Have Gun - Will Travel (1957-1963)

There are 135 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 98,070 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• HAVE GUN- WILL TRAVEL

CBS TELEVISION

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    Professional gunfighter Paladin was a West Point graduate who, after the Civil War,
    settled into San Francisco's Hotel Carlton were he awaited responses to his business card:
    over the picture of a chess knight
    "Have Gun, Will Travel ... Wire Paladin, San Francisco."
    Written by Ed Stephan

Series Cast
    Richard Boone ... Paladin / ... (226 episodes, 1957-1963)
    Kam Tong ... Kim "Hey Boy" Chan / ... (96 episodes, 1957-1963)
    Hal Needham ... Bartender / ... (27 episodes, 1959-1963)
    Stewart East ... Townsman / ... (16 episodes, 1959-1963)
    Lisa Lu ... Hey Girl / ... (14 episodes, 1958-1961)
    Harry Carey Jr. ... Ben Murdock / ... (14 episodes, 1958-1963)
    Edward Faulkner ... Ben / ... (11 episodes, 1958-1962)

and many, many more, including,
    Ben Johnson, Chuck Roberson, Denver Pyle,
    Lon Chaney, John Mitchum, George Kennedy,
    James Coburn, Lee Van Cleef and even Duane Eddy

Series Directed by
    Andrew V. McLaglen (99 episodes, 1957-1963)
    Richard Boone (18 episodes, 1960-1963)
    Buzz Kulik (11 episodes, 1958-1961)
    Lamont Johnson (10 episodes, 1958-1959)
    Ida Lupino (7 episodes, 1959-1960)
    Richard Whorf (5 episodes, 1958-1959)
    William Conrad (4 episodes, 1962)
    and more...

Creators:
    Herb Meadow
    Sam Rolfe

Trivia
    * Paladin's horse was Rafter.
    * Although the series title had a hyphen, Paladin's business card did not.
    * Parts of the first season episode "The Colonel and the Lady" were filmed on sets used for the television show "Gunsmoke" (1955). The Long Branch Saloon is very minimally redecorated to stand in for a saloon Paladin visits in a Nevada mining town. Shots of people walking the streets of the town were also taken from Gunsmoke.
    * Filling out Paladin's back story in the early episodes, it is mentioned that he was a West Point graduate and former professional soldier before the Civil War. Paladin never mentions directly which side he was on during the war.
    * While many television series are taken from radio shows, the radio show “Have Gun Will Travel” with John Dehner as Paladin appeared after the television show.

Filming Locations
    Agua Dulce, California, USA
    Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, California, USA
    Apache Junction, Arizona, USA
    Apacheland Movie Ranch, 4369 S. Kings Ranch Road, Gold Canyon, Arizona, USA
    Bend, Oregon, USA
    Bronson Canyon, Griffith Park - 4730 Crystal Springs Drive, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Corriganville, Ray Corrigan Ranch, Simi Valley, California, USA
    Gallup, New Mexico, USA
    Golden Oak Ranch - 19802 Placerita Canyon Road, Newhall, California, USA
    Iverson Ranch, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Jack Ingram Ranch - 22255 Mulholland Drive, Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Johnson Canyon, Kanab, Utah, USA
    Kanab Movie Ranch - 5001 Angel Canyon Road, Kanab, Utah, USA
    Lone Pine, California, USA
    Melody Ranch - 24715 Oak Creek Avenue, Newhall, California, USA
    Old Tucson - 201 S. Kinney Road, Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Paramount Ranch - 2813 Cornell Road, Agoura, California, USA
    Red Rock Canyon State Park - Highway 14, Cantil, California, USA
    Squaw Valley, California, USA
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Vasquez Rocks Natural Area Park -Agua Dulce, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 16 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Have Gun—Will Travel is an American Western television series that aired on CBS from 1957 through 1963.
    It was rated either number three or number four in the Nielsen ratings during each year of its first four seasons.
    It was one of the few television shows to spawn a successful radio version. The radio series debuted November 23, 1958.

