "The Legacy", which portrays Mike worrying about his legacy. All the time I'm watching this episode, I'm thinking to myself "Mike, you left us one heck of a legacy in the form of outstanding television". (Not only did he star in "Little House" as Charles Ingalls, he was also executive producer, writer and director of many of the episodes.)

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Don't forget Stumpy, Mike Landon also created, produced and starred in Highway To Heaven. Thought that was a pretty good show in itself. He also wrote and directed the tv movie, The Lonliest Runner, starring Lance Kerwin who played a teenager who was a bedwetter and whose mother constantly embarrassed him by hanging his bedsheets outisde his bedroom window. It was supposed to be based loosely on Landons life.

• Don't forget Stumpy, Mike Landon also created, produced and starred in Highway To Heaven. Thought that was a pretty good show in itself. He also wrote and directed the tv movie, The Lonliest Runner, starring Lance Kerwin who played a teenager who was a bedwetter and whose mother constantly embarrassed him by hanging his bedsheets outisde his bedroom window. It was supposed to be based loosely on Landons life.

I was familiar with "Highway to Heaven", Jim, and even watched it a few times during its' run. But for some reason, I just couldn't get into that Mike Landon show.

Like another of my favorites (Steve McQueen), I think Mike died way too young.

Always thought Bonanza was a great show but, to me the best part about it was the vivid color it was presented in. Even after all these years of constant showing, the colors in it are still just as rich as ever and makes it look like it was just filmed yesterday.

Yes, I enjoy the color too! Here in Europe they released Season 1-7 of Bonanza on DVD and the picture and the color is real great!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• Here in Europe they released Season 1-7 of Bonanza on DVD

I'm green with envy. Here in Region 1 all they've released are a few episodes here and there. No complete seasons so far. This in the country that originated the show.

• I don't know if it was at the end of an actual episode or if it was filmed for it, then scrapped. But there is footage of Greene, Roberts, Blocker and, Landon singing the Bonanza theme song as they're leaving town, complete with loud whoops and yells of BONANZA!. I seen it on some blooper show years ago. If they used after an episode in the first year, it was only the one time. It didn't go over well and it was never done again.

• The first episode I watched was one with Ben Johnson - always a favorite of mine - and when the title music came on, I jumped up and down and shouted at my cats, "I KNOW this song!" and proceeded to hum along. Now I find myself singing it to myself constantly. :D

• [extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kA-PdP4k4Xw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kA-PdP4k4Xw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/extendedmedia]

Keith,

I guess Jim saw the Bonanza clips awhile ago, when you first posted them, but somehow I missed them. I REALLY enjoyed the one with Lorne Greene singing the song. His voice is slightly reminiscent of Howard Keel's. And who ever knew there were lyrics to that song??

Thanks!

Sue (aka Mrs. C :angel1:

• Cash´s version is great, but I prefer Lorne Greene´s! - Bear Family Records in Germany has released a CD with various versions of the Bonanza Theme Song and some more "Cartwright-stuff". Great fun to listen to it!

And there is a 4-CD set too by Bear Family Records with songs done by Lorne Greene, Pernell Roberts, Michael Landon and Dan Blocker (what "Hoss" is doing You can´t real call singing...). I think this set is a "must" for all Bonanza-fans!

But I am very sad, because after season 7 they have cancelled the production of Bonanza on DVD here in Germany...

• I watched recently some episodes of season 1 (the German Release :wink:) and from the season 3. I found them to a low price in a shop next door. :teeth_smile:. On Amazon.de the prices for this DVD Boxes are just too expensive. I forgot how good this show is. Quite interesting in the first season the Cartwrights aren't very friendly to people who enter their territory. Also there is a lot of violence and less humour as we see in later seasons. Anyhow Great Show but with the death of Dan Blocker (Hoss) the series ended for me. :holiday_irish:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• Great show! I wish they would release the seasons on DVD. I own several DVD's, each with a couple of episodes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

• If they release Season 8-14 in the USA, I will buy them! My DVD-player is now RC-free and I can watch american RC-1 DVDs!

• Bonanza is 50 years old!!!
    The first episode "A Rose for Lotta" was on air on Sept. 12th, 1959. It started a TV-legend, that ran over 14 Seasons and is still a big hit all over the world.

Happy Birthday to the Cartwrights! May their adventures live on for another 50 years...