Bonanza (1959-1973)

There are 87 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 83,940 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I think everybody all around the world loves Bonanza! Many of us grew up with the show, even in Austria, where I was born. And Bonanza, aired every sunday evening was a TV-show for the whole family. You can´t find TV-shows like that today...

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• bonanza is one of my favourite western series.little joe and hoss were great together.i grew up watching repeat'es of the show.the show's maker david dortort made an even better western series in the high chaparral.

• David Dortort died on Sept. 5th at the age of 94 in his sleep. He was a man of great phantasy and inventor of TV-shows like Bonanza, High Chaparral, Restless Gun and The Chisolms. Exspecially for Bonanza, I think, he will be remembered forever!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• have just watched the first bonanza box set thats just been released - great programme and such an evocative tune

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• David Dortort died on Sept. 5th at the age of 94 in his sleep. He was a man of great phantasy and inventor of TV-shows like Bonanza, High Chaparral, Restless Gun and The Chisolms. Exspecially for Bonanza, I think, he will be remembered forever!

As posted here on September 5th.
    http://www.dukewayne.com/showpost.php?p=95926&postcount=642

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Boyd Magers does "Western Clippings" which can be looked up on the Internet and he had a piece a while back about Lorne Greene home which has been bought and restored. I also found this during a search so it is being opened to the public and is located in Meza AZ. Bonanza fans can visit Lorne Greene's Ponderosa. This event will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the house warming party where in 1963 Lorne and Nancy Greene hosted fellow Bonanza actors Michael Landon and wife Lynn, Dan Blocker and wife Dolphia and Bonanza creator David Dortort to the real house based on the Ponderosa set at Paramount Pictures.

• I was about 12 when Dan Blocker died. It seemed to me like I had known him forever, and he was my real friend. I cried all day as I had in 1960 when I was 10 and Ward Bond died. I just always thought of them as a part of our family. Michael wrote a two part show, apparently for Hoss to be married and his wife killed violently still carrying their unborn child. Turned out Michael had to make it for himself. The grief shown by him and Lorne Greene was real, but it wasn't for the fictional wife.......it was for Dan. KPKEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• I looked around for a thread on Bonanza (maybe there's a John Wayne connection) but couldn't find one. So I'll post here. :)

Encore Westerns has started running the later seasons of Bonanza, which haven't been aired on television since 2004. They're calling them "The Lost Episodes." Here's an article with more information about this:

http://www.examiner.com/articl…home-on-encore-westerns-1

Ben Johnson's fans will definitely want to watch an episode entitled "Top Hand," which will air on December 11 at 7:05 p.m. EST. This is Ben's third (and final) Bonanza episode -- at least during the regular run of the series. He made two Bonanza TV-movies in the 1990s.

"Top Hand" is Ben's best Bonanza episode and one of his best TV guest roles/performances. He plays a trail boss named Kelly with a troubled past who is supported by Ben Cartwright but distrusted by some of the other cattlemen. Furthermore, a younger, ambitious cowboy played by Roger Davis is doing everything he can to take over Kelly's job. Ben is just terrific, and furthermore, the episode has a big action sequence where he gets to show off his superb riding, roping and stunt skills.

I made a few screencaps from the old Hallmark broadcast... wish this was out on DVD but they have quite a few seasons to go yet. (Bonanza season 5 will be released in February.) So now's your chance to see this not-really-lost-but-not-seen-in-8-years episode. Ben's next role after this Bonanza "Top Hand" episode was Sam the Lion in The Last Picture Show. ;)

• Watched TOP HAND on Bonanza on YOUTUBE. Chose the one with the best color. Was too blurry to watch full screen but was OK at the Medium. Old Ben was good. Just like Pappy, I LOVE to see him ride. It was too short though..........would like to have seen more of him....should've been a two parter! Thanks for the heads up, Paula KEITH

• Speaking of Bonanza, here is a picture of Ben Johnson with Dirk Blocker, Dan Blocker's son. Dirk was also an actor and played a newspaper reporter in the two Bonanza TV-movies Ben starred in, Bonanza: The Return (1993) and Bonanza: Under Attack (1995).

• Haven't see a picture of Dirk in quite a while. Dan's nephew Chris Blocker had some success on the PGA Golf Tour. Good pic of an older Ben, Paula.
    I cried when I heard that Dan had died. Couldn't imagine Bonanza without him....Bonanza couldn't either. KEITH

• Must be wiser than me then Bill. How much longer? Be PROUD of your age. Takes a whole lot to get there! LOL, KEITH

I got you by three.
    I don't know about being proud but more people hold the door for me.
    And about being wiser all I know I,ve had more years of acting stupid.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• LOL, Still haven't gotten used to being called "Maam"!
    Well, if you have read my posts, you know I have had the same years. I did so much all of my life that I never stuck with one long enough to earn a pension! But, I wouldn't change it for the world. I may be a Bag Lady one day, but if so, I will organize them all...yep, have a union, teach them to harvest their food by trapping and foraging vacant lots for wild edibles. Also, each will "adopt" a homeless pet to keep them from being euthanized....oh, I have BIG plans for when I become a bag lady....make a great book too, LOL!
    KEITH Too keep this proper......Everyone should watch Ben's episode, "Top Hand" on Bonanza.......it is a good one!

I got you by three.
    I don't know about being proud but more people hold the door for me.
    And about being wiser all I know I,ve had more years of acting stupid.

• That two part show, was the final nail in Bonanza's coffin. We visited the place they had at the North East side of Lake Tahoe the summer before he died. He was a real loss.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower