There are 25 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 19,858 times. The latest Post () was by Dooley.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• ERROL FLYNN

Information From IMDb

Date of Birth
    20 June 1909, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Date of Death
    14 October 1959, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (heart attack)

Birth Name
    Errol Leslie Thomson Flynn

Nickname
    The Baron
    Satan's Angel (given to him by Marlene Dietrich)
    Flynny

Trade Mark
    He is considered one of the greatest movie swashbucklers of the sound period.

Height
    6' 2½" (1.89 m)

Spouse
    Patrice Wymore (23 October 1950 - 14 October 1959) (his death) 1 child
    Nora Eddington (August 1943 - 7 July 1948) (divorced) 2 children
    Lili Damita (29 June 1935 - 8 April 1942) (divorced) 1 child

[B][U]Trivia
    Father, with Patrice Wymore of Arnella (25 December 1953 - 21 September 1998)

Father with Nora Eddington of Deirdre (born January 10, 1945) and Rory (born March 12, 1947).

Ranked #70 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. [October 1997]

Father, with Lili Damita of photojournalist Sean Flynn (1941 - 1970).

It has been said that his 1959 autobiography, "My Wicked Wicked Ways," was originally to be called "In Like Me."

Was tried for statutory rape in 1942 but was acquitted.

When banned from drinking on a film set, he would inject oranges with vodka and eat them during his breaks.

Interred at Forest Lawn, Glendale, California, in the Garden of Everlasting Peace.

Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#86). [1995]

Father of Deirdre Flynn.

On his mother's side, he was a direct descendant of Fletcher Christian and Edward Young, of H.M.S. Bounty fame.

The hit song "Errol", by Australian band Australian Crawl, was about him.

The phrase "In like Flynn," stems from his 1942 trial for statutory rape.

His son Sean Flynn appeared in a few films but didn't particularly like being an actor. He switched careers and was a freelance photojournalist during the Vietnam War. He disappeared with another journalist as they followed the US Army invasion into Cambodia and both were thought to have been captured and executed by Khmer Rouge guerrillas. He is the subject of the 1981 The Clash song, "Sean Flynn."

He was the great-great-great-great-grandson of HMS Bounty mutineer Fletcher Christian, whom he portrayed in the film In the Wake of the Bounty (1933). He was also the 23rd great-grandson of Robert De Vere. In addition, he is the 15th cousin twice removed of 'Olivia De Havilland', who played Maid Marian, his love interest, in "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (1938).

He was voted the 55th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly.

Grandfather of Luke Flynn.

His father was head of Zoology at the University of Tasmania.

He was voted the 26th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly.

It was during a "Parkinson" (1971) interview that his good friend David Niven revealed that during the filming of The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936), Flynn was busy on a horse during a break applying makeup with one hand whilst holding a mirror in the other. An extra seeing this assumed (like most of the people around) that he was gay, and decided to "pock" the horse up the behind with his lance - the horse bucked, throwing Flynn to the ground. He got to his feet and asked who had done that, the extra volunteered, thinking that this would only add to his embarrassment. However, Flynn dragged him from the horse and gave him a sound beating. They were the best of friends after that.

He met his second wife while she was working at a snack counter in a courthouse during one of his rape trials.

His father, Theodore Flynn, taught biology at Queens College, Belfast.

Warner Brothers' publicity department tried to claim that he was from Ireland, when he was in fact from Tasmania, the small island state of Australia.

Is portrayed by Duncan Regehr in My Wicked, Wicked Ways... The Legend of Errol Flynn (1985) (TV) and by Guy Pearce in Flynn (1996)

He and Olivia de Havilland acted together in 9 movies: The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), Captain Blood (1935), The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936), Dodge City (1939), Four's a Crowd (1938), The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939), Santa Fe Trail (1940), Thank Your Lucky Stars (1943) and They Died with Their Boots On (1941)

Although only 50 when he succumbed to a massive heart attack aboard the yacht that had become his home during his final years, the autopsy showed he had the body of a 75-year-old man.

Although from generations of Tasmanians, his family was of British and Irish descent.

He and director Michael Curtiz made some of their best pictures together, but he despised Curtiz (which was mutual) and the two fought constantly whenever they worked together. Ironically, his first wife Lili Damita was previously briefly married to Curtiz.

