Clint Eastwood

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 63 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kevin.

• Re: Western Screen Legends- Clint Eastwood

j.p.harrah wrote:

dont agree with you - Coogan's Bluff is no one of the very goods - but its still a classic and great entertainment - about Don Siegel : no film he directed is realy bad!!

Depends what we mean by "really bad" - something you would give zero or one point out of ten? (I've rarely seen anything that bad by anybody, actually). In that case I agree - all Siegel films I've seen earn a few at least. Even the most embarrasing to watch due to weak stories and incoherent direction, as Coogan's Bluff or Two Mules for Sister Sara, or just forgettable as Madigan, still have entertainment value. But they are far below the abilities of their makers.
      I don't believe in surrenders.

etsija wrote:

I'm not the least bit amused by the poo humour, or the ridiculously stupid gang members, or an ape just because it's an ape. I don't so much oppose Clint's part in these movies, he obviously has good chemistry with that ape ;) (Sadly, one of the ape actors died shortly after the filming). Oh, and I think Sondra Locke is a terrible actor; always dragging her along is one flaw in Clint's nearly infallible sense of what is entertaining.

M-43 caps? Ehrr... What's wrong is the too unbelievable story and Burton in his role. I think it can be entertaining only if one is enthusiastic about explosions. Clint's role is too small to salvage the movie.

Etsija, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the Eastwood films mentioned above ;-))

Some of what you mentioned about the "Ape" movies, is meant to be there as the Comedy relief parts to the movies. In fact, in Every Which Way But Loose-one actor in it that im sure you would also like-and who made many movies with Duke-is none other than Hank Warden. Hank plays the part of that aged gentleman who was the owner/operrator of the trailer park that everybody stops by asking for ""Lynn Halsey-Taylor.""

One thing I totally agree with you on is, that Sondra Locke IS a terrible actress. I never have liked her and also agree that it's a shame that Clint Eastwood tried to help her have her own carreer by giving her a role in several of his movies.

M-43 caps are also commonly known as "Ski Caps." These "ski caps" have a front bill to them as well as ear flaps that button together on the center-front of the cap. When you have cold weather, you unbotton the flaps and they are supposed to cover most of your exposed skin on your face-ears etc. The German, Hungarian, Norwegin and many other European Military;s used them predominantly in WWII and are still in useage in one style or the other ;-))
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Liam Neeson is my second and Clint would be my 3rd favorite actor.

I am not sure what movie it was when he is fighting the older big man and beating him; when he sees the man's 'friends' turn on the man he lets him win. Now that was similar to a Duke moment in a Clint movie. Duke understood pride and Clint in the movie saw the big guy only had is pride not really friends so he let him win one more time. One of my favorite scenes.

Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven, and Dirty Harry are my 3 favorite movies.

I agree Sondra Locke was a terrible actor, and not that pretty. Duke knew how to pick leading ladies out for movies. The one from Hatari for one.:wink:
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=2] ShortGrub
      [/SIZE]

Hi Shortgrub, the movie where Clint let the older bare-knuckle fighter win was in Every Which Way But Loose. I think the guy he was fighting was called: Tank Murdoch, or something like that.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..
    • Clint Eastwood western

Hi everyone,
      Some news worth reading .(from Reuters)
      " Most Americans watch their favourite shows on a TV set,
      and given a choice more would prefer to star in a Clint Eastwood western than a romantic comedy with George Clooney, according to an online poll.
      Nearly 70 percent of adults questioned in the 60 Minutes/Vanity Fair survey said they watch TV when the programmes run in their usual time slots but 20 percent admitted to using a DVR or TiVO."
      How about you Americans?

Taka
      Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
      ~Steve McQueen~

The post was edited 1 time, last by H.sanada ().

• Re: Clint Eastwood western

H.sanada wrote:

Hi everyone,
      and given a choice more would prefer to star in a Clint Eastwood western than a romantic comedy with George Clooney, according to an online poll.
      Nearly 70 percent of adults questioned in the 60 Minutes/Vanity Fair survey said they watch TV when the programmes run in their usual time slots but 20 percent admitted to using a DVR or TiVO."
      How about you Americans?

Taka

Well, Taka, I'll take Clint Eastwood over George Clooney any time.

