The Magnificent Seven (1960)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 111 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by may2.

• Re: Classic Movie Westerns- The Magnificent Seven (1960)

ethanedwards wrote:

I have not seen, The Seven Samurai,
      but I know some of our members have

I made a point to see it after "The Magnificent Seven" was released, just to compare the two. I like the cowboy version best.
      De gustibus non est disputandum

Yes it's The Seven Samurai.

Stumpy,

I agree that I like the cowboy version best too, yet I was amazed at how closely the story line of the cowboy version follows the original. In fact, there were elements of The Seven Samurai that reminded me more of a Western than what I'd expect a film about the East to be.
      Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

Tbone wrote:

Yes it's The Seven Samurai.

Stumpy,

I agree that I like the cowboy version best too, yet I was amazed at how closely the story line of the cowboy version follows the original. In fact, there were elements of The Seven Samurai that reminded me more of a Western than what I'd expect a film about the East to be.

This could be attributed to the director being inspired by the westerns of John Ford that frequently starred John Wayne.

Regarding "The Magnificent 7" I have always been dubious of Brad Dexters contribution as Harry Luck, he is there for the wrong reasons and doesn't do anything magnificent throughout the movie.

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie

Tbone wrote:

My preference for the cowboy version is probably something in my cultural psyche - I imagine folks in Japan like their version better.
      De gustibus non est disputandum

I am proud of making the masterpiece "The Seven Samurai" in Japan.
      and The Magnificent 7 is great western movie,i think.
      Akira Kurosawa who directed The 7 Samurai is well known
      to be friendly terms with John Ford.
      and the scene that seems that J.Ford's influence was obviously received
      it exists in The Seven Samurai.
      The scene which the horses come out is especially felt so by me.

regards,
      H.sanada
      Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
      ~Steve McQueen~

Robbie wrote:

Regarding "The Magnificent 7" I have always been dubious of Brad Dexters contribution as Harry Luck, he is there for the wrong reasons and doesn't do anything magnificent throughout the movie.

:agent:

I also wonderd about Brad Dexters part.you do not see him in any of the action scenes.were they cut out or did he not take part?
      ''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

BILL OF PA wrote:

I also wonderd about Brad Dexters part.you do not see him in any of the action scenes.were they cut out or did he not take part?

Hi Robbie and Bill,

this taken from the IMDb Biography on Brad Dexter,
      as you can see it amounts to not very much!!
      He was so totally eclipsed by the others.

Is best known for his role as Harry Luck, one of the title characters of The Magnificent Seven (1960). However, he is the one of the seven whom no one can ever remember.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

ethanedwards wrote:

Hi Robbie and Bill,
      this taken from the IMDb Biography on Brad Dexter,
      as you can see it amounts to not very much!!
      He was so totally eclipsed by the others.

I think his main claim to fame was that he was a buddy of Frank Sinatra's. They finally had a falling out - this is if my memory serves - when he had a chance to direct a movie Sinatra was in and they did not see eye-to-eye!
      Cheers - Jay:beer:

Hi

Great topics Kieth you are taking this way into the stars.

With regard to Krad Dexter, this is what made the Magnificent Seven such a good topic if in a quiz programme they were asked to name the Seven most would come up with six. Dexter was the one nobody could remember as he often stated when asked about his claim to fame. "I'm the one from the Magnificent Seven nobody remembers.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

WaynamoJim wrote:

Brynner and McQueen may have bumped heads trying to outdo each other but, I think Eli Wallach completely stole the movie as Calverra. I thought he was superb and I believe this was his first western.
      Favoerite lines from Wallach:
      Generosity, that was my first mistake.
      If God did not want them fleeced, He wouldn't have made them sheep.

WaynamoJim, I was going to say the same thing about Eli Wallach. In fact, thanks to this film, it's what made me a fan of Wallach. This guy was absolutely brillient as the leader of the bandits.

I have never seen any of the other three sequals but I do have them when I got the f-DvD set from W-M.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

It's funny that this movie was brought back up as I have been watching my Criterion version of "Seven Samurai". I know a few have said they don't care for it but after multiple viewing's this movie is great. And to have "The Magnificent Seven" made using the same basic storyline, it's even better. I would suggest to anyone that might even be mildly interested, to rent "Seven Samurai", I think you will be surprised. Just remember that the movie is subtitled, I quickly got into the movie so the subtitle's never really bothered me.
      Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
      -John Wayne

SXViper wrote:

It's funny that this movie was brought back up as I have been watching my Criterion version of "Seven Samurai". I know a few have said they don't care for it but after multiple viewing's this movie is great. And to have "The Magnificent Seven" made using the same basic storyline, it's even better. I would suggest to anyone that might even be mildly interested, to rent "Seven Samurai", I think you will be surprised. Just remember that the movie is subtitled, I quickly got into the movie so the subtitle's never really bothered me.

Hi Todd, no problem from me about The Seven Samurai. I first got to see it when TCM played it about 2 years ago, and really liked it. A few months ago, TCM played it again and that made up my mind for me-and this one will be in my collection soon. :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..