Declaring to his second wife that he wanted to experience everything in life, he began dabbling in opium in the late 1940s and quickly became a full-fledged addict. His opium addiction and the effects of the alcohol that ravaged his body over the years contributed to his premature death in 1959 at only age 50.

Mentioned in the song "Blood on the Rooftops" by Genesis.

His performance as Robin Hood in The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) is ranked #16 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.

In 1980, author Charles Higham published a controversial biography, "Errol Flynn: The Untold Story," in which he alleged that Flynn was a fascist sympathizer who spied for the Nazis before and during World War II. In Disney's film The Rocketeer (1991), the major villain, Neville Sinclair, was a 1930s Hollywood actor who spied for the Nazis, an obvious reference to Higham's allegations about Flynn. The book also alleged he was bisexual and had affairs with Tyrone Power, Howard Hughes and Truman Capote. Subsequent biographies - notably Tony Thomas' "Errol Flynn: The Spy Who Never Was" (1990) - have denounced Higham's claims as fabrications. Flynn's political beliefs appear to have been left-wing. He was a strong supporter of the Spanish Republic and a fervent opponent of ultra-conservative Gen. Francisco Franco in the Spanish Civil War, and was a supporter of Fidel Castro's revolution in Cuba. even hosting a documentary titled The Truth About Fidel Castro Revolution (1959) shortly before his death. According to his own posthumous autobiography, "My Wicked, Wicked Ways", he admired Cstro and considered him a personal friend.

He was granted a 4-F deferment during World War II due to his weak heart, exacerbated by bouts of malaria and tuberculosis. During the filming of Gentleman Jim (1942) Flynn suffered a mild heart attack.

Is portrayed by Jude Law in The Aviator (2004).

His mother had Polynesian ancestry, from Tahiti, through her four great-grandmothers--the mutineers of HMS Bounty sailed from Tahiti to Pitcairn Island, taking some Tahitian women with them. As of 2005, there were an estimated 55 descendants of the mutineers still living on Pitcairn.

From his mother's side and through Fletcher Christian he is descended from an illegitimate daughter from an unknown mother of Sir Richard Neville, 6th Earl of Salisbury and 16th Earl Consort of Warwick, 181th Knight of the Garter, and through him from Edward III Plantagenet, King of England.

Probably his most uncharacteristic screen appearance occurred in Thank Your Lucky Stars (1943) when he sang and danced his way through a pub number entitled "That's What You Jolly Well Get".

In The Case of the Curious Bride (1935), one of his earliest films, his role consisted of lying on a marble slab as a corpse. There was also a flashback sequence towards the end of the film showing how Flynn was killed. The film in question has appeared at least twice on Turner Classic Movies during Errol Flynn festivals despite his very limited (certainly less than two minutes) screen time.

A chain smoker, in the last year of his life, he underwent hospital tests to see whether he had throat cancer.

Nearly died from food poisoning after eating uncooked ground hamburger meat mixed with raw egg yolk early in 1959.

In the early days of establishing his Hollywood career, he passed himself off as Irish in the belief that few people knew of Australia. He was born, educated and began work in Australia, later drifting between Papua New Guinea and Sydney (rumoured to have been a fighter for PNG) before stumbling on to acting. The Australian film In the Wake of the Bounty (1933) captured some attention for him in the States and so, owing enormous debts to the Australian Taxation Office, he moved to America. He said to the ATO, "I'm willing to forget if you are.".

In the last two years of his life Flynn caused a scandal by touring the world with his teenage mistress Beverly Aadland working as his secretary.

Once stated that his only regret was his non-participation in World War II.

He was considered for Leslie Howard's role in Gone with the Wind (1939). He was also allegedly considered for the role of Rhett Butler, but Bette Davis (who was to play Scarlett O'Hara) vetoed the idea.

Became seriously ill with liver failure in the mid-1950s.

Had a vasectomy in 1955.

In his final years he suffered from Buerger's disease, acute inflammation and thrombosis (clotting) of arteries and veins of the legs, hands and feet as a result of his excessive cigarette smoking.

Best remembered by the public for his starring in swash-buckling adventure films.

Independent writer/director Patrick Stark is creating a dramatic feature about the last days of Flynn's life in Vancouver, British Columbia.