Have Gun—Will Travel was created by Sam Rolfe and Herb Meadow and produced by Frank Pierson,
    Don Ingalls, Robert Sparks, and Julian Claman.
    There were 225 episodes of the TV series, many written by Gene Roddenberry;
    101 were directed by Andrew McLaglen and 19 were directed by series star Richard Boone.

Great Series, and another favourite.
    How many of us when we were kids, played his role!
    The series, included many of Duke's 'Pals' ,
    and it also became a vehicle of Andrew V. McLaglen,
    to cut his teeth, as a director.
    The series was a huge TV hit, when Richard Boone,
    agreed to play Sam Houston, in The Alamo

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• and here it is:-

Ballad Of Paladin
    by Johnny Western, Richard Boone, and Sam Rolfe
    Performed by Johnny Western

Have Gun Will Travel reads the card of a man.
    A knight without armor in a savage land.
    His fast gun for hire head's the calling wind.
    A soldier of fotune is the man called Paladin.

Paladin, Paladin Where do you roam?
    Paladin, Paladin, Far, far from home.

He travels on to wherever he must;
    A chess knight of silver is his badge of trust.
    There are campfire legends that the plainsmen spin
    Of the man with the gun,
    of the man called Pa-l-l-l-l-a-din

Have Gun Will Travel - Paladin

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Firstly, Keith, I love these posts of yours and this one in particular. A huge fan of both Richard Boone and this series.

It reminds me of a story that kind of ties in with another thread that was also posted in the "off topics" area about the times we live in now / political correctness / etc.

I remember one of the best Christmas gifts I ever got when I was a kid was a holster with matching six shooters with the Paladin chess piece "Knights" on both the holster and the six shooters. God - I can still remember how thrilled I was when I opened up th present on Christmas morning and saw those beautiful toy guns and holster.

Well, fast forward a couple of decades later and now I'm an uncle for the first time and it's Christmas and I decide to buy my young nephew a hoslter with a couple of matching six shooters / cowboy hat / etc.

To this day, I'll never forget the look of horror on my sister-in-law's face when she saw the incredibly "inappropriate" gift that I bought my young nephew. She later took me aside and told me in no uncertain terms how unacceptable it was for me to purchas something as terrible as a couple of small "guns" for a young boy and she asked me what the hell I as thinking..??? Guns - for a small boy..!!!????

Well, I wasn't about to argue with her - not on Christmas Day and I certainly wasn't going to get into a debate with her about raising children, but I could only think back to the number of kids of my generation and older, who received similar types of gifts when they were kids and they turned out just fine.

But I guess in the 20th / 21st century,you're some kind of a mentally challenged dinosaur if you think a cowboy set with six shooters is an apporpriate gift for kids. ,

• I have a daughter-in-law with the same attitude. She won't even let her two (my youngest grandkids) watch Saturday morning cartoons because she thinks they're too "violent".

It's funny - she's the only in-law I can stand but I sure don't agree with her child-rearing methods. She's turning those two kids into little robots.

What's even worse is that she's turned my youngest son, who was always the most rebellious and independent-minded of our three, into a henpecked wuss. She's a real control freak.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Firstly, Keith, I love these posts of yours and this one in particular. A huge fan of both Richard Boone and this series.

Well, I wasn't about to argue with her - not on Christmas Day and I certainly wasn't going to get into a debate with her about raising children, but I could only think back to the number of kids of my generation and older, who received similar types of gifts when they were kids and they turned out just fine.

But I guess in the 20th / 21st century,you're some kind of a mentally challenged dinosaur if you think a cowboy set with six shooters is an apporpriate gift for kids. ,

Mark, thanks for your kind remarks,
    and it's good to see the work put in,being appreciated.

Like yourself and Jim, I gew up in an age,
    where dressing up as cowboys and indians,
    was a staple diet of ,just growing up.
    As you say it didn't mean that we all grew up wanting gunfights ,
    or indeed, scalping the postman, when he came to the door!

Like my Dad before me, my son, is allowed to play with toy guns etc,
    much to the disdain of some of our more 'lettuce like' friends.

