Dances with Wolves (1990)

There are 80 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 78,168 times. The latest Post () was by Hawkswill.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I agree with the soldier assesments that everyone has, but I still like the movie. what I enjoy most is when Dunbar is getting to know the country/animals and then gettting to know the Souix indians. I thought that was very well done.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Edited once, last by SXViper ().

• I figured that you would get the message of the movie Carl, no offense.

I had a tough time the first time that I watched it. Too see the soldier's depicted the way they were was disheartening. I think that is what made my dad not much of a fan. He was brought up watching western's that showed the calvary soldiers as honorable men, ie Rio Grande, Fort Apache, ect..... and to see a different side to them and a ugly side to boot, it didn't sit well with him.

Hi Todd, none taken. I also think part of my "thing" against DWW is that I too were brought up on movies with a differance to them like the ones you mentioned. That movie would have been thought of by my Dad the same way as yours thought of it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Here's something for all you Costner fans to chew on. It's funny, because the late, great, Richard Harris is one of my favorite, under-rated actors, yet I never thought of the similarities between A Man Called Horse and DWW. It's probably just because I haven't seen DWW for a looooong time.

But I do think that A Man Called Horse was far more honest in showing that the Indians did some pretty awful things, too. DWW was very simplistic, and made the Indians look like candidates for sainthood.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• I don't think Costner wrote the book or the screenplay so I cannot get how he can blame Costner for "stealing" those scenes from A Man Called Horse. If anything blame the writer of the book and the screenplay.

-John Wayne

• Heh heh, I was on another site where there was a thread that was about this movie. I nearly $%^^ed my pants when I read that someoen suggested that they rename this movie: "Dances With Weasels." Now THAT I can imagine ;-))

• Not bad, not bad, still haven't watched it, but am getting closer.

Chester :newyear:

I hate to dissappoint Todd more by blasting this movie but, I wouldn't even bother watching it unless you wan't about 3 hrs of boredom. No offenses meant towards Todd. If you want to get you "fix" of Kevin Costner-re-watch The Untouchables.

• Ouch!! Enough of the Costner bashing, gees!!!

:sport_box:Author assumes all responsibility for this post and can take any ribbing that people want to dish out!! hehehehe!!!:teeth_smile:

-John Wayne

• I agree about the first scenes if they really did happen Dunbar was a dead man for Johnny Reb was a better shot, but the divine intervention is a good point of view.

I agree about the movie casting the Indians into sainthood, but some did get along with whites well and during the Civil War blacks were given free passage through Indian country because of their plight with the white man. Not until the Black Pony soldiers joined the white man's army did the Indians start killing blacks.

Overall I still enjoyed the movie. I cracked up on the peace pipe exchange.

• I, for one, like Graham Greene in just about anything he's ever done. Can take Costner or leave him, but if it's got Graham Greene in it...I'll watch it.

• Hi Todd, im not Costner-bashing. I only posted what I saw from that other site as something to create a bit of humor. Also, we already agreed to disagree about how we both feel about Costner. I only posted my opinion of him. Sorry that is such a sin to do these days? However, i'll respect your wishes and will never mention his name again or anything about his movies.

PS, I don't feel that his name is "Mud," either. The above mentioned actor just hasn't made more than one movie that I liked him in.

Best regards-Carl.

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Carl, I think you took my post the wrong way. I was kidding about the Costner bashing. If you read my statement ::sport_box:Author assumes all responsibility for this post and can take any ribbing that people want to dish out!! hehehehe!!!:teeth_smile:
    You will see that I was kidding right back at you and whoever. I know there are many on the site who don't like Kevin and that;s fine. I meant no harm and was just kidding right back to everyone else.

PS Go ahead and mention his name, it doesn't matter to me.

-John Wayne

• If Costner had more westerns under his belt, then I would say add him but, I believe he only has four, Silverado, DWW, Wyatt Earp and, Open Range. Can't remember him appearing in any more. Get another half dozen quality ones in, then we'll talk. Personally, westerns are the only Costner movies I really like. Waterworld and The Postman were ok but, all the rest, who cares. And that includes Field of Dreams

• If Costner had more westerns under his belt, then I would say add him but, I believe he only has four, Silverado, DWW, Wyatt Earp and, Open Range. Can't remember him appearing in any more. Get another half dozen quality ones in, then we'll talk. Personally, westerns are the only Costner movies I really like. Waterworld and The Postman were ok but, all the rest, who cares. And that includes Field of Dreams

Not to get into a debate over Costner films but "Bull Durham" I think ranks as one of his best and one of the best sports films ever.

-John Wayne