Bonanza (1959-1973)

There are 87 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 84,584 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• My Family and I were lucky to have spent some time with the Boys at The Ranch House between Filming and it was a Time We Will Never Forget !!!
    :hyper:
    It is Now Closed to The Public, but below are some Pictures of the Ponderosa Ranch House and The Main Three Ponderosa Boys.
    All the Extra Trees and Vines are added for the Filming !
    :teeth_smile:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• Great pictures! - I know, the Ponderosa is now closed, but they had opened it for public last weekend for the 50years Bonanza convention.

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• Watched recently the Episode The Crucible (season 3) with Lee Marvin. It's an interesting episode in which Marvin's Character is forcing Adam to work for him as a slave. Overall it was a good one but kind of weird. :smile:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

Edited once, last by JohnChisum ().

• Lee Marvin did a good job in this episode, but I did not real like it...

• Was Duke friendly with Blocker?

JohnWayneFan4Life, I moved you post here since Dan Blocker was more related to Bonanza than Little House.

To my knowledge, he got along with everyone on Bonanza. I didn't hear anything bad about the relationships he had with the cast. They all except for Purnell Roberts on his Tribute to America TV special. I don't anything about Duke and Purnell Roberts either.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Watched every episode from the first one on when it originally aired. Some great moments and memories. I'm from Rochester, NY and since Eastman Kodak was a sponsor, they took great pains with the color broadcasts which really popped back then. The few reruns I've seen seem faded.
    My only quibble is that if a Cartwright ever got serious about a woman, say to the point of proposing, she was dead meat by the end of the episode.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Watched every episode from the first one on when it originally aired. Some great moments and memories. I'm from Rochester, NY and since Eastman Kodak was a sponsor, they took great pains with the color broadcasts which really popped back then. The few reruns I've seen seem faded.
    My only quibble is that if a Cartwright ever got serious about a woman, say to the point of proposing, she was dead meat by the end of the episode.

We deal in lead, friend.

LOL, my wife has said the same thing many times, Gorch. Didn't matter if it was Ben or his boys, any romance for any of them, usually resulted in death for the girl.

• I thought the Cartwrights DID look like Bros. There were elements of each that seemed to carry to the others. As for Katie's boys, Duke Earl, and Michael arguably looked a bit alike-Dino was adopted I thought.

• Can you believe it, I was poking around the site at work and stumbled on this thread!

You would think I would have found it first!

Bonanza was and still is my favorite TV Western. I am Ben because Hoss was taking, I look more like hoss

Ben Cartwright SASS
    a good motto to live by
    "WWJWD"
    What would John Wayne Do"

• I occasionally watch Bonanza on TV Land, and really enjoy the show with the Adam years better. Just seem to be a whole family. Adam added meat to the show and it worked for the years he was there. It seemed to flow well and make things equal in the action and adventure. When Pernell Roberts left. I don't recall any show explaining as to why he left the Ponderosa. Or did I ever hear anything about Adam. Did the show and the cast just make like he never existed?

The show was alright but it wasn't the same, and the story line seem weaker. Did anyone feel the same as I did? Was there any explanation as to the exit of Adam Cartwright?

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I occasionally watch Bonanza on TV Land, and really enjoy the show with the Adam years better. Just seem to be a whole family. Adam added meat to the show and it worked for the years he was there. It seemed to flow well and make things equal in the action and adventure. When Pernell Roberts left. I don't recall any show explaining as to why he left the Ponderosa. Or did I ever hear anything about Adam. Did the show and the cast just make like he never existed?

The show was alright but it wasn't the same, and the story line seem weaker. Did anyone feel the same as I did? Was there any explanation as to the exit of Adam Cartwright?

Mike,
    Apparently, Pernell Roberts wanted to 'better' himself
    by leaving the show for more demanding roles.
    Green, and co. advised him not to leave ,
    as the show was becoming successful, and that he would make a fortune.
    The three other's did make a fortune and
    alas Adam failed in his subsequent career.
    Bad move heh!!

He was written off in the series,
    by him moving to Austraila!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Every once in awhile, there would be mention made of Adam traveling somewhere. Just to let everyone know that he still existed, I guess. And Keith, I wouldn't say Pernell Roberts carrrer had failed. He may have made a mistake for leaving Bonanza but, the rest of his carrer was pretty good. His Trapper John MD show had a pretty good run and was fairly popular here in the states. Plus, he did quite afew guest shots on other shows and I believe he did some successful stage work.

Bonanza was and still is my favorite TV Western. I am Ben because Hoss was taking, I look more like hoss

Funny picture! Reminds me of the time, as I was a child. I lived in Styria (Austria) and they had done two Jack London movies there. They had built Dawson City for these movies in the Styrian mountains and I went there with my mum and aunt to take some "real" cowboy pictures there...

Apparently, Pernell Roberts wanted to 'better' himself
    by leaving the show for more demanding roles.

Pernell Roberts passed away only a few weeks ago. Although he did not like to play Adam and he always spit on the stairs of the Ponderosa on the end of a day, he did a very great job, playing this Cartwright! He always will be remembered for this role by the fans, and I hope, he will not be too angry, when he looks down from Cowboy Heaven at them!

• This is one of my favorite tv shows of all time I grew up watchin bonaza with my dad hoss was my favorite but I always like Adam too

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life..." ~John Wayne~[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]