The Big Country (1958)

There are 42 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 45,327 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I've always been madly in love with Jean Simmons. I thought she was much more beautiful than Liz Taylor or other Hollywood ladies.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Just watched The Big Country on Blu ray.
    Pristine transfer, superb widescreen and great sound quality...
    All this and a truly wonderful film equals a flawless experience.
    I got so wrapped up in it I ordered the CD of the soundtrack before the film ended!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• I don't have the Blu-ray yet, so thanks for the recommendation. I'm sure this movie looks stunning on Blu-ray. The soundtrack to the movie is terrific, was it the 42 track LaLa Land Records soundtrack you bought?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• I don't have the Blu-ray yet, so thanks for the recommendation. I'm sure this movie looks stunning on Blu-ray. The soundtrack to the movie is terrific, was it the 42 track LaLa Land Records soundtrack you bought?

Sure was!:wink_smile:
    After all my complaining about Hondo on Blu ray being delayed and taking ages to arrive I still haven't watched it lol!
    Currently sat through the arse numbing directors cut of Gettysburg on Blu ray!
    Enjoy Hondo.

• Currently sat through the arse numbing directors cut of Gettysburg on Blu ray!
    Enjoy Hondo.

I told you it was long. :wink_smile:
    Did you like it as well as Gods and Generals? I keep meaning to break out G & G and watch it again, just have not got around to doing it yet.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I told you it was long. :wink_smile:
    Did you like it as well as Gods and Generals? I keep meaning to break out G & G and watch it again, just have not got around to doing it yet.

Mark

Hi Mark, I've had to break for supper, two and a half hours in, so half way lol!

Really, really enjoying it, almost wished I had watched G & G more recently.
    Wonder if anyone on here has watched them back to back!!!

• Hi Mark, I've had to break for supper, two and a half hours in, so half way lol!

Really, really enjoying it, almost wished I had watched G & G more recently.
    Wonder if anyone on here has watched them back to back!!!

Yeah, I am. Been sitting here watching for the last 6 months and I'm hungry. Only half way through, which means, I finished one, started the other.
    Not really, lol. That would be some very heavy movie watching. Bet someones done it, though.

• I accomplished it myself when my wife was out of town. I still wonder what hairy critter was attached to Tom Berenger's face in Getty and although I really enjoyed Stephen Lang's turn as Stonewall Jackson, I was getting antsy for him to pass away after about eight hours of viewing. Next time, I'll break them up.

We deal in lead, friend.

• That's impressive Gorch,
    I've actually decided to split my viewing to coincide with the actual days of the conflict. So I've watch the 1st of July part on the first of July and started July 2nd after midnight :-). It give it more resonance somehow knowing what you are watching happened on the same day all those years ago.

• There were so many shots of just countryside and nothingness, so many scenes were the camera just fixed on someones face looking angry or scared, wasn't as good as it wanted to think it was for me, trying too hard in many places.

Haha Keith this comment wasn't about The Big Country it was about The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford. Never seen The Big Country!

• This film was shown on the BBC around Christmastime so I programmed it on my digi- box and finally made the time to watch it. I don't think I ever saw it before and after watching I know I haven't seen it before. But that music!!! OMW I recognized it so I must've heard it on the radio or whatever. It gave me goosebumps straight away. I didn't think it too long although I watched it in 2 goes. The love story was a little predictable and the main story too I guess. But it is one of the better westerns around (that I watched). Only thing is I've never been keen on Burt Lancaster and I'm afraid after watching this film I still don't like him. Gregory Peck, Chuck Connors and Jean Simmons where outstanding.