Dances with Wolves (1990)

There are 80 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 78,164 times. The latest Post () was by Hawkswill.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Not to get into a debate over Costner films but "Bull Durham" I think ranks as one of his best and one of the best sports films ever.

I never cared for Bull Durham. I thought Field of Dreams was better as a sports movie. Part of the reason I don't like Bull Durham is I don't care for Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, though Robbins movie Shawshank Redemption was excellent.

• I never cared for Bull Durham. I thought Field of Dreams was better as a sports movie. Part of the reason I don't like Bull Durham is I don't care for Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, though Robbins movie Shawshank Redemption was excellent.

I hear you on the Sarandon/Robbins thing but too me it is a classic movie with some really good characters in it.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I haven't watched DWW in a while but am I remembering correctly the Commander blew his brains out? The post to the Fort wasn't that attractive for any soldier wanting a career.

• [extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aeXUymENtiM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aeXUymENtiM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• This soundtrack is one of the best ever done for any movie. It was done by the great John Barry who did most if not all of the James Bond films plus, Out Of Africa, Somewhere In Time, Frances, Born Free, The Ipcress File and who knows how many others. I've got this one and just like playing it over and over.

• Shortly after this movie came out we vacationed in the Black Hills, almost everywhere you went you saw a sign about the movie, tours to where parts of the movie was filmed. Beautiful country out there, one of my fav places

• Shortly after this movie came out we vacationed in the Black Hills, almost everywhere you went you saw a sign parts of the movie was filmed. Beautiful country out there, one of my fav places

We did the same thing back in 93. On the route along I-90, they had a place that had historical buildings from all over S.D. The had one set up from the movie with alot of props and photos from the film and even had the horse Costner rode. People got to pet him and take pictures with him. And just outside of Rapid City as you're going into the Black Hills, they had the buildings from fort sequence when Costner is first going out there and you could stop and check them out. Plus, there were other areas where they did the filming of the Sioux village scenes.

• Speaking of native Americans, last night I stayed up into the wee hours watching the four hour director's cut of "Dances With Wolves".
    I know that Costner isn't popular with some people, but he made a damn fine film here. This longer edition fleshes out some minor characters, particularly the Lakota, making their actions more understandable. There's a restored scene or two showing the cavalry abandoning Dunbar's post as well as a formally deleted incident on the buffalo hunt where the tribe finds carcasses slaughtered by white hunters. The Lakota are shown having a scalp dance after they kill the hide hunters and Dunbar's reaction.
    If you haven't seen this addition, which adds about a whole hour, I recommend it.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Speaking of native Americans, last night I stayed up into the wee hours watching the four hour director's cut of "Dances With Wolves".
    I know that Costner isn't popular with some people, but he made a damn fine film here. This longer edition fleshes out some minor characters, particularly the Lakota, making their actions more understandable. There's a restored scene or two showing the cavalry abandoning Dunbar's post as well as a formally deleted incident on the buffalo hunt where the tribe finds carcasses slaughtered by white hunters. The Lakota are shown having a scalp dance after they kill the hide hunters and Dunbar's reaction.
    If you haven't seen this addition, which adds about a whole hour, I recommend it.

We deal in lead, friend.

Yeah, Gorch, I've seen the long version a few times now. Another extended scene added has Dunbar and Kicking Bird(Graham Greene) going on a trip to what the Sioux and Cheyenne consider their holy place, the Black Hills. There they find a camp that white trappers or whatever, where there are dead animals everywhere and just a huge mess. And both men cannot believe what they find there. Kicking Bird is hurt by what he sees as a flagrant disregard for what he considers something special that was given to them. Dunbar looks ashamed that men of his race can act like pigs.

• Right you are Jim. That was the final desecration which started when Timmons throws the empty can onto the pristine plain.
    My trouble is that it's been so long since I viewed the original cut, I can't recall everything that has been added.

We deal in lead, friend.