The underlying causes of his death were myocardial infarction, coronary thrombosis, coronary atherosclerosis, liver degeneration, liver sclerosis and diverticulitis of the colon.

Though Flynn did most of his own stunts in Against All Flags (1952), he balked at the one involving sliding down through a sail on a rapier blade, which was originated by Douglas Fairbanks in The Black Pirate (1926); it was performed by a stunt double.

A recent Australian documentary on his life and career, narrated by Christopher Lee, included a film clip of Flynn being interviewed on his being nominated for the Academy Award for his critically acclaimed performance in The Sun Also Rises (1957). We are then told that the nomination "disappeared".

Personal Quotes
    You once liked the blissful mobility, but then you wonder, who's the real you? And who's the chap on the screen? You know, I catch myself acting out my life like a goddamn script.

They've great respect for the dead in Hollywood, but none for the living.

I do what I like.

I like my whiskey old and my women young.

[last words] I've had a hell of a lot of fun and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

I can't reconcile my gross habits with my net income.

I intend to live the first half of my life. I don't care about the rest.

The public has always expected me to be a playboy, and a decent chap never lets his public down.

It isn't what they say about you, it's what they whisper.

If I have any genius it is a genius for living.

I felt like an impostor, taking all that money for reciting ten or twelve lines of nonsense a day.

Women won't let me stay single, and I won't let myself stay married.

I allow myself to be understood as a colorful fragment in a drab world.

I've made six or seven good films - the others, not so good.

My job is to defy the normal.

Mini Biography
    Errol Flynn was born to parents Theodore Flynn, a respected biologist, and Marrelle Young, an adventurous young woman and descendant of a midshipman of HMS Bounty fame. Young Flynn was a rambunctious child who could be counted on to find trouble. When the family took up residence in England, Errol managed to have himself thrown out of every school he was enrolled in. In his late teens he set out to find gold, but instead found a series of short lived odd jobs. Information is sketchy, but the positions of police constable, sanitation engineer, treasure hunter, sheep castrator, shipmaster for hire, fisherman, and soldier seem to be among his more reputable career choices. Staying one jump ahead of the law and jealous husbands forced Flynn back to England. He took up acting, a pastime he had previously stumbled into when asked to play (ironically) Fletcher Christian in a film called In the Wake of the Bounty (1933). Flynn's natural athletic talent and good looks attracted the attention of Warner Brothers and soon he was off to America. His luck held when he replaced Robert Donat in the title role of Captain Blood (1935). He quickly rocketed to stardom as the undisputed king of swashbuckler films, a title inherited from Douglas Fairbanks, but which remains his to this day. Onscreen, he was the freedom loving rebel, a man of action who fought against injustice and won the hearts of damsels in the process. His off-screen passions; drinking, fighting, boating and sex, made his film escapades seem pale. His love life brought him considerable fame, three statutory rape trials, and a lasting memorial in the expression "In like Flynn". Serious roles eluded him, and as his lifestyle eroded his youthful good looks, his career declined. Troubles with lawsuits and the IRS plagued him at this time, eroding what little money he had saved. A few good roles did come his way late in life, however, usually aging alcoholics, almost mirror images of Flynn. He was making a name as a serious actor before his death.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Christopher E. Appel

