The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp (1955-1961)

There are 19 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 12,353 times. The latest Post () was by WaynamoJim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE LIFE AND LEGEND OF WYATT EARP

DESILU/ ABC TELEVISION

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    Marshal Earp keeps the law, first in Kansas and later in Arizona,
    using his over-sized pistols and a variety of sidekicks.
    Most of the saga is based loosely on fact, with historical badguys and good guys,
    ending up with the famous shootout at the O.K. corral.
    Written by Ed Stephan

Series Cast
    Hugh O'Brian ... Wyatt Earp (46 episodes, 1955-1961)
    Alan Dinehart III ... Bat Masterson (24 episodes, 1955-1959)
    Douglas Fowley ... Doc Holliday / ... (23 episodes, 1955-1961)
    Paul Brinegar ... Jim 'Dog' Kelly (16 episodes, 1956-1958)
    Rico Alaniz ... Esteban / ... (14 episodes, 1955-1960)
    Sam Flint ... Dad Lenhart / ... (12 episodes, 1955-1961)
    Don Haggerty ... Marsh Murdock / ... (12 episodes, 1955-1961)
    William Tannen ... Deputy Hal Norton (12 episodes, 1956-1958)
    Steve Pendleton ... Thacker / ... (9 episodes, 1957-1961)
    Bill Cassady ... Dr. McCarty / ... (9 episodes, 1957-1959)
    Trevor Bardette ... Old Man Clanton (9 episodes, 1958-1961)
    Damian O'Flynn ... Doc Goodfellow / ... (8 episodes, 1956-1961)

and many others, notably
    James Coburn,
    and some of Duke's 'Pals'
    Carleton Young, Grant Withers and Adele Mara

Series Directed
    Paul Landres (24 episodes, 1960-1961)
    Frank McDonald (2 episodes, 1955-1956)

Series Produced by
    Robert Sisk .... executive producer (8 episodes, 1956-1959)
    Louis F. Edelman .... executive producer (unknown episodes)
    Roy Rowland .... producer (unknown episodes)

Series Writing Credits
    Frederick Hazlitt Brennan (20 episodes, 1960-1961)
    John Dunkel (5 episodes, 1957-1960)
    Daniel B. Ullman (unknown episodes)

Trivia
    * Shown on ABC from 6 September 1955 -26 September 1961. The series ended with an unusual five-part episode where Earp discovered crooked goin's on by the evil Clantons at the OK Corral with a climatic final shoot out.
    * From 1956 until 1959 the show was set in Dodge City, which was also the setting for "Gunsmoke" (1955). Marshall Matt Dillon is never mentioned, but in one episode Earp makes a passing reference to the Longbranch Saloon, a setting for much of the action on "Gunsmoke".

Filming Locations
    20th Century Fox Studios - 10201 Pico Blvd., Century City, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Corriganville, Ray Corrigan Ranch, Simi Valley, California, USA
    Iverson Ranch, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Melody Ranch - 24715 Oak Creek Avenue, Newhall, California, USA
    RKO Studios - 780 Gower Street, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp is a Western television series
    loosely based on the adventures of frontier marshal Wyatt Earp.
    The half-hour black and white series ran on ABC-TV from 1955 to 1961 and featured Hugh O'Brian as Earp.
    An off-camera barbershop quartet sang the theme song and hummed the background music in early episodes.
    Incidental music was composed by Herman Stein.
    The series was produced by Desilu Productions and filmed at the Desilu-Cahuenga Studio.
    Sponsors included: General Mills, Proctor & Gamble and Parker Pen Company.

One that got away.
    I'd almost forgotten about this one,
    but on reflection, and in my opinion,
    one of the great TV classics.
    Hugh O'Brian of course completely stole the show,
    and I must admit didn't look any older when
    he appeared with Duke in

The Shootist.

Also take a look at

Pals Of The Saddle- Hugh O'Brian

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Ethan, it's a shame that we can't watch any of this classic show. I think the only movie I have seen Hugh in is The Shootist. I would love to see him in another role.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• The only other movie I can remember Hugh in was with the Duke in the movie "In Harms Way" where he dies in a car wreck after spending the night on a beach in Hawaii
    with Kirk Douglas's wife.

• Hi all,

Keith, I just about remember this classic.
    The thing that always stood out was his
    long barrel six guns.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I've only seen a few episodes of this show as well and liked them. It'll be another i'll add to the collection if it is on DvD?

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• He just might be, Stumpy. The article said he's 46. In the movie Tombstone, Billy Claiborne was played by Waytt Earp III, who is supposed to be a distant relative of the original Wyatt. He to, is now 46. So it's quite possible. Also, if you go to IMDB.com and look up the movie Tombstone and scroll down through the cast, click on Wyatt Earp and his short bio will come up. Off to the left is a photo of Wyatt Earp III and if you can get ahold of a photo of Wyatt I when he was young, you can see the resemblance. Right now, I'm reading the book Wyatt Earp: The Life Behind The Legend by Casey Tefertiller and on the cover is the photo of young Wyatt I and like I said, you can tell they're related.

• [extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ck9V7Fs1A_M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ck9V7Fs1A_M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Follow up to my post of Aug. 5th. I bought the first season of Wyatt Earp the other day and it's fabulous. I watched disc 1, about 8 episodes and the b&w picture is very clear and crisp. In fact, the picture quality is better than when it was on back in the 50's. Of course, modern tv's are much better. I bought it at my local Best Buy and it was $30. It's 5 discs and 35 episodes. Only trouble is, there's no liner notes or anything like that. Don't know if there's any extras on the discs themselves but, it's worth getting and watching. Brings back memories.

• Thought I'd give this a little bump. They announced on Encore Westerns the other day that beginning in January, they'll be showing episodes of The Life And Legend Of Wyatt Earp. Can hardly wait for that.

• Lookin' forward to catching some of these episodes while at work tomorrow. I was never a fan of the show, but I caught the Wyatt Earp Return to Dodge some years back, that showed a lot OK Corral related episodes. That got me interested in seeing it. I could never buy Hugh O'Brien as Wyatt, but it looks like fun overall.

• Back when I was a youngster, Wyatt Earp was one of my favorite TV shows. O'Brien did a TV movie several years back called, "Wyatt Earp: Return to Tombstone." It also starred Bruce Boxleitner, Harry Carry, Jr., and Paul Brinegar (from Rawhide). It wasn't an Oscar winner, but it was good to see O'Brien as Earp one more time.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Back when I was a youngster, Wyatt Earp was one of my favorite TV shows. O'Brien did a TV movie several years back called, "Wyatt Earp: Return to Tombstone." It also starred Bruce Boxleitner, Harry Carry, Jr., and Paul Brinegar (from Rawhide). It wasn't an Oscar winner, but it was good to see O'Brien as Earp one more time.

..and here is our dedicated thread
    Wyatt Earp: Return to Tombstone

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Just checked on Amazon and on March 12th, Season 2 of The Life And Legend Of Wyatt Earp will be released on DVD. It will be a 5 disc set with 39 half hour episodes. They've already been showing some episodes from Season 2 on Encore Westerns.