Indeed Paladin was probably a better role model,
    the some of the ones, they model themselves on!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I have a daughter-in-law with the same attitude. She won't even let her two (my youngest grandkids) watch Saturday morning cartoons because she thinks they're too "violent".

It's funny - she's the only in-law I can stand but I sure don't agree with her child-rearing methods. She's turning those two kids into little robots.

What's even worse is that she's turned my youngest son, who was always the most rebellious and independent-minded of our three, into a henpecked wuss. She's a real control freak.

Over the years, I've managed to keep my mouth shut and most of my points of view to myself around my sister-in-law, but I know my brother and her have really butted heads about alot of these types of issues.

A few years ago, one of my nephews was caught cheating on a test - he might have been around 15 at the time and he was going to get a failing mark on the exam and possibly be disciplined.

Well, my sister-in-law raised such a ruckus that the teacher and the school eventually backed down and Joshua (my nephew) got a passing mark. Well, my brother was livid and he tried to explain to her that she did the boy no favour. That instead of owning up to the cheating like a man, taking the consequences and learning from it, all his mother succeeded in doing was showing him that even when you're wrong, if you cry "foul" long enough and loud enough, you'll get your way.

She's also from the "school of thought" where there should be no prizes, for example, given to kids who place first, second or third in some contests, All prizes do is reinforce the idea that some kids are winners and some are losers and you just end up "scarring
    / traumatizing" the kids who don't come in 1st / 2nd or 3rd. She thinks that ALL kids should be winners.

I feel sorry for my two nephews - they'fre going to get one hell of a rude awakening when they're fully grown men in the real world - where there is competition - and these two boys have been treated with kid gloves their entire lives by a mother who hasn't done, IMO, a very good job of preparing them for reality..!

Just more antiquated ideas from this dinosaur.!!:teeth_smile:

• I loved this series and loved Richard Boone as Pallidin. I remember sitting down each week just to watch this show and, it might be noted, a lot of memorable character actors did a turn on the series.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• they're going to get one hell of a rude awakening when they're fully grown in the real world - where there is competition - and these two have been treated with kid gloves their entire lives by a mother who hasn't done, IMO, a very good job of preparing them for reality..!

The wife and I are forever saying the same thing to each other about our grandkids. :teeth_smile:

Just more antiquated ideas from this dinosaur.!!:teeth_smile:

I'm tyrannosaurus rex! :wink_smile:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I must admit that this is one of the old tv westerns that I have never seen. Not even one episode. I like Richard Boone, but I guess they just didn't show it in my neck of the woods. I am in my mid 40's, so it would have been shown in re-runs if I was to see it at all. I remember seeing Gunsmoke, Rifle Man, Big Valley, Bonanza, F-Troop and Bat Masterson....but never Have Gun Will Travel. Too bad for me, eh?

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I own the first three seasons of Palladin - Have Gun-Will Travel and it is great. It is one of the first adult westerns. The only thing I can say that is negative, is when are they going to release the rest of the seasons?

• This thread jogged my memory about my own HGWT gun set that I received for Christmas as a "younker".
    I recall polishing the silver colored sixshooter until I thought the brilliant sun glare would blind my opponent and using Neatsfoot oil for my ball glove on the holster for a quick draw.
    I've watched every episode that's available on dvd and was amazed at the familiar character actors and future stars.
    At the age of 60, I'm thinking fondly of the '60s and believe I grew up in the best of all times in postwar America.

We deal in lead, friend.

• At the age of 60, I'm thinking fondly of the '60s and believe I grew up in the best of all times in postwar America.

At the age of 62, I agree. Coincidentally, I was visiting a kookie electronics friend of mine, who knows I'm a John Wayne and Western fan, and he runs in the house and comes back out, saying, "Hey, I got something for you!" and hands me two VHS tapes of Have Gun, Will Travel (with 4 episodes on each tape!), so you know what else we were watching today.

Chester :newyear:

• I've been watching Have Gun Will Travel on the western chanel. Seeing it now at my age is a little different , but it still holds up.