Filmography

Actor
    1. Cuban Rebel Girls (1959) .... The American Correspondent
    ... aka Assault of the Rebel Girls
    ... aka Attack of the Rebel Girls (USA: reissue title)
    2. "Goodyear Theatre" .... 'Doc' Boatwright (1 episode, 1959)
    ... aka Award Theatre (USA: syndication title)
    ... aka Golden Years of Television (USA: cable TV title)
    - The Golden Shanty (1959) TV episode .... 'Doc' Boatwright
    3. "The Red Skelton Show" .... Gentleman Hobo (1 episode, 1959) ... aka The Red Skelton Hour (USA: new title)
    - Freddie's Beat Shack (1959) TV episode .... Gentleman Hobo
    4. The Roots of Heaven (1958) .... Forsythe
    5. Too Much, Too Soon (1958) .... John Barrymore ... aka Too Much, Too Soon: The Daring Story of Diana Barrymore (USA: long title)
    6. The Sun Also Rises (1957) .... Mike Campbell ... aka Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises (USA: complete title)
    7. "Playhouse 90" .... Capt. Russell Bidlack (1 episode, 1957) - Without Incident (1957) TV episode .... Capt. Russell Bidlack
    8. "The Errol Flynn Theatre" .... Don Juan / ... (2 episodes)
    ... aka Mystery Adventure: The Errol Flynn Theatre (USA: syndication title)
    - 1000th Night of Don Juan (????) TV episode .... Don Juan / Himself - Host
    - Rescued (????) TV episode .... John Morton
    9. The Big Boodle (1957) .... Ned Sherwood... aka A Night in Havana (UK)
    10. Istanbul (1957) .... James Brennan
    11. "Screen Directors Playhouse" .... Francois Villon (1 episode, 1956) - The Sword of Villon (1956) TV episode .... Francois Villon
    12. King's Rhapsody (1955) .... Richard, King of Laurentia
    13. The Dark Avenger (1955) .... Prince Edward ... aka The Warriors (USA)
    14. Lilacs in the Spring (1954) .... John 'Beau' Beaumont... aka Let's Make Up (USA)
    15. Maestro di Don Giovanni, Il (1954) .... Renzo ... aka Crossed Swords (USA)
    16. The Master of Ballantrae (1953) .... Jamie Durie
    17. The Story of William Tell (1953) .... William Tell
    18. Against All Flags (1952) .... Brian Hawke
    19. Mara Maru (1952) .... Gregory Mason
    20. Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951) .... Capt. Michael Fabian
    21. Hello God (1951) .... Man on Anzio Beach
    22. Kim (1950) .... Mahbub Ali, the Red Beard
    23. Rocky Mountain (1950) .... Capt. Lafe Barstow (CSA)
    24. Montana (1950) .... Morgan Lane
    25. That Forsyte Woman (1949) .... Soames Forsyte... aka The Forsyte Saga (UK)
    26. It's a Great Feeling (1949) (uncredited) .... Jeffrey Bushdinkle, the Groom
    27. Adventures of Don Juan (1948) .... Don Juan ... aka The New Adventures of Don Juan (UK)
    28. Silver River (1948) .... "Mike" McComb
    29. The Lady from Shanghai (1947) (uncredited) .... Man in background outside of cantina
    30. Escape Me Never (1947) .... Sebastian Dubrok
    31. Cry Wolf (1947) .... Mark Caldwell
    32. Never Say Goodbye (1946) .... Phil Gayley
    33. San Antonio (1945) .... Clay Hardin
    34. Objective, Burma! (1945) .... Capt. Nelson
    35. Uncertain Glory (1944) .... Jean Picard
    36. Northern Pursuit (1943) .... Corporal Steve Wagner
    37. Edge of Darkness (1943) .... Gunnar Brogge
    38. Gentleman Jim (1942) .... James J. Corbett aka Gentleman Jim
    39. Desperate Journey (1942) .... Flight Lt. Terrence 'Terry' Forbes
    40. They Died with Their Boots On (1941) .... George Armstrong Custer
    41. Dive Bomber (1941) .... Lt. Douglas S. 'Doug' Lee, MD
    42. Footsteps in the Dark (1941) .... Francis Monroe Warren II
    43. Santa Fe Trail (1940) .... Jeb Stuart
    44. The Sea Hawk (1940) .... Geoffrey Thorpe
    45. Virginia City (1940) .... Kerry Bradford
    46. The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939) .... Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex
    47. Dodge City (1939) .... Wade Hatton
    48. The Dawn Patrol (1938) .... Captain Courtney
    49. The Sisters (1938) .... Frank Medlin
    50. Four's a Crowd (1938) .... Robert Kensington 'Bob' Lansford
    51. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) .... Robin Hood
    52. The Perfect Specimen (1937) .... Gerald Beresford Wicks
    53. Another Dawn (1937) .... Captain Denny Roark
    54. The Prince and the Pauper (1937) .... Miles Hendon
    55. Green Light (1937) .... Dr. Newell Paige
    56. The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936) .... Maj. Geoffrey Vickers
    57. Captain Blood (1935) .... Peter Blood
    58. All-American Drawback (1935)
    59. Don't Bet on Blondes (1935) .... David Van Dusen
    60. The Case of the Curious Bride (1935) .... Gregory Moxley
    61. Murder at Monte Carlo (1934) .... Dyter
    62. I Adore You (1933) (uncredited) .... Bit
    63. In the Wake of the Bounty (1933) .... Fletcher Christian

