Saving Private Ryan (1998)

There are 51 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 63,089 times. The latest Post () was by The Tennesseean.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• [quote='Hondo Duke Lane','http://dukewayne.com/bb/index.php?thread/&postID=16699#post16699']

Saving showed explicit scenes and told a story of the horrors of war. They showed a troop of soldiers searching for a person, one person without knowing where he was and knowing that he was not where he was suppose to be. Then all of a sudden, they tracked him down under terrible odds of survival, and most of the troops survived, then when they find him,
    almost all of the squad gets killed. Only in Hollywood could you get results like that. "

There are stories out of Vietnam where they went in to get a guy out
    and several people would die to get the one guy. I know there are
    also cases
    where they lost nobody.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

Edited once, last by colkid60 ().

• I am not sure what people's beef is with this movie but objectively speaking, this is a great movie. No one is comparing it to "The Longest Day". No one said that it was meant to be a true story. But from a pure movie making stand point, it was a excellent movie. Better then most of the stuff that has come out in recent times.

And you really cannot compare it too "The Longest Day" as one movie is trying to be a accurate representation of the events on June 6th, 1944. The other is a story of what might have happened during the same period.

I thought it was a brilliant script and very well acted movie. The scene that get's me the most is when Matt Damon's charactor as a old man asks his wife if he has lived a good life and been a good man with tears in his eyes. I also think that it was a great tribute to the veterans of WW2.

I know this is an old topic but--MY beef with it is several-fold. For one--yeah--I KNOW it's a fictional story based around the real stuff but though I initially liked the film, it has NOTHING on: The Longest Day. Also, movie-wise--there was NO need to have that much cussing and gore-to get the point across--PERIOD>>>> I dont need to see several G.I.s chests ripped open and spurting pints of blood-in order to "see" that they got mowed down by a German Machine gun.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• As a side note, SPR is one movie that ill never call a "classic." It was good in its own right but-I prefer The Longest Day as well as The Big Red One and Breakthrough--over it anytime any day. The other movies mentioned also have landings taking place at Normandy--even if not intended to be the main subject of said movies.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Has to be one of THE most stirring scores ever written.
    I defy anyone to listen to it, in isolation from the film, and not be moved by it.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• It should've won the Best Picture Oscar, not that Shakespeare In Love movie. And I think the reason is that there seemed to be an anti-Steven Speilberg movement going on for years. I think there was alot of jealousy going on in Hollywood because he was having so much success with so many of his movies.