Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

There are 35 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 32,689 times. The latest Post () was by JohnWayneFan4Life.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• [extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H39CxyNfNOM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H39CxyNfNOM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I'm not a huge fan of this movie for various reasons, foremost of which that Redford can't act. His voice is annoying and somehow sounds off key to me. He was better in Jeremiah Johnson because he didn't talk as much.
    The music also annoys me and yet this film won Academy Awards for Best Song and Best Soudtrack. I think the Academy members got confused and voted for the hugely popular song. That cruddy music for the Bolivian bank robbing montage should removed from all prints.
    When Butch crotch kicks Harvey, the scene is sped up and looks like a Max Sennett move; same with Butch scrunching his face at the bull.
    On the plus side is some snappy, albeit anachronistic, dialog; Strother Martin; and a rousing shootout near the end.
    I might watch this again some day, but not like I'd look forward to like Searchers, Red River, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, or Alamo.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I didn't like this western at all. Of course it didn't help that both Newman and Redford were so far to the Left, but it really didn't feel like a proper western to me. My opinion of Newman went down a lot after I read how he treated Charlton Heston.

• I didn't like this western at all. Of course it didn't help that both Newman and Redford were so far to the Left, but it really didn't feel like a proper western to me. My opinion of Newman went down a lot after I read how he treated Charlton Heston.

I never heard about that. What happened between Newman and Heston?
    As for the Butch and Sundance movie, I liked it. Thought it was very entertaining and that it played more on the legend of the two rather than the actual history.

• I never heard about that. What happened between Newman and Heston?
    As for the Butch and Sundance movie, I liked it. Thought it was very entertaining and that it played more on the legend of the two rather than the actual history.

Newman and Heston were friends in the 1960s when they both supported the Civil Rights movement. However, as we know Chuck at some point began to switch his political views. In 1983 Newman and Heston took part in a TV debate on President Reagan's Star Wars defense system. Heston, arguing in favor, easily won the argument. Newman never forgave him for this. When he heard that Heston was due to introduce him at an award ceremony in 1995 he insisted Heston should be replaced with the ultra left-wing Donald Sutherland.

• Newman and Heston were friends in the 1960s when they both supported the Civil Rights movement. However, as we know Chuck at some point began to switch his political views. In 1983 Newman and Heston took part in a TV debate on President Reagan's Star Wars defense system. Heston, arguing in favor, easily won the argument. Newman never forgave him for this. When he heard that Heston was due to introduce him at an award ceremony in 1995 he insisted Heston should be replaced with the ultra left-wing Donald Sutherland.

Well, politics has ruined many a good friendship.

• I wouldn't call Paul Classless he just let his political ideals get the better of him and lost a dear friend in the process that's all and sadly never had a chance to make up with Heston as heston died almost six months before him

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• I wouldn't call Paul Classless he just let his political ideals get the better of him and lost a dear friend in the process that's all and sadly never had a chance to make up with Heston as heston died almost six months before him

Yes Newman was dying of lung cancer when Heston died. I never could enjoy Butch Cassidy at all since it starred two of Hollyweird's most vocal left-wing loons.

• More to the point, neither Newman nor Redford were at all believable in a western (much like today's stars). The movie would have worked much better with Steve McQueen as Butch.