Previous discussion:-
    Errol Flynn Movie Reviews

They Died With Their Boots On

Watch a Full Movie:-

Santa Fe Trail

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 7 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Errol Flynn, probably known more as a
    swashbuckling screen legend, also made some classic western movies,
    The photo on the opening thread shows Flynn
    as General George Armstrong Custer in
    They Died with Their Boots On (1941)
    A great film, with Flynn making a solid, if not over the top,
    performance.
    I also enjoyed him as
    Wade Hatton in Dodge City (1939)
    and what seemed to be it's sequel
    Virginia City (1940)
    Other enjoyable one's were
    San Antonio (1945)
    and Santa Fe Trail (1940)

Errol Flynn, was a great screen legend!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Errol Flynn. Mr. Cool. The first movie I saw him in was " Captain Blood " I was a fan of his from then on. He also had a couple of great caracter actors that starred with him in a number of movies. Alan Hale Sr. and Big Boy Williams. What a crew. I always was a sucker for those who fought for the weak and good guys against the bad guys.

• The other westerns Flynn made were Silver River, Montana and, Rocky Mountain. The first two were ok but, Rocky Mountain is a very underrated western. Once in awhile, they'll show it on TCM but, not often enough.

• For all of us Errol Flynn fans, on Aug 26th, a new set of Flynn movies will be released on DVD. It'll be a four movie set and will consist of four of Errol Flynns westerns that will make their debut on DVD. Those films are, San Antonio, Virginia City, Rocky Mountain and, Montana. Of the four, Rocky Mountain has never been on home video before. At least as far as I know. I've had the other three on VHS for a number of years.

• My first viewing of Errol Flynn came in the form of: Sea Hawk, and i've been a fan since. Currently looking for a copy of one of his books: Beams End, just so I can see what he was like as an author.

His reputation aside, he was great in so many films and I finally not too long ago, got to see him in Gentleman Jim-which was an excellent movie.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) will always be my favorite Errol Flynn movie.
    I can't remember how many times we've watched it around here. A second runner up would be, The Prince and the Pauper (1937). You watch them enough, and it's easy to start visualizing our members from the UK running around in tights, carrying swords.:ohmy:

Chester :newyear:

• You watch them enough, and it's easy to start visualizing our members from the UK running around in tights, carrying swords.

I do it every day Jim, it makes me feel so MANLY!!!

A Man's got to do what a Man's got to do ! !

Chester :newyear:

• The Adventures of Robin Hood is also one of my all-time most favorites. It's difficult to pick an all-timer with Flynn - just like you-know-whose films? ;-))

• errol flynn a legend.he made 8 westerns.he could act in any genre.90% of his films are classics.he new how to live life,and he died well before his years.

• Olivia de Havilland had a nobility and purity about her on film which no matter how much acting training you have, you either have it or not.
    It's hardly surprising her best performances, imo, where as royalty or in aristocratic roles.
    The films she made with Errol Flynn still remain some of my favourite films of all time.

Fully agree and I wish that had Flynn not messed things up by messing around--that they would have made a perfect couple. Olivia even made mention of that in an interview I saw her on. A friend of mine locally is related to the last wife Flynn had--Patrice whatever her last name is?? They are first Cousins.

I also agree that I think Olivia's best movies were her with Flynn. The "look" to her I liked the most was when she was in: They Died With Their Boots On.

• Fully agree and I wish that had Flynn not messed things up by messing around--that they would have made a perfect couple. Olivia even made mention of that in an interview I saw her on. A friend of mine locally is related to the last wife Flynn had--Patrice whatever her last name is?? They are first Cousins.

I also agree that I think Olivia's best movies were her with Flynn. The "look" to her I liked the most was when she was in: They Died With Their Boots On.

Makes me want to dig these out right now and start watching them! The Sea Hawk is my all time fave Flynn film. I know Olivia isn't in that one!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Makes me want to dig these out right now and start watching them! The Sea Hawk is my all time fave Flynn film. I know Olivia isn't in that one!

One of my all time favorite faves is Sea Hawk. Its included in one of the Errol Flynn Signature box sets. Ive got four of his sets ;-))