The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)

There are 11 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,982 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE OX-BOW INCIDENT

DIRECTED BY WILLIAM A. WELLMAN
    PRODUCED BY LAMAR TROTTI
    20th. CENTURY FOX

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    Two drifters are passing through a Western town, when news comes in that a local farmer
    has been murdered and his cattle stolen.
    The townspeople, joined by the drifters, form a posse to catch the perpetrators.
    They find three men in possession of the cattle, and are determined
    to see justice done on the spot.
    Written by David Levene

Cast
    Henry Fonda ... Gil Carter
    Dana Andrews ... Donald Martin
    Mary Beth Hughes ... Rose Mapen / Rose Swanson
    Anthony Quinn ... Juan Martínez / Francisco Morez
    William Eythe ... Gerald Tetley
    Harry Morgan ... Art Croft (as Henry Morgan)
    Jane Darwell ... Jenny Grier
    Matt Briggs ... Judge Daniel Tyler
    Harry Davenport ... Arthur Davies
    Frank Conroy ... Maj. Tetley
    Marc Lawrence ... Jeff Farnley
    Paul Hurst ... Monty Smith
    Victor Kilian ... Darby
    Chris-Pin Martin ... Poncho
    Willard Robertson ... Sheriff
    Ted North ... Joyce
    And many more, including, notably,
    Francis Ford and Frank McGrath.

Writing credits
    Lamar Trotti (writer)
    Walter Van Tilburg Clark (novel)

Original Music
    Cyril J. Mockridge

Trivia
    * Henry Fonda, who had a deferment, enlisted in the U.S. Navy immediately upon completing filming for this movie.

* When he was a child, Henry Fonda's father took him to the Omaha town square to show him the results of a lynching the night before. When young Henry asked what this had to do with them, the elder Fonda replied "Lynching is the business of any man who's around." Fonda made sure that this line (or a slight reworking of it) was inserted into the script.

* This was the last movie ever nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture which received no other Academy Award nominations.

* Henry Fonda was generally unhappy with the quality of the films he had to do while under contract with 20th Century Fox. This was one of only two films from that period that he was actually enthusiastic about starring in. The other was The Grapes of Wrath (1940).

* Director William A. Wellman loved the novel "The Ox-Bow Incident" and had long wanted to make it into a film, but the rights-holders insisted that he cast Mae West in any adaptation, which Wellman thought was ridiculous. Finally, Wellman bought the rights himself, and proceeded to make the film "his" way.

* Head of 20th Century Fox, Darryl F. Zanuck, overcame his objections to the contentious nature of the film by insisting that it be made cheaply on studio sets.

Goofs
    * Continuity: Gil Carter (Fonda) pulls his gun out twice when the mob first arrives at the Ox-Bow.

* Crew or equipment visible: SPOILER: After the Major Tetley character takes his own life behind the closed door to his study, Frank Conroy, (the actor portraying him), or a crew member apparently begins to open the door just before the cut away to Tetley's son's reaction.

Filming Locations
    Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, California, USA
    Backlot, 20th Century Fox Studios - 10201 Pico Blvd., Century City, Los Angeles, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Ox-Bow Incident is a 1943 American Western film noir directed by William A. Wellman
    and starring Henry Fonda, Dana Andrews and Mary Beth Hughes,
    and featuring Anthony Quinn, William Eythe, Harry Morgan and Jane Darwell.

Two drifters are passing through a Western town, when news comes in that a local farmer has been murdered and his cattle stolen. The townspeople, joined by the drifters, form a posse to catch the perpetrators.
    They find three men in possession of the cattle, and are determined to see justice done on the spot.

The film premiered in May 1943 to positive reviews from critics.
    It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture at the
    16th Academy Awards, losing to Casablanca.

In 1998, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry
    by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."
    The film was adapted from the 1940 novel of the same name, written by Walter Van Tilburg Clark.

This was not just a western, but also a harrowing story.
    Brilliantly directed by William Wellman, and although it starred Henry Fonda,
    he was more a witness, with Dana Andrews, having the key role,
    with a sensitive portayal,of Donald Martin.
    At the time Fonda, claimed this along with Grapes Of Wrath
    was the only two recent films he was enthusiastic about!
    So did many others, as this film
    is in most lists of top Western Classics

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I'm feeling kinda sorry for this movie review.
    Even though nominated for an Academy Award,
    and starred a members favourite, Henry Fonda,
    it's the only review that hasn't been posted on,
    in the recent flurry on these threads!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• I just noticed that Fondas characters name in this is Gil Carter. In Drums Along The Mohawk, his characters name is also Gil but, the last name is Martin. Not a very common name, which makes it unique for an actor to play two characters in two different movies with the same first name.

• Somehow I missed this review, even if I was around most of July. I was out at August and will be again until 19 of September.
    I have this movie, but watched it only once and it made very dark impression over me. I think that Fonda's playing is exellent so as direction is brilliant, but it leaves very sad impression. Most of westerns gives us courege and beleif that you can owercome any life difficalties. In this even positive hero's are driven by mob and can't do nothing about wrong judjment and linching.
    Regards,
    Senta

• I haven't seen this movie yet, but had always wanted to. Whomever sees it please give me your opinions of it. And yup, it's on DvD and I have been putting off buying it at deep discount dvd-for other movies.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Ox-Bow Incident is a very moody dark western. Good cast and very talkative. Little action. Generally okay but I would be with Darryl Zanuck on this one.

There is a good Biography Channel on Henry Fonda included with DVD