As for television, I hardly ever watch it. When TV first appeared and became popular back in the 1940s and '50s, I had high hopes for it as a medium for education but over the years, it has degenerated into a method for indoctrinating people to certain viewpoints. Speaking for myself, I don't like to feel that I'm being indoctrinated as I'm perfectly capable of forming opinions on my own.

I also think there's entirely too much sex and dirty language in today's TV shows.
      De gustibus non est disputandum

H.sanada wrote:

Hi everyone,
      How about you Americans?

Taka

Taka,
      Where we live, if you don't subscribe to cable, you don't have anything to watch on TV except video tapes or DVD. We chose a number of years ago to discontinue cable service because we felt that what we were paying for was NOT worth it. Too much garbage, too little worthwhile content, and they wanted too much money for it.

That being said, our family is not entirely out of the loop concerning current TV shows. We have found that we are able to watch some things on the Internet, within a day or two of it showing on television. We will be watching the new season of 24 and Castle online, and have also watched such shows as Monk; our adult children have been watching The Office for a few years now, as well as shows such as House. Of course, we can't discuss the show the day after it originally airs because we will be behind a day or two, but that is the same as recording it to watch at our convenience. Also, there seem to be fewer commercials (we watch on Hulu, which has some ads). So . . . in answer to your question, we watch some of our favorite shows on the TV set, via DVDs and VHS tapes. We watch current "TV" show favorites on our computer.

As to the second question - Clint Eastwood hands down! While I've enjoyed George Clooney in the Ocean's movies and O Brother, Where Art Thou, we are too ideologically different for me to want to spend very much time with him. Anyway, I'd rather be in a Western than a romantic movie!

Chester :newyear:

I think that Eastwood the director of Gran Torino owes quite a debt to Duke and Don Siegel's The Shootist. Did anyone else note the similarities between the two?
      As for Siegel directing a bad movie, try sitting through Bette Midler in Jinxed. Even Sam Peckinpah's modest contributions are boring. Of course he had the excuse of being in an alcohol/cocaine tailspin.

We deal in lead, friend.

chester7777 wrote:

Taka,
      Where we live, if you don't subscribe to cable, you don't have anything to watch on TV except video tapes or DVD. We chose a number of years ago to discontinue cable service because we felt that what we were paying for was NOT worth it. Too much garbage, too little worthwhile content, and they wanted too much money for it.

That being said, our family is not entirely out of the loop concerning current TV shows. We have found that we are able to watch some things on the Internet, within a day or two of it showing on television. We will be watching the new season of 24 and Castle online, and have also watched such shows as Monk; our adult children have been watching The Office for a few years now, as well as shows such as House. Of course, we can't discuss the show the day after it originally airs because we will be behind a day or two, but that is the same as recording it to watch at our convenience. Also, there seem to be fewer commercials (we watch on Hulu, which has some ads). So . . . in answer to your question, we watch some of our favorite shows on the TV set, via DVDs and VHS tapes. We watch current "TV" show favorites on our computer.

As to the second question - Clint Eastwood hands down! While I've enjoyed George Clooney in the Ocean's movies and O Brother, Where Art Thou, we are too ideologically different for me to want to spend very much time with him. Anyway, I'd rather be in a Western than a romantic movie!

Chester,
      Also,Time that I see the TV has decreased.
      The recent TV program in Japan is like a vicious circle going on below.
      Worse the economy,companies reduce the cost of advertising.
      TV commercials which is the main sourse of income for TV stations decrease.
      As a result,production cost will be reduced on a TV show.
      So,Most of the Japanese TV show is worthless,IMO.
      I would rather be in a Western than a romantic movie. So am I.
      Taka
      Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
      ~Steve McQueen~

Gorch wrote:

I think that Eastwood the director of Gran Torino owes quite a debt to Duke and Don Siegel's The Shootist. Did anyone else note the similarities between the two?

Gorch,
      Yeah . . . we sure did! Check out the discussion here (and feel free to add your comments). :wink_smile:

Without a doubt! I'm sure Duke was hurt over the criticism his direction recieved in The Alamo & Green Berets. He had hoped to move into directing more as he got older, but it wasn't to be. I'd much rather have had his acting anyway, he was a joy to watch!