The Magnificent Seven (1960)

There are 112 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 123,677 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Looking at all those quotes from the movie, it showed Chris's last name as Adams. In the tv series from a few years back that starred Michael Biehn as Chris, his last name was Larrabee.

• The name "Chris Adams" appears in the introduction of that character in the script, but was never spoken or alluded to elsewhere in either the script or the movie. I have a copy of Screen Stories magazine from 1960 which also uses his last name.
    In the script, Chris is described wearing a dark suit of good cloth, cut well, but threadbare. "In his late thirties, he has been around and, in the course, has developed a considerable manner best described as panache".
    This fits Brynner much, much better than Sturges' original choice to cast Spencer Tracy in the role. Sturges had worked with Tracy before, but around this time, he was playing in "Inherit the Wind" and was well past his prime as a rakish gunsilnger. He did, however, more closely resemble his Japanese inspiration.
    Also in the TV series, Vin has the last name "Tanner" which is not in the movie script.

We deal in lead, friend.

• The name "Chris Adams" appears in the introduction of that character in the script, but was never spoken or alluded to elsewhere in either the script or the movie. I have a copy of Screen Stories magazine from 1960 which also uses his last name.
    In the script, Chris is described wearing a dark suit of good cloth, cut well, but threadbare. "In his late thirties, he has been around and, in the course, has developed a considerable manner best described as panache".
    This fits Brynner much, much better than Sturges' original choice to cast Spencer Tracy in the role. Sturges had worked with Tracy before, but around this time, he was playing in "Inherit the Wind" and was well past his prime as a rakish gunsilnger. He did, however, more closely resemble his Japanese inspiration.
    Also in the TV series, Vin has the last name "Tanner" which is not in the movie script.

We deal in lead, friend.

I don't remember where I heard it but, it was either in the first M7 or maybe the M7 Returns that Chris is referred to as a Cajun.

• Yeah, I think in the first one Dexter's character refers to Brynner's character as a "crafty cajun"-

• Right you are. When Chris recruits his old friend Harry, Harry says "You old Cajun, you don't talk so good but you always know what's goin' on".

James Coburn once recalled that before each take, Brad Dexter (Harry) would always take deep breaths to inflate the size of his chest.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Watched this for about the 500th time on TCM the other night and noticed for the first time that the villagers paid the seven $20.00 apiece - the same price as the funeral cost - "For twenty dollars I'd plant anybody, with a hoot and a holler".
    I guess irony is lost on me.

We deal in lead, friend.