The Heroes of Telemark (1965)

There are 17 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,464 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• HEROES OF TELEMARK

DIRECTED BY ANTHONY MANN
    PRODUCED BY BENJAMIN FISZ
    BENTON FILM PRODUCTIONS

Information From IMDB

Plot Summary
    During WW2 Norway was occupied by Germany. In the clear deep fjords they tried to produce "heavy" water; a vital component in the making of an atomic bomb. A weapon that would win the war for Germany. Norwegian resistance movement finds out about this and the allied are alerted. But will they have the time and opportunity to stop this from happening?
    Written by rof

Cast
    Kirk Douglas ... Dr. Rolf Pedersen
    Richard Harris ... Knut Straud
    Ulla Jacobsson ... Anna Pedersen
    Michael Redgrave ... Uncle
    David Weston ... Arne
    Sebastian Breaks ... Gunnar
    John Golightly ... Freddy
    Alan Howard ... Oli
    Patrick Jordan ... Henrik
    William Marlowe ... Claus
    Brook Williams ... Einar
    Roy Dotrice ... Jensen
    Anton Diffring ... Maj. Frick
    Ralph Michael ... Nilssen
    Eric Porter ... Terboven
    Wolf Frees ... Knippelberg
    Karel Stepanek ... Hartmuller
    Gerard Heinz ... Ernardt
    Victor Beaumont ... German Sergeant
    George Murcell ... Sturmfuhrer
    Mervyn Johns ... Col. Wilkinson
    Barry Jones ... Prof. Logan
    Geoffrey Keen ... Gen. Bolt
    Robert Ayres ... Gen. Courts
    Jennifer Hilary ... Sigrid
    Maurice Denham ... Doctor
    David Davies ... Captain of 'Galtesund'
    Philo Hauser ... Businessman
    Faith Brook ... Woman on Bus
    Elvi Hale ... Mrs. Sandersen
    Russell Waters ... Mr. Sandersen
    Jan Conrad ... Watchman in Factory
    Annette Andre ... Girl Student (uncredited)
    Grace Arnold ... Passenger on 'Galtesund' (uncredited)
    Robert Bruce ... Major (uncredited)
    Pamela Conway ... Girl in Darkroom (uncredited)
    Howard Douglas ... Passenger on 'Galtesund' (uncredited)
    Paul Hansard ... German Official (uncredited)
    Jemma Hyde ... (uncredited)
    Brian Jackson ... Norwegian Naval Attache (uncredited)
    Alf Joint ... German Ferry Guard (uncredited)
    John Moulder-Brown ... (uncredited)
    Terence Plummer ... Quisling (uncredited)
    Joe Powell ... Quisling (uncredited)

Writing credits
    (in alphabetical order)
    Ben Barzman screenplay
    John Drummond novel (uncredited)
    Knut Haukelid novel (uncredited)
    Ivan Moffat screenplay

Trivia
    * The last film role of Barry Jones.

Goofs
    * Revealing mistakes: When they meet Jensen on the plateau, Knut Straud is meant to be wearing skis. He manages to turn completely around without the usual action of lifting his skis up to the vertical (the shot of him is only from the waist up) that is necessary to turn around while standing still wearing skis.

* Factual errors: In the opening scenes where the Nazi command convoy is driving along the cliff road, the Mercedes cars are right-hand-drive. Germany has always been left-hand-drive, so one can only assume that they used UK-built cars.

* Continuity: After shooting Jensen, Dr. Pedersen tucks his pistol into his belt with the grip to the right. When the German doctor lifts his jacket, revealing the pistol, the grip is to the left.

* Revealing mistakes: In the last shots of the lifeboats on the lake, the downdraft from the rotor of the camera helicopter is clearly visible on the water.

Filming Locations
    Gausta, Telemark, Norway
    Oslo, Norway
    Rjukan, Telemark, Norway
    Tinnsjø, Norway

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 7 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Heroes of Telemark is a British 1965 Eastman Color war film directed by Anthony Mann
    based on the true story of the Norwegian heavy water sabotage during World War II
    from "Skis Against the Atom", the memoirs of Norwegian resistance soldier Knut Haukelid.

The film stars Kirk Douglas as Dr Rolf Pedersen and Richard Harris as Knut Straud,
    along with Ulla Jacobsson as Anna Pedersen.

It was filmed on location in Norway.

By request, I have posted this review of a gripping movie,
    brilliantly directed by Anthony Mann.
    Based on fact, and taken on location,
    this films stars, Kirk Douglas, Richrad Harris,
    and an array of some great American, British and European actors.
    I enjoy this film everytime I see it, and like many from this
    period, represents the finest of classic war movies.

User Review
    Norwegian heroes and Sweden's...
    1 April 2008 | by fedor8 (Serbia)

THOF offers cheesy German accents and I'm sure a few liberties with historical facts, but for those who nitpick at a Kirk Douglas film made in the mid-60s, keep in mind that it's just that: a simple little mid-60s war film with Kirk Douglas. It is fun, quick, not too talky, and with some very nice snowy scenery. Not dull in spite of its length of 2 hours plus, so what more can one expect from a simplistic little action film? Norwegian viewers might understandably get a little annoyed by the bending of facts, but at least movies about Norway's role in the war were made - which can't be said about Sweden. There will never be a movie about Sweden's fight against the Nazis, and this alone should give the Norwegians some satisfaction...

