Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 38 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by wtrayah.

• Re: Classic War Movies- Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970)

In the 1970s my Wife Martha and I spent a Lot of Time in Hawaiian Islands, and we almost bought a House in Kona on the Big Island, and We were there when Duke Passed On in 1979 !
      :wink_smile:
      Every time we Visited
      "The Arizona"
      We Teared Up !!
      :uhhuh::cry2:
      The Film Tora, Tora, Tora was Just about as Close To The Truth as You Could Get.
      :vomit:
      Below are some Pictures of The Arizona and The Ships Bells, One that is Back Home in The State Of Arizona !!!
      :angry:
      Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for the photos. Im still pretty angered about what happened that day. Ill almost bet that our new so-called--leader, probably apologised to the Japanese for the US shooting down several of their aircraft as well as sinking a midget sub >:-((
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Hi All,
      I admit to liking this film as has been said very close to the truth. Unfortunately when in the Army we had an exchange unit from Schofield Barracks and some of the comments about the country leaders were quite explicit. However my major concern is that the Japanese tried to teach their children that America started the conflict. I found it frustrating at the Australian War Memorial when Japanese students asked if the displays were real.
      Regards
      Redcap
      RACMP - For the troops With the troops

Hi Redcap, that is true about the Japanese kids being tought wrong. I was actually in contact for some months, with a Japanese Reporter from Nagasaki? who was asking me for help on researching some pacific battles I never had heard of because he was working on a Documentary about those battles. I was trying to help him get in touch with American Vets who took part in those battles. Anyway, this reporter told me he was wanting to get the full truth out to the Japanese public, about what really happened in WWII, instead of what their revisionist teachers actually taught in classrooms. I really do hope he did as he said he was going to do.

Probably for this attack we have to look at the Royal Navy attack on Taranto harbour where the Fairey Swordfish sunk three Italian Battleships. Yamamoto actually said this when planning the attack. Plus Taranto was like Pearl shallow, (45 feet) and the Japanese copied the torpedoes from the Royal Navy, after a lot of experimentation.
      Redcap

Its a shame that those Italian Battleships couldn't be captured. Those from what i've read in the past about, were basically like the "Ferraris" of the Worlds Navies.

The Ringo Kid wrote:

Hi Redcap, that is true about the Japanese kids being tought wrong. I was actually in contact for some months, with a Japanese Reporter from Nagasaki? who was asking me for help on researching some pacific battles I never had heard of because he was working on a Documentary about those battles. I was trying to help him get in touch with American Vets who took part in those battles. Anyway, this reporter told me he was wanting to get the full truth out to the Japanese public, about what really happened in WWII, instead of what their revisionist teachers actually taught in classrooms. I really do hope he did as he said he was going to do.

Don't know if this true but, some years back, I heard or read somewhere that the Japanese were telling their school kids that the reason they attacked Pearl Harbor was because we dropped the A-Bomb on them. Maybe they're trying to convince them that Emperor Hirohito, being a god, was able to forsee the A-Bomb attacks and needed to strike first.

Hi Jim, I wouldn't be surprised at that. I absolutely hate revisionist history. Two great books were virtually destroyed when they were reprinted. These two books were The American Heritage Book of WWII and The American Heritage Book of the US Civil War. The original books were outstanding. The reprints some years ago-were drasticalkly changed to be politically correct and was full of BS revisionist history. I CAN'T stand these Lemming PC crouds.

As I stated before, the Japanese certainly took their lead from Taranto. It was a pity that those battleships weren't captured, as you say they were the Ferraris of the large warships. It would certainly upset the revisionist writers in Japan for the whole truth to come out. Unfortunately I don't think this will happen, as I was talking to some Japanese students here in Queensland, and they asked why Australia attacked Japan along with England and America. Still we can only hope.
      Regards
      Redcap

Hi Bill, I fully agree with you and VERY well said. Im constantly eh hem "correcting" people over at ww2f on things. Somehwo if they would take a little time away from watching mtv and read a few books, wouldn't have to be always correcting them ;-))

Hi All,
      A Japanese student at the International College near here was sent home because she questioned the literature from Japan about WW2. Apparently the tutors are paid by the Japanese Government who dictate what is taught and said. If this is so we have no hope of the truth coming out.
      Redcap

Redcap wrote:

Hi All,
      A Japanese student at the International College near here was sent home because she questioned the literature from Japan about WW2. Apparently the tutors are paid by the Japanese Government who dictate what is taught and said. If this is so we have no hope of the truth coming out.
      Redcap

More revisionist """"historians"""" and I use the word: Historians--VERY loosly. Those people should get a severe dressing down by some WWII Aussie Vets - especially those who fought hard on the Kokoda Trail and at Imphal & Kohima-against the Japanese as well as those magnificent Desert Rats holding off Rommels Afrika Korps @ Tobruk.

To me, them sending that student home as well as spouting their garbage revisionist history, is not only a major slap in the face to all Aussie Vets, but to British Vets and our Guys too.

I certainly agree with you on the so called historians. I think it was last year, 2008, that the Royal British Legion actually turned their backs on the Queen who was sitting in a carriage with the Japanese Prime Minister. This was to show the British Government, the Royal Family and the Japanese people that they had not forgotten the atrocities performed by the Japanese Military.
      Regards
      Redcap