Did JW cry in any of his movies?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 23 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by tjtbrtsrt.

• Did JW cry in any of his movies?

We had a new member join us last night, and she had a very good question.

MeanJean wrote:

I found this site through a Google search to find out if John Wayne ever cried on-screen. Got a bet going with my son and DH, I say he never cried in any of his movies. This site looks like a good place to find out! :shades_smile:

She posted her question and intro in the Newbie section, but I thought I'd copy her question over here to General Discussions and hopefully give it wider coverage.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any movies in which John Wayne cries, but I can't be certain.

Let's see if we can help the lady out!

Chester :newyear:
    • Re: Did JW cry in any of his movies?

As I mentioned in "Welcome New Members" topic, I don't remember Duke crying in any of his movies specifically, but he came close in one scene of "Island in the Sky" where all hope seemed lost. My impression is that the character was more concerned with his flight crew than himself!
      For those that think John Wayne couldn't act, this is one of his movies to see that puts the lie to that idea!
      Cheers - Jay:beer:

Jay J. Foraker wrote:

. . . he came close in one scene of "Island in the Sky" where all hope seemed lost. My impression is that the character was more concerned with his flight crew than himself!
      For those that think John Wayne couldn't act, this is one of his movies to see that puts the lie to that idea!

You are so right! That look of utter despair - I remember it vividly, and it has been a couple of years at least since I watched that film.

Chester :newyear:

erthomp143 wrote:

In Hurricane Express he almost cry's for his dad when the train crashes... he does some screaming, but no tears.

I seem to remember a few others where he got close, but no tears, can't list them though.

I remember that so well, Duke was almost hysterical to the point of
      running around like a headless chicken!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Just thinking,
      on a similar theme to this,
      I guess the only time Duke ever cried ABOUT
      a movie, is when Chill Wills
      made is inept remarks about The Alamo.
      Gees, didn't that do Duke's film a load of good!!!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Hi All
      In "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon",When Capt.Brittles(JW) gets a silver watch
      as a present from his troopers,He sniffs a tear and reads the inscription,
      "Lest We Forget".
      I guess he did almost cry. and what a nice scene!

regards,
      H.sanada
      Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
      ~Steve McQueen~

H.sanada wrote:

Hi All
      "Lest We Forget".

regards,
      H.sanada

Good memory, Sanada. I had forgotten all about that scene.
      De gustibus non est disputandum

ethanedwards wrote:

Just thinking,
      on a similar theme to this,
      I guess the only time Duke ever cried ABOUT
      a movie, is when Chill Wills
      made is inept remarks about The Alamo.
      Gees, didn't that do Duke's film a load of good!!!

Everything went so wrong prior to the Oscars that year! Not only Chill Wills made an #&* of himself, but also publicist Russell Birdwell (who Wayne subsequently fired, if memory serves) rubbed everybody in the Academy the wrong way with his public appeals for an Oscar! I'm sure Duke had some very strong and choice words for these two in private. (He evidently relented some in the case of Wills since he had him in the cast of "McLintock.")

H.sanada wrote:

Hi All
      "Lest We Forget".
      regards,
      H.sanada

I'd forgotten about that one also. There was a hint of a tear in his eye in that scene.

There were two scenes in "The Cowboys" in which he at the very least had tears in his eyes, the first one was as the funeral of the little boy who got killed and the second scene was Dukes final scene in the movie when he tells the boys he is proud of them.

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie