Bonanza (1959-1973)

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 83 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Cole Thornton.

• Re: Classic TV Westerns- Bonanza (1959-1973)

Hawkswill wrote:

LOL, Tenn., if he died in 1972, you are so right. I was born in 1950. KP and proud of my age, so don't worry!

Well Keith I,am a little longer in the tooth then you.
      ''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

Hawkswill wrote:

Must be wiser than me then Bill. How much longer? Be PROUD of your age. Takes a whole lot to get there! LOL, KEITH

I got you by three.
      I don't know about being proud but more people hold the door for me.
      And about being wiser all I know I,ve had more years of acting stupid.
      ''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

LOL, Still haven't gotten used to being called "Maam"!
      Well, if you have read my posts, you know I have had the same years. I did so much all of my life that I never stuck with one long enough to earn a pension! But, I wouldn't change it for the world. I may be a Bag Lady one day, but if so, I will organize them all...yep, have a union, teach them to harvest their food by trapping and foraging vacant lots for wild edibles. Also, each will "adopt" a homeless pet to keep them from being euthanized....oh, I have BIG plans for when I become a bag lady....make a great book too, LOL!
      KEITH Too keep this proper......Everyone should watch Ben's episode, "Top Hand" on Bonanza.......it is a good one!

BILL OF PA wrote:

I got you by three.
      I don't know about being proud but more people hold the door for me.
      And about being wiser all I know I,ve had more years of acting stupid.
      God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

That two part show, was the final nail in Bonanza's coffin. We visited the place they had at the North East side of Lake Tahoe the summer before he died. He was a real loss.
      "A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

"The three other's did make a fortune and alas Adam failed in his subsequent career."
      "Ethanedwards"
      He was in movies and had a TV show on for several years, I don't think he was a failure and he did what he wanted to do. I remember one of the other 3 saying in Parade mag. in approx. 1965 he was giving up $500,000 a year with the advertising and salary.
      "Adam added meat to the show and it worked for the years he was there."HondoDukeLane"
      I agree with this statement, he was a fine actor. He had a manner that was more like a great Actor then a run of the mill guy. He added some class for me and I thought the show was less without him.

I found the following two paragraphs at: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pernell_Roberts"

"Roberts, had had high hopes for what he could contribute to Bonanza, was disappointed with the direction of the show, the limitations imposed on his Bonanza character and on his acting range. In a newspaper interview he said, "I haven't grown at all since the series began...I have an impotent role. Wherever I turn there's the father image," (This Time Pernell Won't Need a Tuba, Washington Post, May 1, 1963, Lawrence Laurent).
      Finally, after disagreements with writers and producers over the quality of the scripts, characterization, and Bonanza's refusal to allow him to perform elsewhere while on contract, Roberts "turned his back on Hollywood wisdom and well-meant advice," and left, largely to return to legitimate theater (Washington Post, January 25, 2010; New York Daily News January 26, 2010, Mike Douglas Show, 1965, 1966), Henry Darrow Archival Interview; USA Today, January 25, 2010)."
      There is much more at wikipedia, but I believe this is the essence of why he left the show.
      "A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

The post was edited 1 time, last by colkid60: add to it. ().

Just watched the episode
      Bitter Water
      here

Westerns on the Web

It took me back years seeing those familiar characters.
      however some western stories are somewhat familiar,
      it was all about water rights, and poorly cattle!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • No comments on Bonanza for over four years?!? Yikes!

I've been waychng the first six seasons of Bonanza on DVD again and am amazed all over again at the variety the program offered. No wonder it was so beloved and the biggest git of the 1960s.

Bonanza could boast a wide variety of episodes. One week it was a social commentary episode like 12 Angry Men, the next week a "psychological" western a la a 3:10 to Yuma, a supernatural or spiritually-themed episode, an action shoot 'em up, or a slapstick comedy episode.

Regardless of any given week's plot, what I believe people loved anout the series is that the viewer could always depend on fine performances from the four (later three) leads and a chemistry among them that is rare in telelvision.
      "Day off?"
      "Off day."