IMDb states that both shorter (i.e. butchered) versions of THOF were released in Germany. Hmm, I wonder why...

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi Keith, this is one of my favorite movies with Kirk Douglas in it. I think I have only seen this movie once all the way through. Usually I catch only the tail end. Anyway, it's a pretty good film and is a favorite of mine. There just are not enough Hollywoodland-made movies about the Norwegian Resistance in WWII. Norway is being ignored and it kinda ticks me off.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Keith, this is one of my favorite movies with Kirk Douglas in it. I think I have only seen this movie once all the way through. Usually I catch only the tail end. Anyway, it's a pretty good film and is a favorite of mine. There just are not enough Hollywoodland-made movies about the Norwegian Resistance in WWII. Norway is being ignored and it kinda ticks me off.

Two of my favorite war movies centering on the Norwegian resistance are, Commandos Strike At Dawn w/ Paul Muni and Edge Of Darkness w/ Errol Flynn, Walter Huston and, Ann Sheridan.

• Two of my favorite war movies centering on the Norwegian resistance are, Commandos Strike At Dawn w/ Paul Muni and Edge Of Darkness w/ Errol Flynn, Walter Huston and, Ann Sheridan.

Hi Waynamo/ I have never seen the Commandos Strike At Dawn, but have always wanted to do so. As for Edge of Darkness, I only saw part of it once when played on WTBS some 20 or so years ago. I remember liking it and this is another movie I wish the studio (W.B) would hurry up and release.

• I forgot to mention that I have a friend on a Military website that whose Father, was in the Norwegian Resistance and knows and is friends with a few of those men who were on the raid. I don't recall how many there were on the raid but, I do know that at least five or six of them are still living.

My friend Odd-Arild, is a 1st Lt. in the Norwegian Armies Mountain Corps, and he has been very helpful to some of my research into the matter. Odd is trying to see if I can have any of those mens addresses, so I can contact them. Hopefully that will be soon. Also, did you know that some of that "Heavy Water" that went down with the sinking of that ship was salvaged after the war and for many many years, that water was sold in gift shops in timy glass vials-to tourists. Also, that water (at time of making) is perfectly drinkable.

Recently, several 55 Gal drums were salvaged from the wreck and the drums were completely intact and the water in them is as it was back during the war.

Sorry for straying off topic some ;-))

• [extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7Mj9nSB0Nc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7Mj9nSB0Nc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Any news and or hopes that this cassic s going to be released on DvD anytime soon? I think this is one story that could use a re-telling but only if it stas true to the real story.

• This was also the last completed film by director Anthony Mann who directed many of the Jimmy Stewart classic westerns in the 1950s. Ringo Heroes of Telemark is available on DVD in Region 2. I actually got my copy as part of a newspaper promotion of classic war movies for free.

Mike

• Hi Mike, thanks for that. I might have to get a region 2 copy-just so I can have it. I wonder why its not availble here? I guess maybe that it wasn't a product of hollywood?

• Hi All,
    I purchased this film on DVD along with two others in "Silver Screen Classics". The other films were - Reach for the Sky and The Malta Story. They are readily available here in Australia. Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• I thoroughly enjoy this movie. I have met Anton Diffring and Karel Stepanek when doing some work at Pinewood Film Studios in the late 1950's. Both were very easy to talk to. I must admit that I originally thought Anton was of German descent being as he always seemed to be in WW2 German Uniform. I think that both should have been given more in this film. All in all I really enjoy watching it.
    Regards
    Redcap

• I thoroughly enjoy this movie. I have met Anton Diffring and Karel Stepanek when doing some work at Pinewood Film Studios in the late 1950's. Both were very easy to talk to. I must admit that I originally thought Anton was of German descent being as he always seemed to be in WW2 German Uniform. I think that both should have been given more in this film. All in all I really enjoy watching it.
    Regards
    Redcap

Hi Redcap,

That's fascinating that you met these great people.
    As you say, everyone would assume Anton was German.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Karel Stepanek was also very clever with his hands. We were installing some new heating in the studios when he came across and knew as much about construction work as we did. Anton used to get cups of tea sent up from the canteen. How we finished the job I'll never know. Both men have great senses of humour, especially putting on a thick German accent.
    Redcap

• The Mercedes Cars used in this film were actually imported from Germany for another film and converted by a British company as the orriginal film was supposed to be filmed in Sweden, which at that time like England drove on the left side of the road. The other film was scrapped and the vehicles used in this film.
    Redcap

• Ringo,

Last night on The Military Channel, they had a program all about The Heroes Of Telemark. Not the movie but, the real people. I just happened to come across it about half way through so, I missed the first half and didn't watch the last half and I don't know if it was a newer program or one that's been on before. I just know that it's the first time I've seen any program about it, other than the movie from years ago.

• Ringo,

Last night on The Military Channel, they had a program all about The Heroes Of Telemark. Not the movie but, the real people. I just happened to come across it about half way through so, I missed the first half and didn't watch the last half and I don't know if it was a newer program or one that's been on before. I just know that it's the first time I've seen any program about it, other than the movie from years ago.

Jim,
    I remember this being on British TV about 5 or 6 years ago,
    it was indeed a very interesting documentary.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England